Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

spare tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
btlatum, curious if you've had any other uses of this spare? I'm going on a longer trip in a few months and was looking at this Modern Spare as an option.

Has anybody else bought this product and had a good/bad experience?

Thanks
No, I've not needed it any other time as I've never had any other incidences of a tire's being punctured. For me, it's worth having, at least when I'm on long (4K mile+) trips that can be hundreds of miles from a Tesla (or other) service center. The wheel+tire unit in its carrying bag weighs about 38 pounds. The required adapter (I've a '19 MS Long Range) weighs about 4.5 pounds. Together, they're less than 1% of the car's curb weight (the jack and tools will add a few more pounds), so I don't really think all that "extra" weight is having much of a deleterious effect on range or acceleration. For folks who live in the metro areas of southern or northern California, a spare may be superfluous. But in large parts of the US and for me personally, it beats having to spend time and effort to get the car back onto the road by involving other parties. In the end, I suppose it's personal choice: I've been driving since 1966 and have changed more than a few flats, most on radial-ply tires (my first car with them was a '79 Datsun 280ZX). I prefer the option of being able to do so.

Reactions: Wol747
No, I've not needed it any other time as I've never had any other incidences of a tire's being punctured. For me, it's worth having, at least when I'm on long (4K mile+) trips that can be hundreds of miles from a Tesla (or other) service center. The wheel+tire unit in its carrying bag weighs about 38 pounds. The required adapter (I've a '19 MS Long Range) weighs about 4.5 pounds. Together, they're less than 1% of the car's curb weight (the jack and tools will add a few more pounds), so I don't really think all that "extra" weight is having much of a deleterious effect on range or acceleration. For folks who live in the metro areas of southern or northern California, a spare may be superfluous. But in large parts of the US and for me personally, it beats having to spend time and effort to get the car back onto the road by involving other parties. In the end, I suppose it's personal choice: I've been driving since 1966 and have changed more than a few flats, most on radial-ply tires (my first car with them was a '79 Datsun 280ZX). I prefer the option of being able to do so.
When you think that a passenger is something in the order of 150 -230 pounds it's not really significant anyway.

Reactions: btlalum
Like some others have said, it depends if you want to pay for the “insurance” of buying a spare. I hadn’t had a flat tire in over a decade but last year while on a road trip, my TPMS alert went off and my tire pressure rapidly dropped from the 40s to zero in less than 30 seconds at freeway speeds. I pulled over and tried to use a can of slime to temporarily patch it, but realized that some metal debris on the freeway caused a 3-4 inch laceration in the middle of the tread - unrepairable.

I ended up getting it towed to the closest tire shop which was still an hour away (no Tesla service centers within 2 hours) and had to store it overnight there until I could get a tire shipped from Tire Rack because the tire shop couldn’t find a replacement (which Tire Rack luckily could do next day). I was running Vredestein Quatrac pro all weather tires. It was a huge pain in the ass that would have been a much smaller pain in the ass if I had a spare (or a run flat tire). But then again, it also had been over a decade since my last flat.

Reactions: btlalum and Wol747
I have the Modern Spare in my garage. If I am anywhere within 200 miles, I can either have a friend bring it to me, or have my car towed to my house. Otherwise, I have the goop. I perhaps go on trips over 200 miles once or twice a year. In any event, it will take days to get a replacement tire for my car, so I wanted to have a spare for the 90%+ chances of me having a flat so I can use my car until the tire is replaced on the real wheel. I don't want to carry around all that weight all the time. If you have a model like I do (June 2020 LR+) with the single caliper on the rears that includes an integrated parking brake, you must order a spacer (huge and very heavy) from Modern Spare. It weighs as much as the spare. Not ideal, but it will work. Lug nuts to attach spacer are provided, but different size from wheels.
Thanks for all the replies everyone.
I have the compressor/goop in the frunk already. My S is a December 2020 LR+, so I will need that disk, thanks for that info.

Reactions: Wol747
My experience with a flat was bad. I used the Tesla app to seek roadside assistance. But despite being in a densely populated urban area, I had to wait 90 minutes for a tow truck (to be fair, Tesla paid for the tow truck.) I had to take an Uber to my house while my car was towed to a Tesla service center, then had to pay inflated prices ($375) for a replacement tire. I was without the use of my car for about 24 hours. I've changed many a flat tire and would have been much happier to spend 10 minutes putting on the spare and subsequently going to the tire shop at my convenience. I will be purchasing a spare and keeping it in the car to avoid this level of difficulty in the future. I can't imagine going on a long road trip without one.

