Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SSD for Dashcam/Sentry dropping connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought a 500gb Sandisk Extreme Pro portable SSD for dashcam/sentry for the car listed in my sig. The power to the USB ports is working fine but when the SSD is connected it seems like the car only intermittently detects it. It'll work anywhere from 20 seconds to 20 minutes and it seems to he unpredictable how it'll function. When it is working though, I am able to format the drive, capture clips, and review them.

I have a jump drive with a power indicator that I've tested with both ports and it looks like both ports stay continuously powered. If I plug a phone in for instances the charging also stays on continuously.

Any ideas?

I use a Samsung 500 GB SSD. I used really short USB-C cords that looked like this:

upload_2020-7-16_9-30-36.png

These would intermittently work. I switched to a thicker USB-C cord and haven't had issues since.

Try changing your cord.

-craigger.

Ordered a Samsung T7 a couple days ago and it came in today. Was already using a sortof short thick cable but not as short as the one you're describing. Car is sitting in garage but as soon as I disconnected the sandisk and plugged in the Samsung it appeared to start working when I turned on sentry mode. We'll see if it lasts when I take a drive later.