Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range Model Y Currently Unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Standard Range Model Y has disappeared from Tesla’s online ordering page. People looking to purchase the all-electric crossover will need to spend at least $48,990 for the Long Range all-wheel drive variant. It’s not clear why the variant was removed. It’s strange for the Standard range Model Y disappeared days after it also received a...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2021/02/22/standard-range-model-y-currently-unavailable/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sebat4
My WAG is Tesla got reliable word legislation for the renewal of the fed tax credit ($7k or whatever) is imminent and thus decided to kill the SR Y so that people could still effectively get a $41k Model Y (49 - fed tax credit). So to maximize revenue, they killed the SR Y for the time being.
The more puzzling thing is why they dropped the price of the SR Y by $2k just prior to killing it altogether.

• Informative
Reactions: Sebat4
It's another real surprise to me. I don't know if it's good news or bad news for what I really want: LR RWD. Having it available for such a short time shows either a lack of strategic planning or a willingness to try stuff out and make changes quickly - I prefer the second.

I have a question. If one orders the Model Y without the self-driving option ($10,000), can that be added later? In other words, if we decide that we want to add the self-driving option at some point in the future, will that be possible or must it be ordered as part of the original build of the car? Thanks in advance for any info on this.

I have a question. If one orders the Model Y without the self-driving option ($10,000), can that be added later? In other words, if we decide that we want to add the self-driving option at some point in the future, will that be possible or must it be ordered as part of the original build of the car? Thanks in advance for any info on this.

It can be added, but the cost may be higher. It should be $10K initially, and for a bit of time, but eventually it will likely go up.

We're in SoCal and my wife is looking for an SR MY. Local Tesla rep says all available cars are in TX and require transport (for a fee). From those who've dealt with this sort of thing, are there likely to be more cars released before they're gone for good?

We're in SoCal and my wife is looking for an SR MY. Local Tesla rep says all available cars are in TX and require transport (for a fee). From those who've dealt with this sort of thing, are there likely to be more cars released before they're gone for good?
For now, they’re gone for good. They do not plan on releasing anymore. Although, with Tesla, they can make an announcement out of the blue and say “We’re bringing it back”, as they did with the release and halt of the SR Model Y. But for now, they’re gone.

I’m also in LA. MY coming from Miami with a transport fee of 2k. Honestly don’t see them bringing SR back, once they’re gone that’s it.

Indeed. I paid 1k for my transport, considering we get that 1,500 off right away, I didn’t see it as a bad deal. Much better than paying the extra 10k for the LR. Mine is coming Thursday.
That’s exactly how I saw it too! I’ll be taking delivery next week. Like you said beats paying 10k extra for LR. Other than that it’s the same exact car! Congrats!

Reactions: RedWhite19
so can it still be ordered off menu?
You can place a request with an advisor but then they will be fighting with everyone else for cars that are rejected due to quality issues or orders that are canceled or changed to LR. I have seen 4 such cars pop up in inventory over the last week. And there are probably thousands of requests in. And you will pay a transport fee depending on where the vehicle is. Most have been east coast.

Last edited: