Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard 85 uncorking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've said it elsewhere a few times already but there is speculation that S85s are capable of P85 frequencies, but are tuned down due to defects or issues...

The frequency the drive inverter and motor operate at aren't really any different between the 2 cars[1]. It's the current that differs... there was some thought that there were beefier inverters, but I'm not sure I'd buy that Tesla graded them that way.

[1] Other than possibly top speed, but that's a different limitation.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that an S85 car with the earlier type rear tubular frame will not be upgraded to a P85 by Tesla.

I needed to repair structural damage to my P85 around the rear strut tower support. That required that I check out cable routing and proximity to other stuff in a Tesla body repair manual. I found that the rear frame design was changed from a tubular frame to a webbed flanged beam type structure. See attached pics. Was the upgrade for strength, rigidity or to enable better post production repair weld inspections? I do not know. The particular hardware configuration - motor, inverter, brakes, suspension, battery pack for example - of a car will be taken into consideration. Only Tesla knows from car to car. Probably not worth the trouble upgrading some and not all of them

Attachments

• 1st gen inside rear node 2.pdf
    57.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 2nd gen inside rear node.pdf
    32.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Tesla in Lagos.jpg
    Tesla in Lagos.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
The frequency the drive inverter and motor operate at aren't really any different between the 2 cars[1]. It's the current that differs... there was some thought that there were beefier inverters, but I'm not sure I'd buy that Tesla graded them that way.

[1] Other than possibly top speed, but that's a different limitation.

Sorry to confuse (maybe?), I use "frequency" in the least technical sense possible.