Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Connectivity for new cars limited to 8 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone notice this change to
Standard connectivity with new cars
Limited to 8 years now

Standard Connectivity is included in your vehicle, at no additional cost, for eight years beginning on the first day your vehicle was delivered as new by Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: Audietron
Anyone notice this change to
Standard connectivity with new cars
Limited to 8 years now

Standard Connectivity is included in your vehicle, at no additional cost, for eight years beginning on the first day your vehicle was delivered as new by Tesla

probably because wifi module might be obsolete in 6 years itself... standard connectivity is purely depending on hot-spotting.
I never understood that car purely depending on connectivity for most things, why not they introduce or simply include premium connectivity for life? $10/month is what $1000-2000 over car's life? in return they collect valuable data to improve their algorithm - fair deal.

standard connectivity is purely depending on hot-spotting.
No, standard connectivity uses cellular data for maps, navigation, traffic data, Supercharger stall status, etc.

The way it reads you will no longer have the trip planner functionality once Standard Connectivity expires or be able to see how busy a Supercharger is. (Maybe those things would still work if you hot-spotted the car? But it doesn't read that way.)

I would think you wouldn't be able to access your car remotely either without standard connectivity
They may even disable access over wifi if your not fully subbed up sending big T some scratch for
standard connectivity subscription
They don't list app access as something dependent on Standard Connectivity. (It mentions high bandwidth items, not that I would consider Supercharger status high bandwidth.)

I would think you wouldn't be able to access your car remotely either without standard connectivity
They may even disable access over wifi if your not fully subbed up sending big T some scratch for
standard connectivity subscription
App access is probably native access... regardless of you have access plan, SIM is always active and data is always there... specially for App access and important updates.

A2249DF5-A947-455C-9282-123AA7C9870E.jpeg

Looks like this will apply to orders made after 7/20/22

• Funny
Reactions: Audietron
Yep true they could leave app access functional
I think that would only leave navigation and maybe supercharger status
as an insentive for paying for standard connectivity

View attachment 831865
so if supercharger info not in car, one can simply open the app, go to location, and see nearby supercharger locations and send it to car? easy as, right?
this is like they might charge for bluetooth access in future, because they can... why not simply allow user's to use e-SIM instead? I can simply get secondary SIM (eSIM) for my current number and link that to car.... allowing me to use phone capability and data within my current plan and more functionality.

View attachment 831861
Looks like this will apply to orders made after 7/20/22
Smarty lawyers writing these terms.... highlighted area indicates vehicle older than 2018 can receive it free for life unless retrofit or upgrade required (like MCU is commonly upgraded by users to get current updates and latest features) which would void the premium access.

1658577689211.png

SO catch 22 for users with car older than 2018.... keep premium connectivity for free, which they are legally entitled to - but kind of useless without latest MCU.... or upgrade with latest MCU and hardware's, only to find more practical use for premium connectivity - only to find now they need to pay for something offered for free when purchasing the car.

SO catch 22 for users with car older than 2018.... keep premium connectivity for free, which they are legally entitled to - but kind of useless without latest MCU.... or upgrade with latest MCU and hardware's, only to find more practical use for premium connectivity - only to find now they need to pay for something offered for free when purchasing the car.
They are just saying that they don't provide cellular modem upgrades for free with the connectivity packages. Like you have MCU1 with 3G, most carriers are shutting that down now, so your premium connectivity will stop working unless you upgrade to the LTE modem or MCU2, which they won't do for free. But if you do either of those upgrades you keep your lifetime free premium connectivity if you had it.

They are just saying that they don't provide cellular modem upgrades for free with the connectivity packages. Like you have MCU1 with 3G, most carriers are shutting that down now, so your premium connectivity will stop working unless you upgrade to the LTE modem or MCU2, which they won't do for free. But if you do either of those upgrades you keep your lifetime free premium connectivity if you had it.
Hopefully that's the case. as last sentence says as in future new feature...… Opportunity to upgrade connectivity plan..

Has any one ordered a car before 07/2022 and received it after mostly 2023 models ? What are your add-ons showing ? My car was ordered 05/2022 and delivered 12/2022

Attachments

• 40E6C1C4-0B96-4518-890C-466091015488.jpeg
    40E6C1C4-0B96-4518-890C-466091015488.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 38
When they first released the Model S their agreement said that the connectivity, now called premium connectivity, was only good for 4 years. They never actually enforced that. My car has now passed 8 years, and still has premium connectivity free. Not sure if maybe the cell idea is it. Maybe people are sueing them to upgrade their cars for free.

I guess all those lawyers Musk has been hiring have to do something!