Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation - New charging plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He said there are two pins below the connector, not next to it. I don't think there is enough space to fit both a Tesla port and CCS port on the same side.

Well, I understood him differently.

Anyway, I think the theory that a CCS port could be next to it sounds quite plausible. Or could be coming next to it later on.

The port the car in the pic charges through is the regular Tesla port of course.

I guess what he is suggesting is CCS might be next to the Tesla port. (Covered with some material in this release candidate.)
He said there are two pins below the connector, not next to it. I don't think there is enough space to fit both a Tesla port and CCS port on the same side.

@stopcrazypp has it right -- my crazy yammering was based on what appeared to be two unexplained, CCS-looking pins below the Tesla port, not next to it. Hence my "even crazier idea" for how a Tesla connector and J1772 connector could occupy the same physical space, which is the only configuration where the presence of the CCS pins would still make sense.

I'm a noob, but what about standardisation between euro, US and Asia spec? what would be the best connector in this case?
Forget about a global standard, not going to happen.

There's a summary from the major non-Tesla standards around the world.
iec-fast-charging-all-standards.jpg

CHAdeMO (Japan) and GB/T (China) are completely different.

Only the CCS (called COMBO1 and COMBO2 in the picture) is somewhat compatible with each other (not physically, but the protocol). Combo 1 is used in USA. Combo 2 is used in Europe. The only difference is Combo 1 has the Type 1 (AKA J1772 AC connector) on the top, while the Combo 2 has the Type 2 connector on the top.

In USA, Tesla's connector is this, different from all of them, so it won't be trivial to make something physically compatible without an adapter:
tesla-dc-connector.jpg

tesla_ModelS_plugCU480x320.jpg

In Europe, Tesla's port is like the Type 2.
So in Europe, it's trivial for Tesla to just adopt Combo 2 (by adding two extra pins to the bottom).
125.jpg

Last edited:
@stopcrazypp has it right -- my crazy yammering was based on what appeared to be two unexplained, CCS-looking pins below the Tesla port, not next to it. Hence my "even crazier idea" for how a Tesla connector and J1772 connector could occupy the same physical space, which is the only configuration where the presence of the CCS pins would still make sense.

Fair enough, then I concur it was crazy yammering. :) I did note your other post @Bokonon on the convertible port, did just not read the two posts as the same idea...

But a CCS port next to the Tesla port is perfectly plausible.

Having the Tesla connector and a CCS (with j1712) connector in the 3 would be very nice indeed.

Takes pressure off of superchargers from new 3 owners and eliminates the need for a j1712 adaptor.

Could be added to S and X.
Cool if it ends up that way.

As a person who is educated in mechanical engineering, I can tell right away, that this
charging port cover has unacceptable design flaw.
One very narrow hinge on one side will make a lot of problems.
I really hope Tesla redesigns that before production starts.
Either two hinges or wider hinge in the middle. Otherwise it will be an easy target to accidentally break.

Also sharp edge further away from the taillight is a bad thing. And edge closer to the taillight, floating
in the air, will act as a hook to all kinds of straps and even loose clothing.

Designing this "extremely sh*tty hinge" definitely means that there is something big to the right.
And that "something big" can only be one thing: Nozzle for hydrogen refill. Just joking.

I'm a noob, but what about standardisation between euro, US and Asia spec? what would be the best connector in this case?

The actual chargers inside the car are different. Europe has a 3 phase charger, so it needs an extra pin on the connector for the third phase. All US/Asia standards only support 2 phase charging, because 3 phase power is less common. I suppose since the Type 2 connector also supports 2 phase charging and Teslas need an adaptor to use J1772 (Type 1) anyway, Tesla could switch to use the type 2 connector everywhere, but it wouldn't really make sense because there aren't any 3 phase AC charging stations outside of Europe. Therefore they would have to change the US supercharger plug for no benefit. (As a side note, Tesla uses the type 2 plug in Australia, but all public chargers are Type 1, and thats what other electric cars come with. Thats because cars imported to Australia generally come from car manufacturers Asian divisions, even though 3 phase power is somewhat common in Australia.)

• Informative
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
Fair enough, then I concur it was crazy yammering. :) I did note your other post @Bokonon on the convertible port, did just not read the two posts as the same idea...

They were only loosely related, inasmuch as my initial idea was inconveniently contradicted by reality and needed a radical overhaul. :)

But a CCS port next to the Tesla port is perfectly plausible.

There certainly seems to be room for an adjacent CCS port if they want to put one there and they have a way to lock out the port that isn't being used. I also imagine that an adjacent port would be far simpler to manufacture than, say, an adaptable port. The only thing we're missing is any visual indication that they actually plan to do this, other than that empty space. It certainly seems like an enormously helpful inclusion otherwise.

As a person who is educated in mechanical engineering, I can tell right away, that this
charging port cover has unacceptable design flaw.
One very narrow hinge on one side will make a lot of problems.
I really hope Tesla redesigns that before production starts.
Either two hinges or wider hinge in the middle. Otherwise it will be an easy target to accidentally break.

Also sharp edge further away from the taillight is a bad thing. And edge closer to the taillight, floating
in the air, will act as a hook to all kinds of straps and even loose clothing.

Designing this "extremely sh*tty hinge" definitely means that there is something big to the right.
And that "something big" can only be one thing: Nozzle for hydrogen refill. Just joking.
The big thing to the right = a second hinge.

i kind of wished that there could have been more coordination in the beginning to have a better worldwide standard instead of having all of these connector types. but i guess in the beginning there wasn't a real need to have a single connector as EV's just weren't popular enough to be that big of a deal or issue. a more worldwide standard isn't necessary but it would have make things simpler for all as people could use an EV station more like a gas station instead of having to worry if they have to juggle an adapter or if they can even charge at all.

The big thing to the right = a second hinge.

What big thing to the right? The edge of the supercharger is blocking the view of the rest of the charge port cover.

I have to say, I just came across this image on twitter, and I agree with @arnis that this looks like a shockingly poor design. That flap is just asking to be broken off, either by accident or by vandals. What are Tesla thinking? Are they just deliberately making the 3 suck compared to the S now?

What big thing to the right? The edge of the supercharger is blocking the view of the rest of the charge port cover.

I have to say, I just came across this image on twitter, and I agree with @arnis that this looks like a shockingly poor design. That flap is just asking to be broken off, either by accident or by vandals. What are Tesla thinking? Are they just deliberately making the 3 suck compared to the S now?

We know nothing of what material it's made of...whether it's motorized or not (but one would assume it is, to accommodate the robot snake), etc. I doubt it's made of paper mache........

The "big thing" that @arnis is speculating about.

"Designing this "extremely sh*tty hinge" definitely means that there is something big to the right."

Elon has been telling people for months not to expect too much. Some people aren't listening.