Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Displayed range lower than WLTP Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, new Tesla owner. Just wanted to ask if anyone knows why the displayed range on my new Tesla SR+(60miles on the clock) is showing 272 miles after a full charge instead of the 305 miles WLTP range. I'm not expecting the car to do 305 miles but expected it to be displayed. Any thoughts? The car has the LFP battery.

UK cars display EPA range. You only see the WLTP on the website. I don’t know why.
Because it is a legal requirement to show the WLTP range on the website so people can compare between different cars and brands but since that is all WLTP is good for there is not much point putting it on the display in the car so Tesla use the EPA range which you will discover is also unrealistically optimistic in all but ideal circumstances but it is still better than WLTP.
I agree though switch to % you will be happier.

Hi, new Tesla owner. Just wanted to ask if anyone knows why the displayed range on my new Tesla SR+(60miles on the clock) is showing 272 miles after a full charge instead of the 305 miles WLTP range. I'm not expecting the car to do 305 miles but expected it to be displayed. Any thoughts? The car has the LFP battery.
As a few people have mentioned just go to % and charge when needed. Try not to watch the miles. After various journeys you will start to figure out how far you can go etc

Reactions: Doudeau
I also use percentage.

I'm sure obvious / well known, but just in case not:

Put destination in Satnav and check the Consumption Graph (the TRIP tab)

That will show the estimated arrival %age and, as your journey progresses, an additional graph line of "actual", and revised arrival %age. If you aren't going to make it! or its tight then slowing down will make a significant difference. The only real snag is if the journey is wet as can't do much about the extra consumption for that (still have to move the same amount of water, mile after mile), but if the journey is wet, cold, windy then the revised consumption estimate prediction should keep you safe.

SatNav will also show percentage arrival for a return journey too

There is a long thread here by various members looking at why? what? and hows? of miles/percentage. And since that discussion (not because of that) Tesla did an update and now the battery symbol can switch to % vs miles. I understand the question but as others mentioned it is EPA. You are lucky that it shows 272 of a 305 WLTP in a SR+ and I guess atleast you will get around 230 in real world if you drive carefully and the weather permitting! Mine has dropped from 264 EPA to 258 and it is a year old but this is 21 Q1 model so comes with a different LFP configuration.

Last edited:
It shows a figure based on EPA but is related to your nominal battery capacity, so the figure will move around a bit and degrade over time due to battery ageing.

... the number will tend to go down (and up) more from the Battery Management System going out of sync as the battery ages than it does from real degradation. (e.g. if you believe the numbers I had 7 miles extra range added last week compared to the week before ... of course it was just the BMS getting its act together and showing that I didn't have the "degradation" that I might have thought I had!)

Reactions: MrT3 and MrBadger
Yep. My post from this morning shows how much the BMS can adjust estimated range, both up and down, including in my case a BMS reset that effectively told it to start its guess work again. Please don’t ask how to do a BMS reset - it was done in collaboration with Tesla investigating a particular problem and not something that they would normally do as a matter of routine.

As its turned into a non Model Y specific thread, here are the wild guesses from our Model 3 LR over 17k miles. No guessing where we reset the BMS to tell it to have another try... Green is (TeslaFi) fleet average. As mentioned in my previous post, for those interested, its nothing to do with physical battery degradation, its just the EPA range based on what the BMS guesses as the CAC at any point in time, which will vary up and down over time.

View attachment 783815