Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR Purchasing Doubts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have yet to wish that I got a Performance... I can't even effectively use the performance level I have in my LR here... But I am enjoying the money in my bank account and the lower insurance premium... :)

Hi. You will love the sr once you get it, but soon hate it wishing you mortgaged your home and spent your kids college fund on the model 3 performance.

Propaganda? lol. What do I have to gain by spreading my propaganda? Am I working on commission here?

The propaganda comment was tongue-in-cheek. :)

The best example of range anxiety is to have a 240 mile car running on 30-50% range loss in the winter. You're really pigeon-holing yourself and backed into a corner.

This isn't accurate when made as a blanket statement. It depends on individual driving situations, hence my stance of buying the car that works for your financial and driving situation vs what others tell you you need.

In round numbers you gain 30% of range going from 240 to 310(for $10k- plus you get AWD in winter climate).
You gain 20% going from 310 to 375(that costs around $40k).

I think you missed the point there. Enough is never enough. If SR/LR was 310/375 some people would say the same things they do now except with different numbers plugged in and there would still be range anxiety.

That says all.

You mention affordability many times as a primary reason to purchase a SR Model 3. To get more range, and some enjoyable amenities, have you considered moving up the ladder by purchasing a used CPO Model 3?

There’s not that big of a price difference on the cheaper models. To date the cheapest SR+ I've seen pop up on Tesla Inventory for used is in the 36K range and Inventory new (demo or otherwise) for just a bit more than that.

The real bargains are to be found in MidRange, LR RWD cars with a few miles on the clock.

There’s not that big of a price difference on the cheaper models. To date the cheapest SR+ I've seen pop up on Tesla Inventory for used is in the 36K range and Inventory new (demo or otherwise) for just a bit more than that.

The real bargains are to be found in MidRange, LR RWD cars with a few miles on the clock.
Whatever might get the OP better range at a similar price point to a new base SR Model 3 (as long as the use car is protected by a CPO warranty) was the idea. It's worth considering if one is open to a used car. Some folks only want new.

He said he sometimes needs a friend to lend him the ICE car. There's a significant difference between having (owning) an ICE car, and relying on a friend to lend an ICE car...and this for an activity that's important to the OP ( I mean, damn, he hikes in upstate NY winter!).

I'm suggesting some careful consideration needs to be made about the trade-offs. Does he risk not hiking because he can't get an ICE car for that hike?

Or, does he buy a hybrid vehicle that gets excellent mileage, and is climate friendly (Honda RAV Hybrid?), and suits his needs until he can afford a longer range EV?

Or, does he stick with what he has?

The choice doesn't seem particularly clear to me.

Friend's car not available? Use a little bit of the $15K in savings between an SR and LR AWD to rent a car for $25/day. Check Turo and car rental places for the best deal.

I drive 10 miles RT on curvy "city" streets. Basically where I live, you don't use cruise control at all unless you are on the highway, and I do that rarely. I also really don't want to pay that amount of money for auto pilot. I don't need it really and I could use that for accessories for the car. The one thing that I will miss is the adaptive cruise control. Loved that on the prime. I do drive long distances for trips, but the placement of the superchargers helps out wherever I go. Don't need to slow down or anything, just more stops than with a LR and I'm fine with that.

I use it every day on my commute to-and-from work and city surface streets and larger boulevards. I shared your same thoughts (was planning to get an SR) until I test drove AP around the city for an hour and realized it was so much more than a freeway/highway feature. I would just test it out before making up your mind.

Metalmanstan said:
I have gone to the mountains in the winter with my FWD prius and it handled it like a beast and I have done the same with my wives RWD Optima. Both handled the snow and ice fine. You just have to know how to handle the roads during that weather. To be honest, the only time I would need an AWD is when I'm going for a search and rescue in a storm(i'm on a SAR team). I could take my dad's jeep on emergency situations. Plus, I've heard that the balance of the car is superb for slippery situations even though its RWD. Lived here for 30 years now and been driving in winter without AWD for all of them. I think I'm ok without it.

As with any car in winter conditions, its all about the tires. I would feel very comfortable taking my RWD Model 3 in the snow and ice with proper/modern snow tires. For climates like yours, its wise two have a summer set of wheels/tires and a winter set.

Reactions: Metalmanstan
Yeah, yeah. Most people have no trouble learning how to use it, and love it, and some people have trouble and "despise it" then get all huffy about "useless technology" and tell everybody they're better off with the rotary desk phone. There's personal preference, that's what choice is all about.

There's a difference between TACC/AS and NOA too. Which do you have? And you've had your car 3 weeks? It really takes longer than that to get the hang of any automation system. FWIW it took me about 3 months. First thing to learn is that there's no bonus points for keeping AP on 100% of the time, especially at first. It's an assist, not a replacement.

