Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stalk or no stalk argument [not] settled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, we should analyze the matter without considering that the brand Tesla is making these changes and understand from a automotive/ engineering/ ergonomic point of view that whether indicator in steering has benefits compare to stalk. If it does, I'll accept that.

Obviously there is always a trade off in anything.

Having stalk as an independent module that it's functionality is not influenced by the functionality of another module (steering). Ergonomically, we apply force by our arms to move the steering, and we operate the stalk by our fingers (not thumb). This configuration only make sense if the steering is round. So stalks works with a round steering.

The no stalk configuration is ergonomically acceptable if there is a yoke. And only if the yoke doesn't need to turn not more halfway. In this case your thumbs are always where they suppose to be to function.

Another issue is the gear Selector.

First, I don't know what how you would select gear if you break your screen. Second, if you have a yoke configuration, the intent is to keep you hands on the yoke all the time. But that conflicts with selecting gear because to select gear you have to take you hand off the yoke and touch the screen.

Another issue is that selecting gear on screen mandates eye engagement (but not the stalk) which again defeats the purpose of buttons in yoke.

So the no stalk configuration only makes sense if the gear Selector is also on the yoke and the yoke only turns halfway.
Screenshot (219).png

Last edited:
Here's a new perspective that seems to have been missed.........The car is what it is. If you don't like swiping a screen or pushing a button, buy a different car. If you can't figure out how to push a button or which way to swipe a clearly-labeled screen, surrender your driver's license and buy a bus pass.
My point is just I'd like it to be customizable. If I want to swipe down for drive, I should have that choice. Just like you had the choice to be respectful or an ass with your comment.

Because the "up for forward, down for reverse" swipe is the exact opposite of how every other lever-based automatic transmission (that I have driven) works. Obviously this excludes rotary knobs (which IMO are just weird, I'm driving, not changing channels on an old TV) and old Packard/Chrysler push button automatic gear selectors.

While "slide up on the screen for forward" might seem logical given the screen/map layout, it's counter-intuitive for those using a lever (whether on the column, console, or dashboard) to shift. Get rid of the "slide"/"drag" selection gesture entirely. Replace it with big "P" "R" "N" "D" software-buttons arranged in a fixed size and layout with the "P" at the top and the "D" at the bottom and it's far more intuitive. Touch the one you want and Bob's your uncle.

Fixed location touch targets is the key, far better than a clumsy swipe gesture. For those who want to enable auto-shift, identify which direction the car will go by turning the car's gear selection blue. Accelerate and the car moves in the highlighted direction. If the driver wishes to override the car's selected direction, touch the desired direction (which should turn blue to indicate the driver's selection has registered) and then off you go in your selected direction.
When I drove a 2021 BMW X5 I thought the shifter and hold button were weird because they were new to me. A few weeks later I was OK with that.

It would be pretty dangerous if there was not a single standard, if the gear selection screen swipe was different in each Tesla.
Sure, but your custom config/layout would be tied to your profile, so whatever Tesla you got in it would look the same to you. If a guest got in your car they would have the defualt layout or one they had pre-programmed.
In a future release, the car's internal camera would scan your iris and set your profile so you wouldn't even need to remember to set your own profile.
Anything is possible.

Reactions: primedive
Here's a new perspective that seems to have been missed.........The car is what it is. If you don't like swiping a screen or pushing a button, buy a different car. If you can't figure out how to push a button or which way to swipe a clearly-labeled screen, surrender your driver's license and buy a bus pass.
Registration date would suggest lots of people are doing exactly that (choosing a different car).

Almost a month into my Highland ownership, about 1300 miles:

Shifter is a non-issue for me. Never really was.

I still frequently run into turn signal scenarios where the stalk would work better (in terms of accessing the signal) and more consistently (i.e. without a computer deciding when to cancel). I'm 100% "used to it" as so many people in this thread like to say, but I'm also convinced the buttons are inferior to a stalk. Whether it bothers me enough to get an aftermarket stalk remains to be seen, but likely I'll just deal with it. With the changes to the software, it's likely some of the consistency issues would persist, even with an aftermarket turn signal stalk.

Overall, I love the improvements to the Highland, and I'm not crying about it, just offering my opinion after a few weeks of daily use.

Here are US registrations from April. Sure, Model 3 may have still been ramping, but the numbers are still crazy down. (Plenty of inventory cars now in stock though).
One month doesn't tell you much because there are too many variables, including production ramp up.

This article claims Highland is actually in demand and the problem is Tesla's production transition isn't going as smoothly as planned.

I did a quick search of inventory and the only Highlands that are available in my area are demo cars with thousands of miles on them. The ones available that are actually new are either the previous gen or Model Ys.

I should also point out whether or not Highland sells better or not, can't really be used to point to stalks being in demand or not, given changes elsewhere on the car. For example, if Highland ends up selling better in the long run, would the naysayers agree that people prefer no stalk to having a stalk? I think not.

I'm one week in from a 2024 M3P. I typically don't have much trouble adjusting to various cars we've owned or rented over 30 yrs of driving both stick and auto. I thought the turn signals would be more of an adjustment than the gear selection but turns out it was the opposite. I can find the turn signals by feel and my thumb is almost always there so have not minded it at all sometimes liking more than a stalk. The exception has been there have occasional times where the right turn signal won't depress which is a problem. With the gear selector being much more visual than tactile plus being opposite to how one would move a stalk it's been more of an adjustment and not particularly fond of it. I'm still trying to adjust. My wife has not driven the car yet but I can guarantee she is going to hate the changes as she does not do well with change.

Yeah, so if one wants stalks then figure out how to modify a non-stalk car or buy a car with stalks. Quit yer belly achin', or not and then deal with the acid reflux by releasing it on the awesome TMC community.
If by awesome community, you mean hiding behind your keyboard and making snarky comments to people whose opinion may differ from yours? Got it!

Reactions: ph0ton