Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Split UMC cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on #10 myself. Also charging at 40A. You are 100% correct, the UMC cannot take constant 40A charging.

I'm not sure that is the only issue. I went through a number myself, but at the time only had a 20 amp / 240 volt outlet in the garage (I was charging at 16 amps). I would find that over time the thing would start getting finicky about connecting to the car until something like this would happen and I have to get it replaced again:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I stopped by the SC on my way to work this morning. They happily replaced the replacement UMC with a new one and tested it. Worked fine. I tested it again when I got home after work. Still works fine. So clearly, the original replacement was just DOA. Rep was surprised as it was the brand new units capped at 32A and with the new charge port button. Regardless, they replaced without an if or but. As usual, outstanding and friendly service from my SC here in Montreal.

I'm on #10 myself. Also charging at 40A. You are 100% correct, the UMC cannot take constant 40A charging.

wuuuuuuuut....
I charge at 40A all the time and my original, two year old UMC is alive and kicking. I only switch it to lower than 40A if I'm doing a cell balancing charge. It's also seen its fair share of RV parks, campsites, dryer outlets, and oven outlets.

wuuuuuuuut....
I charge at 40A all the time and my original, two year old UMC is alive and kicking. I only switch it to lower than 40A if I'm doing a cell balancing charge. It's also seen its fair share of RV parks, campsites, dryer outlets, and oven outlets.
Yeah, makes no sense. Most of my failures were due to heat, where the UMC crimps ran hotter and hotter until they either melted or stopped working reliably. One(the first) never worked, sort of like the OP's.