Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Special Event with Elon in NYC on Nov 12?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they published just today that the Model S is a contender, doesn't that make it unlikely that they already made their choice a few days ago?

The choice is likely made (and I agree with all above who think this all smells like Model S taking the award with an announcement/bash on 11/12), they are just rolling out their "contenders" one at a time on their website to keep us all coming back everyday for more - seems to be working :)

Last edited:
Yeah: and what are the two largest media markets in the USA? Note that the Tesla event starts at 5:30pm EST, and MT's COTY choice goes live on the website at 6:30pm EST.

Sure looks like a done deal...but I'd be willing to bet MT COTY isn't the only 'milestone' Tesla announces at the event.

Is MT COTY that much more worthy that, for example, Autocar? i.e. enough to justify an event for Mt, but nothing aside from a PR for the Autocar COTY? It might be, I'm relatively new to US car mags. In the UK I guess the biggest deal would be Top Gear, followed by What Car, but not sure on the hierarchy over here.

The only problem I see with this theory is that it would require MT to inform Tesla that they had won well ahead of making any official announcement. Is that standard practice for this award? Seems like if you were MT you'd very carefully guard that envelope until you've milked it for every "who will it be" article you can.

The only problem I see with this theory is that it would require MT to inform Tesla that they had won well ahead of making any official announcement.....

As a professional courtesy telling the car maker of the pending award allows them to create perfectly timed ad campaigns on announcements. Tesla is such a small company that a gathering like this attracts more attention than a behemoth manufacturer having a party.