Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Range not Making sense. Can someone help me understand?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not trying to complain about driving fast and getting lower than expected range. I've been reading that the range estimate is off, so to use percentage as well. But I'm legitimately curious how this works.

I've attached shots of both range and percentage and they don't add up.

I started at 90% with 216 miles of range. According to screenshots i am now at 47% with 112 remaining.

Used during this period are 19kwh and 88 miles of driving.

At 211Wh/mile, i should be well above the EPA economy estimate. Why am i consistently getting less than the advertised range?

1603CE40-C48C-4792-8A20-28593E683DEA.jpeg 3C8CE007-7614-49AD-A177-929083658DE3.jpeg

it looks right.
the battery is 52kwh.
if you divide 52/0.211 = 246 miles.
you did slightly better than theoretical.
246 x 0.9 - 88= 133 miles.
theoretical remaining is 112 miles.
You will be able to get 21 miles more if you keep up at 0.211 kwh/mile.

I dont think so. Those 21 miles are lost. In the second pic it shows 47% remaining.

.47*52=24kwh remaining. 24/0.211 = 113 miles. So if i keep up at 0.211 i will end up only getting 200 miles. Also I've heard the battery was 55kwh. Which would make this even more ridiculous.

I'm not trying to complain about driving fast and getting lower than expected range. I've been reading that the range estimate is off, so to use percentage as well. But I'm legitimately curious how this works.

I started at 90% with 216 miles of range. According to screenshots i am now at 47% with 112 remaining.

At 211Wh/mile, i should be well above the EPA economy estimate. Why am i consistently getting less than the advertised range?

View attachment 403467 View attachment 403466
The miles for that battery meter are fixed. So using % like you are doing is your best bet. Then use the energy app in the car set on the longest 30 mile window to give you an idea of remaining range.

View attachment 403467 View attachment 403466

There is clearly a discrepancy, but it is nothing unusual or unexpected.

How long since you charged?

If we assume that the battery is 55kWh to give a rated range of 240 rated miles at 100%....that gives us a 230Wh/rmi constant (this may not be exactly correct but let's go with it...)

You used 216-112 = 104 rated miles.

104rmi *230Wh/rmi = 24kWh.

The meter in the car only displays energy used while you are in DRIVE. If you are in park, or if you are parked overnight, it does not count AC/heat/vampire drain. They are not included in this number.

The meter displays 19kWh used. There are a couple possible reasons for this:

1) The meter is just a meter, it may read a few % low (but not 19/24, 20% low).

2) You parked the car for a significant amount of time (you should expect to lose 3-4 rated miles a day (Tesla's number and NO ONE gets significantly lower than this on average in spite of what they may say here at TMC...), and MUCH more in some other cases: can be greater than 20 rated miles per day if you are using Sentry mode, cabin overheat protection, 3rd party apps that are misconfigured and don't let the car sleep, etc.

Feel free to do a test where you do nothing but drive the car after a charge and do the appropriate before and after calculations. You'll find that the meter in the car and your rated mile usage will line up better (you may find that there is a few % discrepancy still).

For true range, all that matters is how far you can go on a single charge without stopping so from that perspective this stuff does not matter much, but it is good to be aware of these other factors, which can be significant and add to your budgeted (small) charging costs - and could catch you by surprise if you expect the car to not lose energy when parked - it is always leaking energy while parked.

Your true achievable range in the SR+ looks to be about 255 miles, with a driving style & average speed matching the one you pictured, which is pretty awesome. But you will never get this if you spread out that driving over multiple days.

Last edited:
you should expect to lose 3-4 rated miles a day (Tesla's number and NO ONE gets significantly lower than this on average in spite of what they may say here at TMC...)
Well 'people' certainly do experience a lot lower drain than that, your assertion notwithstanding :p , but it requires very specific conditions and vehicle settings that aren't really typical unless you are purposefully setting it up, and for most people it isn't worth the effort (if it is even feasible given the particulars of their situation) to aim for the bottom end drain of around 1 mile/day.