You're a delusional fanboy that is in denial. There's nothing more to learn about AutoPilot then when you're driving down an open freeway with no cars near you in the front or side and it slams on the brakes for no reason and you almost get rear ended by the car behind you.

You're a delusional fanboy that is in denial. There's nothing more to learn about AutoPilot then when you're driving down an open freeway with no cars near you in the front or side and it slams on the brakes for no reason and you almost get rear ended by the car behind you.
There sure are a lot of us delusional fanboys around.

Autopilot is the only reason I’m here. A progressive hand disability has made driving the “normal” way painful after just a few minutes. A good 80% of my 16K miles are on AutoPilot, and I couldn’t be happier with the system. Sure it’s not perfect, but nothing is.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
There sure are a lot of us delusional fanboys around.

Autopilot is the only reason I’m here. A progressive hand disability has made driving the “normal” way painful after just a few minutes. A good 80% of my 16K miles are on AutoPilot, and I couldn’t be happier with the system. Sure it’s not perfect, but nothing is.

I wonder what percentage of car drivers have progressive hand disability? Probably not enough to matter to this discussion, but good to know it's helped your corner case.

I wonder what percentage of car drivers have progressive hand disability? Probably not enough to matter to this discussion, but good to know it's helped your corner case.
Yes, I certainly am that corner case.

But even if I wasn’t, I would still be using autopilot. Probably not as much, as I’ve always loved the drive, but I think the system is a lot better than you give it credit for. I wish voice dictation software worked as well as my autopilot does… Typos and corrections are slowly driving me crazy.

I have yet to wish that I got a Performance... I can't even effectively use the performance level I have in my LR here... But I am enjoying the money in my bank account and the lower insurance premium... :)

I don’t think the difference is as big between the lr p3d as it is between the sr+ and lr, also rims and fsd put me within 3K of a base lr

It sounds like you've got things pretty well figured out. You don't need AWD or LR. And in your case NOA isn't important. But I wouldn't go all the way strippy SR- unless you really can't afford the SR+. You'll like the seats and doodads, and the sound system, and you'll end up using the (included w/ SR+) basic autopilot at times as a better cruise control, all the little differences for not much money.
Seats are the same, SR+ and SR interior is the same.
The car is physically the same car.

Little difference of money is relative to what a person can/want to afford.
4.5/5KUSD can be a lot of money for feature not needed today and that can be added in the future

No idea at this point what the SR lacks now, it seems to change. I guess the AP is for sure. Sound system? What else? is there an up to date comparison table?

Sorry your car "slams on the brakes", I've never had that, but let's talk about "insufficient percentage" and this "delusional fanboy" theory for now. I'd say you, @TLLMRRJ are being rude and juvenile. I don't think you've thought much about this, sir. So let me explain.

@TomB985 's mentioned progressive hand disability is only one of a thousand common problems, from carpal tunnel syndrome, pulled muscles, ulnar nerve pinch, all sorts of spinal issues from cervical disk slippage, and nerve pressure, to full bore lumbar radiculopathy and sciatica, sprains, torn muscles, old injuries, where certain positions are simply excruciating. We're talking about millions of drivers at any time who drive because they have to, but struggle to find the least painful modes.

Autopilot gives us more choice in how to sit and control the car. If you want to dispute that, be my guest, but it's pretty self-evident that holding the wheel with one hand and being ready to use the pedals isn't as demanding as doing all the wheel and pedals tango we call "driving".

And this is critical: all of us are getting older, and that means more health problems of all sorts, not just the ones above. You get glasses, hearing isn't as sharp, you can't whip your neck around as fast, need I go on? And awareness of limitations, better appreciation of how easy it is to get into an accident even through little fault of your own, in turn creates psychological barriers to safe and happy driving, like anxiety and even panic reaction.

Now, if you think I'm talking about wheelchair seniors, think again. Is a 40 year old as fast on the draw as a 20 year old? Unless you're on the "before 20" part of the curve, you know you're not as swift as you once were, unless ... you're delusional.

Are you that manly guy out there in the snow in nothing but your tarzanware? Glasses and warm jackets and walking sticks are pretty damned useful. We're not all as perfect as you are, sir, and sometimes hearing aids and a cane are what's needed. Autopilot is like that. It's not some Sci Fi game, it's an assist to use as best helps YOU out, even if it's on just 10% of your driving, and even if it's not perfect.

Without going into details, I can tell you that for me some of the issues above add up to a simple fact: after I'd learned how to best use it, Tesla's autopilot unequivocally made my driving much less painful and safer, on 80-95% of my miles. Thank you for your attention.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: TLLMRRJ and TomB985