Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Staggering amount of issues found at/after delivery. Considering returning the car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, that entire interaction is amateur hour. I get that they're probably extra defensive due to the pressure and perhaps some overly-demanding new owners, but you can't talk to a customer that way or expect them to drop a check for $50-$80k without going through at least a basic inspection and discussion about potential issues with the product.

Reactions: moonfresh
Yeah, that entire interaction is amateur hour. I get that they're probably extra defensive due to the pressure and perhaps some overly-demanding new owners, but you can't talk to a customer that way or expect them to drop a check for $50-$80k without going through at least a basic inspection and discussion about potential issues with the product.

I don't think we are overly demanding when the car has worse build quality than the Hyundai rental that I drove there in (I actually took some photos of that Hyundai Tucson and will upload them as well :)

It seems that tthe delivery "agents" don't understand the difference between "due bill" and "service concern" and use them interchangably. Nothing was noted prior to delivery. They opened a "service concern" whatever that is and said they would schedule to have the car picked up after the glass gets here. No ETA.

I agree this is a complete disaster. I don't have much confidence in the replacement car either. Two days to return the car you say? That's good to know.
Yep...per this email I got:
upload_2018-9-12_9-37-56.png

A lot of this just seems bizarre. Yes, I had trouble with service center delivery people. They are pretty basic employees who lack the training or basic sense to be in the positions they are in.

I was just at the Fremont factory and cars don't move so fast down the line that these things wouldn't be painfully obvious. Most of this stuff most likely occurred during transport or on the service center lot. If you think these guys aren't going to race around and play bumper cars, then you have lost sight of the average 20 year old mentality.

It sounds to me like these guys damaged the vehicle and are trying to unload it on someone to save their own bacon. Hence the aggressive 'this ain't a Model X'.

Yes, I have seen stories in these forums and witnessed paint issues at service centers on my trip down through California this summer but, 5 or so forum reports out 50,000 to 100,000 automobiles seems like a pretty good statistic.

I would not have accepted the car, I would not have accepted the attitude. I delayed buying a Model S for two years because of the poor attitude of the sales people at the service center. But then, people say I'm harsh. To each his own.

Take the car back and ask for another one. You will be hard pressed to find a better vehicle, a better warranty, and a better company to do business with. Take your spine with you this time and only accept the Tesla that you know you paid for. Most of the service center employees you meet cannot afford a Tesla. That is not your problem.

A lot of this just seems bizarre. Yes, I had trouble with service center delivery people. They are pretty basic employees who lack the training or basic sense to be in the positions they are in.

I would not have accepted the car, I would not have accepted the attitude. I delayed buying a Model S for two years because of the poor attitude of the sales people at the service center. But then, people say I'm harsh. To each his own.

This is the problem. I was not told that I actually had the option to reject the car because the took the check as the very first thing. That's very clearly misleading information. I asked for the service manager who says I can (1) either take the car & get the issues fixed via a service ticket and (2) leave the car there and they'll get a non-Tesla rental (btw, Toyota Corolla from Enterprise.) Of course that was before I drove home and found out the ton of additional problems. Of course now I know better, I would be returning it tomorrow and will either ask for the money back or (we'll see how I feel about that) get a replacement.

Well I was given completely misleading information then. Here's my delivery experience:

1. I was greeted by an agent named "X" (the card he gave me had only the generic SC name on it; withholding his name for now as I'm escalating this to the executive level). His first words were "I have another delivery at XX. So we have 5 minutes to do the paperwork in the delivery bay, and we are gonna move your car out there to the lot." Very professional indeed.
2. He insisted that I have to give him the cashier's check BEFORE inspecting the car and doing any paperwork. I'm serious. He said before any paperwork is done, I have to give Tesla the check. I believed him so I did. Well, I'm getting that money back one way (new car, new SC) or another (refund).
3. When I started noticing issues right away, he said all of them are "within spec" even when I pointed to him that the cars in the lot and the demo car didn't have these issues. Then when I started to compare the cars in the lot he said "these are customer cars and you are not allowed to examine them."
4. Then he said "these cars all have variances and yours just happen to be that way."
5. When I insisted, he brought a detailer named "Y" (no card) who buffed out one scratch. He then refused to work on the car and pointed me to a service agent.
6. Then the golden words from "X":

"This isn't a Model X man. It's a mass produced car. You just gotta live with 'em."

Executive escalation here we go!

I want to make sure everyone that is going to take delivery KNOWS that you don't have to do what they say.

When I took delivery they wanted me to do the paper work first, and then take delivery like everyone else was doing. I told them I wasn't going to do that, and I would do the paperwork after inspecting it.

That's absolutely the most important thing. Under no circumstances should someone sign the paperwork before inspection. They shouldn't even be asking us to do this, but some SC's do. You have the power before signing. As soon as you sign you're transferring that power to them.

Try not to do inspection with any SC employees around you. This isn't because their bad or anything like that, but we have a tendency overlook things when someone is watching over our shoulders or when we feel rushed. When I took delivery the guy just left me alone.

Have them move the car outside. You can't see all the paint issues with the inside lighting.

For most of us this is a $60K car if not more so you should have expectations of a $60K+ car. Anything less is a fail, and we're not doing the world any favors by accepting failure.

