Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify newbie...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because Spotify likes money.
then why offer a free Spotify to 99.9% of available platforms (IOS, Android, Alexa, Google Home, Windows, etc, etc)?

to be more precise...
We of course CAN get free Spotify in the Tesla cars, just by using our phones, etc. It works pretty well with Echo Auto, Echo Input, etc also. ALL of these methods involve using our phone data, not Tesla LTE data. So the real difference is not what Spotify gets -- its providing free Spotify regardless. It is what Tesla gets or doesn't get, i.e. paying for the increased data consumption. But it seems to be willing to pay for data for TuneIn, Slacker, even Netflix(?), so then... this is why I ask because it doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
I can't compare to Apple Music as I have not used it, but Spotify's library is vastly superior to Slacker, moderately superior to Pandora, and moderately inferior to Google Music.

This information is pretty easy to find: Spotify has 50m tracks, Slacker 13m, Apple 60m, Deezer 56m, Google 40m and Amazon 50m

So Spotify is one of the top ones - available music varies slightly by jurisdiction (Spotify has a slightly better international footprint) and of course Spotify is platform agnostic, whereas the other top ones like Apple, Google, Amazon are just a little bit better if you're in their ecosystem.

Personally I have Apple Music and a ton of purchased and ripped music in their Cloud, so signing up for Spotify and redoing all the playlists is mildly annoying. I do hope Tesla offer more services (like Sonos does for for example) so people can keep their service of choice.

Last edited:
The free version of Spotify is ad supported. That functionality probably does not exist in the Tesla Spotify app.
not sure why Tesla would need to "support" anything for ads to work... its just a streaming audio feed, no? Surely the Tesla Spotify app is just ported Spotify code much like the Netflix is just ported Netflix code. So "ad support" if it needs anything at all, would just be integral to the Spotify code. Does Tesla Hulu support the ad-version of Hulu?

my simple guess is that spotify paid tesla to get a prominent spot in its vehicle system. it does not support a free-version on that platform, ostensibly because unlike a phone or computer, drivers dont have as many native alternatives for streaming music. and they think the demographics driving a tesla is more prone to subscribing to that service than the general audience.

maybe

not sure why Tesla would need to "support" anything for ads to work... its just a streaming audio feed, no? Surely the Tesla Spotify app is just ported Spotify code much like the Netflix is just ported Netflix code. So "ad support" if it needs anything at all, would just be integral to the Spotify code. Does Tesla Hulu support the ad-version of Hulu?

Netflix and similar video steaming apps aren't actually apps. They are just the web sites running in the browser in full screen. The Spotify app is a actual app integrated within the media player. I don't think the media player has the ability to force ads that you cannot skip.

Personally I have Apple Music and a ton of purchased and ripped music in their Cloud, so signing up for Spotify and redoing all the playlists is mildly annoying.
Just as a note, there are several apps that can transfer playlists from Apple Music to Spotify (and vice versa). I switched to Spotify when the Tesla app became available and used an app called Houdini (other popular apps are Songshift and Stamp). Was really painless.

I have created a few playlists in my M3 as a first step in creating stations but have not been successful getting a station. I have autoplay turned on in my app on my phone. When my playlists get to the end they just stop - they don't add additional songs. What am I doing wrong?