Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard 85 uncorking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm not sure if this has been beaten to death or what... But I couldn't find any threads on the topic so I figured I'd ask...

Why hasn't there been any news or options regarding uncorking the standard 85?

Not P or D just you standard 85?

Anyone talk to Tesla about this?

Reactions: Dcr3rd
Very unlikely that they will do anything with the old cars. Tesla doesn't care about their early adopters. Jason Hughes used the firmware of a P85 and put it in a standard 85 and it had the P performance. In other words just per software he was able to get the higher performance. According to his observations the drive unit worked just fine and nothing got hotter than normal. So it would technically be possible for Tesla to give old 85 cars a performance boost, but I'm pretty sure it will not happen.

Reactions: xborg and jaguar36
Very unlikely that they will do anything with the old cars. Tesla doesn't care about their early adopters. Jason Hughes used the firmware of a P85 and put it in a standard 85 and it had the P performance. In other words just per software he was able to get the higher performance. According to his observations the drive unit worked just fine and nothing got hotter than normal. So it would technically be possible for Tesla to give old 85 cars a performance boost, but I'm pretty sure it will not happen.

Soooo I am assuming this majorly toasts your warranty right? Like pretty much on everything?

I thought the 85's had already gotten their uncorking. Sometime after the 85 was released a software upgrade was made available to increase the power available to them, increasing performance.

I've had mine since March 2014 and I don't remember any software update that increased power. I think the P85 had an update that would improve passing speed. The standard 85 never got any improvements.

The thing is Jason Hughes is one of a handful of people that have done this, if not the only person that has done this. So we have no idea what the long term affects of that install would be and even if Jason's car lasts forever you can't extrapolate data from one car to the entire fleet.

I recall that the main battery contactors required redesign and special materials to handle the extra current for the higher performance models with bigger batteries. There may be a physical limit to boosting performance if it hasn't been throttled by SW.

I'm in the camp that my 85D is fast enough for daily driving. It's nice to pull away smartly and silently from a stop light but racing in the city is not a good idea just to prove who has the fastest car. I let the testers do that and post acceleration times.

I have seen small cars driven dangerously fast in the city and I let them go ahead. They have other problems, I assume.

The thing is Jason Hughes is one of a handful of people that have done this, if not the only person that has done this. So we have no idea what the long term affects of that install would be and even if Jason's car lasts forever you can't extrapolate data from one car to the entire fleet.

The drive unit is the same. All RWD and P models have the same drive unit on the back wheels. It is capable of much more than the classic 85.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36 and Dcr3rd
The drive unit is the same. All RWD and P models have the same drive unit on the back wheels. It is capable of much more than the classic 85.

Ingineer, widely respected on this forum, says the drive units are different. I haven't dug into either of them but there are a handful of people on this site I would take the word of and he's one of them.

What people don't understand is that it might be a difference as simple as a material on a case, a casting design to handle more torque load, different materials to handle heat, etc. There are so many things that upon initial inspection aren't obvious but if you spoke to the engineers that designed the unit they could point you out to those differences.

At the end of the day I'm all for people being able to do this if they want to void their warranty. I look at it the same way as the BMW guys who tune their turbo cars. You're taking a risk and almost nobody experiences a catastrophic failure but the chance for problems exists. The same goes here. You're probably going to be fine but the potential for failure is there. For that reason, I wouldn't expect Tesla uncap these cars unless they were sure they wouldn't have issues, and apparently they're not which is another reason to suspect that there are specific differences between the drivetrains.

Last edited:
I recall that the main battery contactors required redesign and special materials to handle the extra current for the higher performance models with bigger batteries. There may be a physical limit to boosting performance if it hasn't been throttled by SW.

I don't believe there was ever any differentiator for the rear wheel drive cars. You're thinking of the P85D and P90D cars.

Originally the P drive units were physically different than the non-Ps. At some point Tesla just starting making all of them be the DU that was on the P as the cost difference was negligible. So later 85s probably have the P motor, as do early cars that have had DU replacements.

• Informative
Reactions: thecloud
It just blows my mind that a standard 75 is now significantly faster than a standard 85. :/

Same feeling here. But very happy for those 75 owners.

I am quite a laid back driver. (Proof is I recently changed the original tires... at 45k km/30k miles.)
I agree also with Mike K's argument, that it could be so that some parts are not sized for the extra torque or power. And so a show stopper.

Still, if they could shave a second or so off the 0-60, to be at least on par with a 75, and differentiate from the M3, why not?
I won't start driving crazy because of this, but will have the pleasure of telling this to friends (just another OTA update) and just happy to now and then jump to warp speed 5 instead of 4.

And if not, still a happy owner, got what I paid for anyway. And more actually.

Ingineer, widely respected on this forum, says the drive units are different. I haven't dug into either of them but there are a handful of people on this site I would take the word of and he's one of them.

I concur that the DU is likely different. This is certainly the case with the pre-June 2017 RWD 75. Tesla has firmly stated that they will not uncork these vehicles because they lack the hardware. Thus, I see no chance of a RWD 85 receiving the uncork.