Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ regrets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in BC. I don’t regret my purchase one bit. But I would say that range loss is real. Be prepared in winter weather especially. Right now, I’m renting an airbnb as our place is undergoing renovations. I park outside and have nowhere to charge at home. Tesla recommends only to charge up to 90%, so I have max 354 km give or take already. To start it up in the morning, when its around 0C, I have to use about 7 km of range. And when I drive, I use about 50% more range, I.e. I use 15 km for every 10 km. Of course, this depends on how warm your battery is, whether there is regen (too cold and there is no regen). Relying on public charging is a pain. But I will have a 120V charger back soon and it’ll be a lot better. Just be aware that you will get nowhere near the 400 km of advertised range in the winter.

Reactions: Nepassnakes
Live near Edmonton. Have a LR RWD. With winter tires I have zero regrets about the RWD. I couldn’t make it work with less range but I tend to drive where there’s no charging infrastructure and with roof box, canoe, bikes or paddleboards on the roof so I tend to push the limits. I love the sound system and would miss that if that’s not included on the SR+, not sure I’d miss anything else on the interior now that the rear seat heaters can be activated via software upgrade.

Reactions: richyrich
I have a SR+ and live in Whitby. No regrets for me but it really depends on how far you drive each day and how many long range trips you plan on making. You really take a range hit in the cold weather but unless your driving more than 200km a day that really doesn't matter, assuming you can charge at home. My longest road trip is to Niagara Falls and with SuperChargers in Burlington and Grimsby it's an easy trip, usually around 20-25 minutes of charging for the trip. I have winter tires on after market rims and find no problem with the handling even in the deeper snow. The real question is do you need the extra 133km and all wheel enough to pay an extra $14000 or so extra. (Long range is $10,000 more plus you lose the $5000 after tax federal rebate.)

Reactions: canadianeh
I have an SR+ in Ottawa and have no regrets. Two features I wanted at the time - advanced connectivity and heated rear seats have now been added so I could not be happier. I went to Austin for Fully Charged Live, a 7000 km road trip in winter with no issues. I could have done the trip a few hours faster in a long range car, but a few hours over 7 days of driving is nothing. I have been to North Bay and back in a day, driving home at -20C. Lots of trips over last summer to Prince Edward County, plus a trip to the Electrified Garage launch near Boston. The SR+ is a great long distance tourer.

Over the winter, performance in snow and slippy roads had been great. AWD's primary job is to allow you to arrive at the site of the accident going that much faster :)

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I have a SR+ in Montreal. No regrets.

Most of my trips over this winter were around 100-120km long each way, so for the first time I had to stop and charge along the way back but it was alright, we either snacked or made diaper changes to the kid.

We have SR+ in Ottawa (plus we live in an apartment so no daily charging) and it's been totally fine. My partner charges it at work and there is a 50kw CHAdeMO beside our favorite dog park. Trips to Toronto every month, so far no issues but it does add 30-40m to trip time (more if one of the SCs gives a bad charge rate, but that's only happened once).

I’m in debate mode right now.

I have a deposit on a model Y. But I need a car sooner.

Considering the SR+ and then eventually selling my wife’s car and becoming a two family Tesla family, but we wouldn’t have a bigger/full size car until then....

I have two kids. We live in Ontario as well. We currently have a q5 and a3. So we would have two small cars for a while.

My longest drive is Windsor to Toronto or to Detroit airport.

I live in Ottawa and was in the same place as you about 2 weeks ago. My main issue wasn’t the $15k but the idea of losing a “deal” of $5k off. I decided that if the purpose of the $5k was to make an EV affordable for someone that couldn’t otherwise afford it then it should be irrelevant to me as I would be in without the $5k.

I knew I would likely think of what I was missing if I didn’t go for the LR AWD so went ahead. I do still sometimes think “are these things worth $15k?!” But I know I will never regret having the extra range and AWD in harsh Ottawa winters

Got a MR which is more or less the same range as the S+. After doing a bunch of simulated trips with abetterouteplanner, I realised that I am having an extra SC stop on a 800 km trip, which adds about 20 minutes compare to a LR.

SR+ owner in Montreal. If you can afford it, go with the LR AWD, but if you can't, then you still get a pretty damn good car.

In term of space, it's really impressive what you can get inside a M3. But I agree with your indecision: The Y is gonna be a game changer.

Range is not an issue for me. Plug in everyday instead of 3 times a week during summer and voilà. Just came back from a two day trip to Toronto in this -20C weather and it was overall one more charging stop than in the summer. And we actually spend more time charging than needed because we were watching Family Guy on Netflix while charging :).

Regarding AWD, I had some close call with the RWD on the highway once during a big storm, but otherwise, with good snow tires, you just slide some corner to makes it more fun. You get used really quickly to this second or two between the car sliding and traction control taking over.

Partial premium interior... get the rear heated seat for the kids, and eventually the premium connectivity and you're good to go. Lightning would be nice, but it's only esthetics. And don't get fooled by other about the sound system. SR+ is still IMO better sound than your average Toyota :p

I’m in debate mode right now.

I have a deposit on a model Y. But I need a car sooner.

Considering the SR+ and then eventually selling my wife’s car and becoming a two family Tesla family, but we wouldn’t have a bigger/full size car until then....

I have two kids. We live in Ontario as well. We currently have a q5 and a3. So we would have two small cars for a while.

My longest drive is Windsor to Toronto or to Detroit airport.

Lol, I have 2 kids a 65lb dog and have 1 car and regularly trip to the cottage. I bet I can fit more in my M3 than you can in your Q5! Sedans are surprisingly efficient at carrying stuff and SUVs are surprisingly terrible, especially if you want to see out of the rear window.

Reactions: malou
Lol, I have 2 kids a 65lb dog and have 1 car and regularly trip to the cottage. I bet I can fit more in my M3 than you can in your Q5! Sedans are surprisingly efficient at carrying stuff and SUVs are surprisingly terrible, especially if you want to see out of the rear window.

You might be able to squeeze more in but the q5 has 50% more space.

I think waiting for the Y is likely the best move.

We did get a ride in an Sr+ model 3 yesterday. It was roomier and rode higher than I expected.