Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spray Foam (Brand "Great Stuff") around 6 guage wire for car charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had a car charger installed in my garage for Model 3.

6 guage cooper wire (6/3) running from panel in the basement to garage to feed the Charge point charger

The electrician drilled a hole in the concrete of the basement to run the wire through.

Today, I was filling in some gaps in my garage after garage door And window installation using spray foam.

I decided to use some of it to seal the area in the garage where the electrician fed the wire through the concrete.

I might have overdone it. Should I be worried and remove the spray foam? If so, how do I do it? It's been more than 12 hours and cured I guess.

My M3 charges at 40 amps btw

Reactions: Lephturn
No, you shouldn't be worried at all. You could encase the wire for many feet before even the slightest concern.

I'm a little surprised your electrician used 6/3 into your garage in such a way that you could reach it to seal it without him/her putting it(or converting it to individual conductors) in conduit. Maybe its 6/3 in a funky premade conduit-y thing.

No, you shouldn't be worried at all. You could encase the wire for many feet before even the slightest concern.

I'm a little surprised your electrician used 6/3 into your garage in such a way that you could reach it to seal it without him/her putting it(or converting it to individual conductors) in conduit. Maybe its 6/3 in a funky premade conduit-y thing.

I will try to take pics to show what it looks like. Thanks for your response.

Fire block foam would be more appropriate for this application.

I don't understand the purpose of that "fire block foam". It says it only resists heat up to 240F and the top review says:

"THIS IS NOT FIREPROOF. This can easily ignite in flames and does not stop or prevent fire. Don't use it on any electrical that can cause a spark."

Is it basically just an insulation that keeps embers from blowing into a hole or a draft from feeding a potential fire or something?

I don't understand the purpose of that "fire block foam". It says it only resists heat up to 240F and the top review says:

"THIS IS NOT FIREPROOF. This can easily ignite in flames and does not stop or prevent fire. Don't use it on any electrical that can cause a spark."

Is it basically just an insulation that keeps embers from blowing into a hole or a draft from feeding a potential fire or something?

3M FIRE BLOCK FOAM FB-FOAM IS A FIREBLOCK AND DRAFTSTOP USED TO HELP SEAL, FILL, INSULATE AND BOND FOR NON-RATED RESIDENTIAL AND COMMERCIAL CONSTRUCTION. THIS FOAM-IN-PLACE FIREBLOCK IS HEAT-RESISTANT (UP TO 240F/115C) AND MEETS ASTM E 84 (MOD) CLASS 1 FOR SMOKE SPREAD AND FLAME DEVELOPMENT. THIS FIREBLOCK FOAM IS READY-TO-USE AND TACK-FREE IN APPROXIMATELY 5 MINUTES.

It's appropriate for the use case. But if you want something more robust, here is the good stuff with a two-hour fire rating: 3M FIP FIRE BARRIER RATED FOAM-1/CA ***APPLICATOR NOZZLE INCLUDED*** | Gordon Electric Supply, Inc.

3M FIRE BLOCK FOAM FB-FOAM IS A FIREBLOCK AND DRAFTSTOP USED TO HELP SEAL, FILL, INSULATE AND BOND FOR NON-RATED RESIDENTIAL AND COMMERCIAL CONSTRUCTION. THIS FOAM-IN-PLACE FIREBLOCK IS HEAT-RESISTANT (UP TO 240F/115C) AND MEETS ASTM E 84 (MOD) CLASS 1 FOR SMOKE SPREAD AND FLAME DEVELOPMENT. THIS FIREBLOCK FOAM IS READY-TO-USE AND TACK-FREE IN APPROXIMATELY 5 MINUTES.

It's appropriate for the use case. But if you want something more robust, here is the good stuff with a two-hour fire rating: 3M FIP FIRE BARRIER RATED FOAM-1/CA ***APPLICATOR NOZZLE INCLUDED*** | Gordon Electric Supply, Inc.

Gotcha, so "Firestop" taken literally is just a means to keep smoke and fire from spreading past a wall. But the material itself isn't necessarily flame resistant or retardant (it could be simply heat resistant). So, you'd have to go seek out those extra flame properties of the foamy foams if that was your concern.

Reactions: Big Earl