I have done it but frankly I don't even think about vampire drain anymore at all. Day to day I just drive, and plug in when I plug in. Wasn't true when I was learning the car, though.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
I’m losing about 12 miles per day to vampire drain. It’s a combination of using Stats, TeslaFi, Dashcam and Sentry. This is probably the worst case scenario to use all four of these at the same time but I have an LR RWD and I don’t drive that much so I just have learned not to worry about it.

Reactions: SammichLover
, but it requires very specific conditions and vehicle settings that aren't really typical unless you are purposefully setting it up, and for most people it isn't worth the effort (if it is even feasible given the particulars of their situation) to aim for the bottom end drain of around 1 mile/day.

Interesting, sounds like you actually had success, can you tell me more about the setup and the exact results (same temp before and after of course)?

I’ve tried everything that I am aware of short of pulling the 12V battery. Can you tell me what is the specific configuration to use? If there were a way to get to 1 mi/day, I would love to know EXACTLY how to configure my car to get this, since there are scenarios I anticipate where I will want low drain, and that will be all that matters. Though in general most of the time it is unimportant to me.

I have tried, concurrently:
1) Turning off overheat protection
2) Turning off all data sharing
3) Turning off remote access
4) disabling phone key
5) disabling third party apps by changing Tesla password.
6) parking in garage with no one around with no remote polling.
7) Power off car manually.

I may have missed something.

I see 3-4 miles of drain per day over a meaningful 5+ day interval as configured above. None of this stuff seems to matter (nor would I expect it to, as none of the above except cabin overheat protection would take any energy). What am I missing?

I did a 12 mile drive yesterday morning before rush hour traffic. I had a lot of open road and I was having fun seeing how fast I could accelerate on my LR RWD M3. On the reverse drive home there was heavy traffic so it took me longer and there was no opportunity to accelerate briskly.

The drive out was at 87.9% efficiency. The drive back was at 107.2% efficiency.

The difference in cost between the morning and afternoon drive was .06 cents. And blasting off from red lights at full speed was worth every penny!

Reactions: Leafdriver333
My lifetime rate over 1500 miles is 257wh/mi. I am immersed
I did a 12 mile drive yesterday morning before rush hour traffic. I had a lot of open road and I was having fun seeing how fast I could accelerate on my LR RWD M3. On the reverse drive home there was heavy traffic so it took me longer and there was no opportunity to accelerate briskly.

The drive out was at 87.9% efficiency. The drive back was at 107.2% efficiency.

The difference in cost between the morning and afternoon drive was .06 cents. And blasting off from red lights at full speed was worth every penny!
i let my car rip every chance I get.
My life time rate is 257wh/mi.
It is still a lot more efficient than the Leaf I used to drive.

Must be vampiric drain then. Car fully charged about a week prior. So that would account for the 20-25 miles lost over that time. But what you say makes sense. The total range only matters over a single drive. So I'm not tripping. Thanks for the insight.

I am very pleasantly surprised over the efficiency though! 211Wh/mi includes freeway and city and no special driving. I still floor it occasionally

There is clearly a discrepancy, but it is nothing unusual or unexpected.

How long since you charged?

If we assume that the battery is 55kWh to give a rated range of 240 rated miles at 100%....that gives us a 230Wh/rmi constant (this may not be exactly correct but let's go with it...)

You used 216-112 = 104 rated miles.

104rmi *230Wh/rmi = 24kWh.

The meter in the car only displays energy used while you are in DRIVE. If you are in park, or if you are parked overnight, it does not count AC/heat/vampire drain. They are not included in this number.

The meter displays 19kWh used. There are a couple possible reasons for this:

1) The meter is just a meter, it may read a few % low (but not 19/24, 20% low).

