Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a spare and jack and tools needed to change a tire. I keep them in the trunk. The tire takes up a lot of room but after three flats and the associated hassles I'm happy giving up some room in trade for less hassles. BTW, the person at Tesla I spoke with about a spare recommended not putting a spare in the funk as that will reduce the effectiveness of the crumple zone in the event of a crash. Only soft stuff in the frunk. 'Course with the post-2016 Ss the frunk is so small a spare will not fit in there.

Thanks for that. Are the jack pads standard? I didn't realise that a jack isn't supplied.

Nothing to do with jacking the car is standard. All that must be purchased later. BTW, most people do not bother with a spare. Instead they either reply on Tesla or AAA roadside assistance or they just carry a tire repair and inflation kit (available from Tesla and many auto parts supply stores). Being paranoid, I carry all three. :)

But be careful what you buy. Some of the kits include some fluid that goes in the tire to patch small leaks but that can ruin the tire pressure sensors.

If you have any of the newer tesla model s with awd, you have to put the spare in the back. No way to fit it in the frunk. As for good spare, I would either try to get a tesla wheel and tires, but if you want something more compact, there are spare tires on ebay that claims to work well with Tesla. And it comes with the bag and tools to swap.

On road trips, I typically carry the spare, otherwise it stays home. I have roadside assistance with my insurance so no point not to use it. On road trips, I can be in a place with no cell reception and dont want to caught without one.

If you have older rwd, a full size spare fits in the frunk. I keep my winter tire in there in the summer and my summer tire in the winter, just in case!
It has saved me once already :)

As another poster said, that really reduces your front crumple zone's effectiveness. Do you want a bunch of crap shoved into the cabin if you hit something? I know i don't! Not that I have the option of putting a wheel in the front anyway.

On road trips, I typically carry the spare, otherwise it stays home. I have roadside assistance with my insurance so no point not to use it. On road trips, I can be in a place with no cell reception and dont want to caught without one.

FWIW that's what I used to do. Only carried it if going far from home. But then I had a flat just a few blocks from the Tesla Service Center. They were able to get a tow truck to me but it took nearly an hour. I could have had the tire changed and on my way long before that. So now the spare stays in the truck all the time.