Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation - New charging plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Europe has a 3 phase charger, so it needs an extra pin
Extra pins. J1772 (aka Type1) supports one phase. Type 2 supports 3 phases.

3 phase power is less common.
Actually it is mostly missing ONLY in US. Pretty much whole world uses 3 phases everywhere, incl Asia
US should also have it (as electricity is produced on 3 phases) but it is extremely rare as far as I understood.

Worldwide plug should be Type2. It supports everything while it doesn't actually have cons. The fact that diameter
is slightly bigger doesn't really matter, as there is no reason to have connector smaller than the handle (J1772).
Type2 supports lots of current in DC (as we already know from Tesla's non-US SC stations).
Type2 also supports regular 1 phase current.
And the weirdest PRO of them all: Combo 2, while looking extremely ugly, looks much better than Combo 1:D

Just for fun I scaled the CCS and Tesla sockets and overlaid them onto a scaled (or pretty close unless I messed up) image of the model 3.

Hmmm.... looks fairly incriminating. I'm now willing to bet that there are two sockets under that big door. So... that leads to the next obvious question. What are they going to do with Model S and Model X? Somehow they would need to integrate dual plugs into those cars - but the design of the existing charge port door and adjacent taillight don't suit it very well.

View attachment 225495

Dude, I think you were right.

---

About the S/X: I think they're due for an update once the Model 3 launches, as the Model 3 has "nothing majorly new that a consumer would notice." A CCS charger for the eventual CCS network....is very noticeable to a consumer.

Last edited:
Just for fun I scaled the CCS and Tesla sockets and overlaid them onto a scaled (or pretty close unless I messed up) image of the model 3.

Hmmm.... looks fairly incriminating. I'm now willing to bet that there are two sockets under that big door. So... that leads to the next obvious question. What are they going to do with Model S and Model X? Somehow they would need to integrate dual plugs into those cars - but the design of the existing charge port door and adjacent taillight don't suit it very well.

View attachment 225495
Elon did say at launch that the onboard charger would be able to adapt to charging it anywhere in the world.

Actually it is mostly missing ONLY in US. Pretty much whole world uses 3 phases everywhere, incl Asia
US should also have it (as electricity is produced on 3 phases) but it is extremely rare as far as I understood.

Worldwide plug should be Type2. It supports everything while it doesn't actually have cons. The fact that diameter
is slightly bigger doesn't really matter, as there is no reason to have connector smaller than the handle (J1772).
Type2 supports lots of current in DC (as we already know from Tesla's non-US SC stations).
And the weirdest PRO of them all: Combo 2, while looking extremely ugly, looks much better than Combo 1:D
Japan uses Type 1 too.

Elon did say at launch that the onboard charger would be able to adapt to charging it anywhere in the world.
That would mean charger accepting 100-250V 50-60Hz AC. And nothing else.

Japan uses Type 1
Yes I know that, as an owner of Japanese electric vehicle.
Mentioning Japan is almost like: "US is not the only country in the world that hasn't switched to metrics.
Burma and Liberia have also not switched". Not actually a reasonable excuse :)
metric-system-map_0.png

Not nearly as simple as you think:

Mains electricity by country - Wikipedia

It's largely historical as far as I can tell - countries that got US equipment/technical assistance mostly went with single phase/split phase and 60 Hz while countries that got German equipment/assistance went with 50 Hz three phase.

Hmm. Heavier, larger, more expensive, more complex.

Much weaker centering and rotation (meaning you have to pay more while plugging it in.)

Smaller contacts for the single phase main wires (though Tesla is putting similar amperages through them so far.)

Clearly we disagree on whether there are cons.

With the US grid set up the way it is, a Type 2 CCS plug has no benefits to Tesla in the US except for possible standardization - and it's not a standard that the US market has anywhere, let alone the most common standard.

The actual chargers inside the car are different. Europe has a 3 phase charger, so it needs an extra pin on the connector for the third phase. All US/Asia standards only support 2 phase charging, because 3 phase power is less common.

Does anyone else remember what JB said about M3 last year about its onboard charger?
Don't remember which venue this was, but essence was that the electronics would basically deal from power anyway in the world.
Same charger hardware on all M3 helps cost efficiency at volume.
Explicitly mentioned was that if a M3 was shipped, it would be able to deal with the foreign power. ;-)

Just because the onboard charger electronics (and presumably battery fast charging connections) can deal with multiple standards doesn't mean multiple connectors will be provided...

We know nothing of what material it's made of
Well it is not metal, because that will freeze and make a lot of problems. Therefore it is plastic, because everything else costs too much.

Elon has been telling people for months not to expect too much. Some people aren't listening.
Well, Elon can't sell Model 3 in Europe if it won't have CCS. Though that is not US, it would be bad marketing to make M3 worse in US.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
EDIT: Seems someone beat me to it......then everyone went off on another HUD-esque tangent about what they WANTED, instead of what they're getting.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So... there is a HUD Under the charge port? Perhaps that's why it flips up!!!

Seriously, I believe that the charge port opening is physically large enough to contain a Tesla port and a CCS port. But I also believe it WON'T. There is of course the possibility that Tesla is designing for future growth. The charge port / connector will likely be shipped with ONLY a Tesla port. But if in the future (even a few years from now) some new connector is deployed that would work well with Tesla, only the internal portion of the charge port / charging circuit would need to be re-designed. The body / tail lights / etc. could be used as is.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see CCS on delivery, but I doubt it will happen. (but I still hope!)

Well, Elon can't sell Model 3 in Europe if it won't have CCS. Though that is not US, it would be bad marketing to make M3 worse in US.

Why does the lack of CCS in the US version presumably make it "worse"?

There are plenty of Superchargers, destination chargers, ChadeMO, and J1772 around. If the charging stations aren't everywhere yet, why would the Model 3 NEED that to be a "better" car here?

Nope. That's the second time we've seen that image posted here plus someone posted an image of the port itself and a link to the Tweet. So after three or four posts of the same image, it still didn't clear up the questions.
Oh sorry about that, it popped in as a new images on the google photos TM3 page today. I checked the last couple pages of this thread but didn't go back farther than that. It was the first image I've seen of an open port and shows just one, standard Tesla, charging port

That would mean charger accepting 100-250V 50-60Hz AC. And nothing else.

Yes I know that, as an owner of Japanese electric vehicle.
Mentioning Japan is almost like: "US is not the only country in the world that hasn't switched to metrics.
Burma and Liberia have also not switched". Not actually a reasonable excuse :)
metric-system-map_0.png
Not really. Japan is one of the largest EV markets in the world, only behind the USA. Combined I'm pretty sure they make up way more than half of total EV sales in the world.