You can inspect other peoples cars. Heck I started a conversation with someone else taking delivery, and we started comparing things. Obviously you don't want to get inside someone else's car. But, as long as you don't touch there isn't any issue looking at someone else's car if you're not being a pest about it. It only requires a few seconds to check various areas.

I would recommend taking delivery at a SC that has a showroom car. The one in Bellevue, WA does so it was really easy to compare my car against the demo showroom type car. That demo showroom car was pretty much perfect.

I want to make sure everyone that is going to take delivery KNOWS that you don't have to do what they say.

When I took delivery they wanted me to do the paper work first, and then take delivery like everyone else was doing. I told them I wasn't going to do that, and I would do the paperwork after inspecting it.

That's absolutely the most important thing. Under no circumstances should someone sign the paperwork before inspection. They shouldn't even be asking us to do this, but some SC's do. You have the power before signing. As soon as you sign you're transferring that power to them.

Try not to do inspection with any SC employees around you. This isn't because their bad or anything like that, but we have a tendency overlook things when someone is watching over our shoulders or when we feel rushed. When I took delivery the guy just left me alone.

Have them move the car outside. You can't see all the paint issues with the inside lighting.

For most of us this is a $60K car if not more so you should have expectations of a $60K+ car. Anything less is a fail, and we're not doing the world any favors by accepting failure.

You can inspect other peoples cars. Heck I started a conversation with someone else taking delivery, and we started comparing things. Obviously you don't want to get inside someone else's car. But, as long as you don't touch there isn't any issue looking at someone else's car if you're not being a pest about it. It only requires a few seconds to check various areas.

I would recommend taking delivery at a SC that has a showroom car. The one in Bellevue, WA does so it was really easy to compare my car against the demo showroom type car. That demo showroom car was pretty much perfect.

They are mostly 20 year old kids. Who cares what they say or think. You're the boss.

Employee "We only got 5 minutes I have another delivery"

Your response, "Boy, go fetch me a coffee while I inspect my car. I'll take as long as I damn well please so you better cancel your next appointment"

If he gives you any lip, tell them you want to speak with a manager. Don't put up with that sht. I swear, some employees have developed a sense of superiority because the product they sell is in such high demand. But it's important to realize, they are bottom level employees. Basically 1 up from janitor. They have no education, no skills, and no training. Never let them push you around

Here's some additional photos of that beauty for your enjoyment. And yep the car is def. going back, and I'm not gonna drive another 200 miles there again so they better come pick it up. I'm completely done with that service center but I'm gonna raise this as high as needs be to get their horrendous delivery practice noticed.

By the way, you can't really inspect the car that well at the delivery center because their florescent light masks the flashlight. You need to use a strong flashlight to catch most paint defects so this should be done carefully at home. I spotted quite a few late this afternoon under the sun and tonight in incandescent lighting conditions. The panel issues are pretty obvious though.

Attachments

• 20180913_122355.jpg
    20180913_122355.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 255
  • 20180913_124002.jpg
    20180913_124002.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 20180913_132206.jpg
    20180913_132206.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 253
  • 20180913_173043.jpg
    20180913_173043.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 258
  • 20180913_174051.jpg
    20180913_174051.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 247
  • 20180913_214339.jpg
    20180913_214339.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 258
  • 20180913_214444.jpg
    20180913_214444.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 243
  • 20180913_214623.jpg
    20180913_214623.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 20180913_214920.jpg
    20180913_214920.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 248
  • 20180913_214931.jpg
    20180913_214931.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Here's some additional photos of that beauty for your enjoyment. And yep the car is def. going back, and I'm not gonna drive another 200 miles there again so they better come pick it up. I'm completely done with that service center but I'm gonna raise this as high as needs be to get their horrendous delivery practice noticed.

By the way, you can't really inspect the car that well at the delivery center because their florescent light masks the flashlight. You need to use a strong flashlight to catch most paint defects so this should be done carefully at home. I spotted quite a few late this afternoon under the sun and tonight in incandescent lighting conditions. The panel issues are pretty obvious though.

That’s crazy bad. Thankfully my SC is outdoors

98211EB4-7615-4A9B-BDCB-67E3E117249F.jpeg

Yeah if that were my delivery, and an employee said those things to me, he would have received several 4 letter responses. No way that person keeps their job. Sounds similar to the IDA I heard was giving the "My apartment burned down" excuse I was reading about here. Unacceptable!!! I am sorry you had to go through this. This is the kind of story I don't want to be reading before I go through delivery on Monday. I know my local SC has a good reputation, and we have done 2 deliveries there with no issues but they weren't "Mass prodocued cars man" hah.

Reactions: C141medic
Quick update: All calls this morning to their delivery team went to voicemail. No emails were ever returned. I don't even care about the car now. Right now my only fear is them not answering the phone/email today and keeps delaying so I won't get my money back because the two-day return window ends today/tomorrow. Sent message using the account support option (with exec escalation). No response so far.

So at this point what are my options? Because once the window closes I don't know they will process the return. Take them to court? Attorney General's Office? Drive 200 miles there again today and just dump the car there?

By the way, the delivery center is Cleveland-Lyndhurst. Do yourselves a favor and stay away from that place.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden