Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ vs. MR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious to get people's thoughts on the difference between the "Partial Premium Interior" and the "Premium Interior". I'm trying to decide between the two cars. I'm retired, so I rarely drive more than 30 miles per day. I have a Tesla wall connector in my garage that I can use daily. So even a car with 240 mile range is more than adequate. I live in Southern California so it rarely dips below around 60 degrees. The extra one tenth of a second of speed on the MR is also meaningless. I'm not a race car driver and I doubt I would notice the difference.

Looking at the differences between the two interiors, here's what I'm thinking:

I don't care about heated rear seats.

I'm not sure what the difference is between "upgraded audio" and "premium audio". Has anyone learned any specifics here, like number of speakers?

Having traffic on the navigation system seems very important. Am I correct in assuming that there is no traffic data being fed to the Partial Premium Interior? I have an M3 LR RWD now and while I see some traffic data on the maps, I've never been able to figure out if the navigation system is really using it to optimize the route for traffic conditions. It's never suggested a reroute to me while driving. When I use google maps on my iPhone I get reroute suggestions frequently.

I don't care about internet music and streaming. I have an Apple Music subscription I'm happy with that also works with my home audio.

Location aware garage door opener is nice but no big deal to press a button when I want to open the door.

As far as I can tell aside from the above issues the two interiors should be identical, right? If so, I think the major concern over the partial interior for me is the traffic data.

Any thoughts?

I called Tesla sales today to see if they could answer my questions. They could not tell me how many speakers come with the standard or partial premium interior. Nor could they tell me what the difference in navigation was between partial and full premium. I understand satellite vs standard maps but the traffic piece is confusing.

His answer to pretty much every question I threw at him was that I could return the car within 7 days if I wasn't happy with it.

And, I asked him if the FSD upgrade being offered on my existing M3 included an upgrade to HW3 when available. He said it was just the software, not a hardware upgrade. When I mentioned the tweet from Elon in December stating that FSD buyers would get upgraded for free to HW3 when available, he said he had never heard of that.

I understand satellite vs standard maps but the traffic piece is confusing

Traffic piece means in the premium interior on the map you see a visualization of the traffic, like google maps would, reds, oranges, yellow for where there is traffic. On the non premium you cannot see the traffic but the navigation will use traffic information in determining the route.

I'm curious to get people's thoughts on the difference between the "Partial Premium Interior" and the "Premium Interior". I'm trying to decide between the two cars. I'm retired, so I rarely drive more than 30 miles per day. I have a Tesla wall connector in my garage that I can use daily. So even a car with 240 mile range is more than adequate. I live in Southern California so it rarely dips below around 60 degrees. The extra one tenth of a second of speed on the MR is also meaningless. I'm not a race car driver and I doubt I would notice the difference.

I'm not sure what the difference is between "upgraded audio" and "premium audio". Has anyone learned any specifics here, like number of speakers?

Having traffic on the navigation system seems very important. Am I correct in assuming that there is no traffic data being fed to the Partial Premium Interior? I have an M3 LR RWD now and while I see some traffic data on the maps, I've never been able to figure out if the navigation system is really using it to optimize the route for traffic conditions. It's never suggested a reroute to me while driving. When I use google maps on my iPhone I get reroute suggestions frequently.

I don't care about internet music and streaming. I have an Apple Music subscription I'm happy with that also works with my home audio.

Location aware garage door opener is nice but no big deal to press a button when I want to open the door.

As far as I can tell aside from the above issues the two interiors should be identical, right? If so, I think the major concern over the partial interior for me is the traffic data.

Any thoughts?
if you mostly do driving within the city, picking the longest range or the shortest range Model 3 wouldn't make a difference. However, if you do a lot of road trip or long distance driving, having a longer range M3 would shorten your trip time a lot.

My biggest concern continues to be the traffic data. I guess most important is that it uses the data to calculate the route, but I'm so used to seeing live data in Google Maps on my iPhone that I can't imagine going backwards at this point. I'd hate to think I have to pay an extra $3K for it. I guess we'll have to wait until we see some delivered to find out for sure.

Reactions: Big-T
My biggest concern continues to be the traffic data. I guess most important is that it uses the data to calculate the route, but I'm so used to seeing live data in Google Maps on my iPhone that I can't imagine going backwards at this point. I'd hate to think I have to pay an extra $3K for it. I guess we'll have to wait until we see some delivered to find out for sure.

There is another thread that talk about difference between standard Nav and Satellite Nav with traffic. It sounds like latter is part of premium internet connectivity, so that's only good for one year with current Model 3 packaging. After 1 year, it's $100/year to continue with the premium internet subscription. I am hoping to clarify this tomorrow...

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
There is another thread that talk about difference between standard Nav and Satellite Nav with traffic. It sounds like latter is part of premium internet connectivity, so that's only good for one year with current Model 3 packaging. After 1 year, it's $100/year to continue with the premium internet subscription. I am hoping to clarify this tomorrow...

If that turns out to be correct then it's only a $100 value. But the question is will the SR+ have the option to pay for the traffic visualization as an option. Hopefully whoever you speak to will know more than the salesperson I spoke to today, who could not tell me one thing beyond what the website states.

Any thoughts?
If you have a LR why are you looking for another new car, out of curiosity?

There is the possibility that the SR and SR+ do not have a modem. So zero internet.
Certainly no traffic adjusting nav - to me that is absolutely MR only.

But what about software updates you ask? .... wifi only is absolutely an option. Perhaps even a small fee if you have to come to SC because you don't have home wi-fi.

There are lots of possibilities.

I personally thing the SR+ is a different battery pack than an MR. I do think the SR is probably a software limited SR+ pack

Does anyone really think Tesla can analyze the 300k cars that have AP now? I don't.
They make a big deal about the data but I don't buy it. I have had AP since inception. My car didn't have lane keeping until it was enabled by the initial software update. It really isn't that much better than day 1. People like to think it is learning and I am sure that in some sense it is. But I doubt they have the power to analyze 10,000 cars.
Technology for some is like a higher power. A decent amount of irrational exuberance exists.

There is the possibility that the SR and SR+ do not have a modem. So zero internet.
Certainly no traffic adjusting nav - to me that is absolutely MR only.

If the car did not have a modem you would not be able to access the car remotely through the phone app. That would mean you could not remotely unlock the car, check the location, open the trunk, honk the horn, etc. That would be a severely crippling limitation. I hope they would not do that.

If the car did not have a modem you would not be able to access the car remotely through the phone app. That would mean you could not remotely unlock the car, check the location, open the trunk, honk the horn, etc. That would be a severely crippling limitation. I hope they would not do that.

And LTE connectivity and app connectivity is a must for the new summon feature to work, since WiFi availability is not guaranteed in a parking lot. And Bluetooth can not reach that distance.

Also, the SR+ is showing availability within 2 weeks of ordering. If that number is correct, then either they have built a bunch already and have them in inventory, or they are converting MR's to SR+ through firmware mod.

• Informative
Reactions: Big-T