My experience with a flat was bad. I used the Tesla app to seek roadside assistance. But despite being in a densely populated urban area, I had to wait 90 minutes for a tow truck (to be fair, Tesla paid for the tow truck.) I had to take an Uber to my house while my car was towed to a Tesla service center, then had to pay inflated prices ($375) for a replacement tire. I was without the use of my car for about 24 hours. I've changed many a flat tire and would have been much happier to spend 10 minutes putting on the spare and subsequently going to the tire shop at my convenience. I will be purchasing a spare and keeping it in the car to avoid this level of difficulty in the future. I can't imagine going on a long road trip without one.
I had the added bonus of having to worry about my battery pack discharging when I was towed. I was down below 20 miles of range (I was driving directly home on a long road trip when I had the blow out) and I had to coordinate with the local tire shop to be sure they would plug it in for me once they pulled it into the shop. The good thing: the local SuperCharger is literally next door to the tire shop so I pulled in there to "top off" to make it home with enough charge. AND I scratched one of my rims pulling the car up on the flatbed (that was the least of my worries, honestly).

To be fair it takes more than ten minutes to change a rear on the MS! You have to fit the spacer and then the spare. But still better than the usual alternatives.

I have Modern spare which i carry in the car when i go on long trips especially if I am travelling to National Parks or outside CA. It is more for an emergency use so as not to ruin a family holiday trip. in case the tyre is not fixable. I have AAA, so I will call them to change the tyres for me if needed. Once back i put it back in the garage.

I apologize for the long post. I have a 2016 MS 90D and purchased a matching wheel/tire upon delivery. Tesla told me it was a waste of money but they were WRONG.

I keep the tire in my garage except when I am on road trips, when I also carry a low-profile platform jack.. Over the years, I have experienced three flats, one was an immediate blow-out and two were slow leaks. The slow leaks were changed at home. The blow-out was changed by me on the side of the highway. If you have not done this before, there are several things you should know.

The tire is a special-order foam-lined low-noise tire that almost no one keeps in stock. If your tire cannot be repaired, you will have to wait for a replacement to be ordered by your dealer. In addition, many tire dealers will refuse to change a tire on a Tesla due to fear of damaging the battery.

On my 2016 MS, the jack plates are narrow plastic rectangles with three holes. The plate is more narrow than the cup on a platform jack, increasing the chance of battery damage during jacking. In this forum, many years ago, members mentioned placement of a hockey puck into the cup of the jack to prevent the edge of the jack cup from damaging the vehicle adjacent to the jack. Alternatively, a member of this forum designed a wooden spacer that inserts into the jack plate and eliminates any chance of damaging your vehicle. Attached to this post is a PDF taken from this forum with the design and a picture of the final product made by me. This has saved me on several occasions.

Two additional warnings: 1: When your tire is flat, your car is so low to the ground that there is not enough room to get a jack between the car and the ground. Two resolve this problem, I carry a 24" piece of 4X4 lumber. When absolutely flat, I drive the flat tire on top of the 4X4. This creates the needed elevation to get the jack between the car and the ground. 2: I carry a breaker bar with a deep-well socket to fit the lug nuts. The chrome nuts that are visible are plastic caps, not your lug nuts. Make sure you pull off one of the plastic nuts and obtain a deep-well socket to fit the underlying lug nuts.

Being prepared saves a lot of anguish.

Attachments

• JackPad.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
I am purchasing a Model 3 and really concern about this. I know that the official explanation is very reasonable - I almost never use them since the day I owned a car (10+ years ago). However my car once being damaged by some bad guys - they stabbed my car on the side of tire to make the car not movable. What makes it worse is that it was a remote location and the roadside assistance need a whole day to reach me.

Without the spare tire this situation will become worse, although I think the Tesla cameras might capture the information for the police in this case.

No spare is for "City Boys". Driving in the rest of America a spare is required. I'll always carry one and a small jack with the lifting lugs. I can change it in less than 15 mins and be on the way, where as I'd wait for more than an hour to get a tow service to come to me, and even then I'm not back on the road if there is a puncture.

• Funny
Reactions: Wol747 and ucmndd
You need a substantial jack, capable of lifting the heavy weight of this car. I have this jack: 4000 LB - TruLift Ratcheting Scissor Jack w/ Rubber Contact Point and a Harbor Freight low profile racing jack for both spare tire changes and to lift one side of the car at the same time for tire rotation. I also put jack stands as a backup under the side of the car lifted in case of failure whenever possible. Use rubber hockey pucks between jack and car.

Last edited:
This is the frunk of my 2014 Model S with a stock wheel and tire. It is a snug fit, so there is no weight shifting. I also have AAA.
IMG_20220902_131011750_HDR.jpg