2) You parked the car for a significant amount of time (you should expect to lose 3-4 rated miles a day (Tesla's number and NO ONE gets significantly lower than this on average in spite of what they may say here at TMC...), and MUCH more in some other cases: can be greater than 20 rated miles per day if you are using Sentry mode, cabin overheat protection, 3rd party apps that are misconfigured and don't let the car sleep, etc.

Feel free to do a test where you do nothing but drive the car after a charge and do the appropriate before and after calculations. You'll find that the meter in the car and your rated mile usage will line up better (you may find that there is a few % discrepancy still).

For true range, all that matters is how far you can go on a single charge without stopping so from that perspective this stuff does not matter much, but it is good to be aware of these other factors, which can be significant and add to your budgeted (small) charging costs - and could catch you by surprise if you expect the car to not lose energy when parked - it is always leaking energy while parked.

Your true achievable range in the SR+ looks to be about 255 miles, with a driving style & average speed matching the one you pictured, which is pretty awesome. But you will never get this if you spread out that driving over multiple days.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Must be vampiric drain then. Car fully charged about a week prior. So that would account for the 20-25 miles lost over that time. But what you say makes sense. The total range only matters over a single drive. So I'm not tripping. Thanks for the insight.

I am very pleasantly surprised over the efficiency though! 211Wh/mi includes freeway and city and no special driving. I still floor it occasionally

Yeah all makes sense, that is just vampire. Nothing to be done about it AFAIK unless Tesla “fixes” it. They are keeping that windshield camera warm for now. :).

Glad what I said was helpful for you. 211Wh/mi with mixed freeway/city is just spectacular. If you do get out on the open highway don’t expect quite as good, but these RWD vehicles are fantastically efficient when they are driving regardless. You are probably benefiting from drafting and somewhat lower freeway speeds (55-60?). The fantastic efficiency is one of the reasons all of the “competition” has their work cut out for them. It’s an amazing result, given the motor maximum power output.

Interesting, sounds like you actually had success, can you tell me more about the setup and the exact results (same temp before and after of course)?

I’ve tried everything that I am aware of short of pulling the 12V battery. Can you tell me what is the specific configuration to use? If there were a way to get to 1 mi/day, I would love to know EXACTLY how to configure my car to get this, since there are scenarios I anticipate where I will want low drain, and that will be all that matters. Though in general most of the time it is unimportant to me.

I have tried, concurrently:
1) Turning off overheat protection
2) Turning off all data sharing
3) Turning off remote access
4) disabling phone key
5) disabling third party apps by changing Tesla password.
6) parking in garage with no one around with no remote polling.
7) Power off car manually.

I may have missed something.

I see 3-4 miles of drain per day over a meaningful 5+ day interval as configured above. None of this stuff seems to matter (nor would I expect it to, as none of the above except cabin overheat protection would take any energy). What am I missing?
I did most of that, I didn't disable the phone key, or turn off the reporting to Tesla options, or #7 (which I don't even know how to do and get away from the car without triggering it back on). I just parked it in the yard of a friend, in near permanent tree shade, for about 5 days. Outside any wifi range. Temps ranged from about 5C overnight to about 15C daytime.

I did actually check it remotely once a day or so, because I was pretty paranoid due to all the vampire drain stories and I would have had to try figure out charging options if the drain had gone crazy. Saw 6 mile drop over 4 1/2 days.

If I had realized at the time it was so unusual to see it this low I might have gone through screen by screen to record settings.

It is quite possible there are still bugs plaguing lots of people and I got lucky here. I was never noticing vampire drain that some people were getting, the stuff some people describe would be extremely obvious. This was the only time I really closely measured it. I haven't tried to repeat, because I don't care much and I drive basically every day so little chance to measure longterm losses. But now when traveling this summer I think I will again, as I think I'll have another opportunity for longterm non-use. Maybe there was some other variable going on, too. My understanding is that it won't start the data reporting without a wifi connection, which makes sense, so I'm guessing no wifi is going to be key. Which frankly is particularly practical day to day since you'd connecting periodically to check for patches, and don't really know when you'd get one.