TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

spare tire install

Discussion in 'Model X' started by afdfog, Jun 27, 2016.

1. afdfog

afdfog Member

Has anyone changed a tire on hey model X themselves? I have a spare tire for road trip emergencies and I am interested in where to place a scissor jack on the undercarriage to lift the car. Any thoughts? Thanks……..Dave

2. NovemberXray

NovemberXray Member

The jack points, and the procedure (very important to put it in jack mode due to the self leveling suspension) are described in the owners manual. :)

• Informative x 2
  3. afdfog

afdfog Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply...........Dave

4. Jeff4155

Jeff4155 Member

As was said above never forget too lock the air suspension, I made that mistake with my Touareg, almost dropped the damn thing on me while changing to off road tires, after the vehicle was jacked up and the wheel was already off it decided to level out, lucky for me I quickly pushed one of the spare Tires underneath the axel and it stopped.

5. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Are you sure about this? I looked in the manual and the only discussion I found about jack points (page 165) was referring to 'lift arm pads' (plural) like you would see to lift the entire car in a service garage, not just one corner for changing a single tire. I'm wondering if the battery pack is designed to take that kind of torsion.

I'm also interested in being able to keep a spare tire, but I wonder if Tesla planned for that. I don't see verbiage in the manual about being able to use a spare. All they say is that electric cars shouldn't have spares because they weigh too much.

By the way, would there be enough height in the front trunk to fit that spare, or maybe a compact one? Has anyone actually changed a single tire on a Tesla? Is it correct that if you use a sealer like Tesla sells as a temporary fix that it makes the tire unrepairable? That would be an expensive flat fix (a new tire).