Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range Plus Supercharging Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some more data for SR+, charging from 2% to 100% at a V2 supercharger.
Details: software 2020.28.6, 9pm (dark), outside temp 83F, I had been driving for a couple hours beforehand.
TeslaFi data: 52.9 kWh used, 50.94 kWh added to battery (242.51 rated miles added). The car screen showed +51 kWh.
Max power was 149 kW (712 mi/hr). The car showed 249 miles at 100% state of charge. It has about 1,000 miles on the odometer.

Observations:
I hit 146 kW at 10% SOC vs the 4% shown on the ideal curve and I only stayed at 144 kW until 24% vs the 33% shown.
I was at 74 kW as I passed 50% SOC, not even close to 100 kW which I passed through at 39% SOC.

I'm not sure how close my conditions were to ideal; 83F is pretty warm I guess.

View attachment 574635

View attachment 574636

Great data! I think the relatively early taper implies that even though the battery was "warm," it was not hot enough to achieve optimal charging rates. Did the loud battery cooling system come on while you were charging?

I have seen close to 100 kW at 50% SOC, but it usually only happens on the 2nd or 3rd supercharge of the day during a long drive...

Great data! I think the relatively early taper implies that even though the battery was "warm," it was not hot enough to achieve optimal charging rates. Did the loud battery cooling system come on while you were charging?

I have seen close to 100 kW at 50% SOC, but it usually only happens on the 2nd or 3rd supercharge of the day during a long drive...
Thanks for the feedback. The loud battery cooling system did come on during the supercharge. I will have to go back through the video and see exactly when it came on.

My activity for the day was:
Driving on the highway 11:40am - 1:15pm
Driving around town intermitently 2pm - 6:30pm
Supercharge 22% - 60% 6:49pm - 7:03pm
Highway driving 7:03pm - 8:24pm
Stopped at home for 10 minutes
Highway driving to lower battery from 9% to 2%: 8:34pm - 8:57pm
Supercharge 2% - 100% 9pm - 10:25pm

I would have thought that a supercharge + highway driving + supercharge would've put the battery in a warm enough state but who knows. I guess there are some OBD reader + phone apps that will display the battery temp?

I picked up my new Model 3 Standard Range Plus a week ago, and had to immediately take it on a road trip from South Florida to North Carolina. I was so excited...then excitement turned to a sinking feeling in my stomach when it was taking 45 mins or so at V2 and V3 chargers throughout the trip. For the majority of the charge, I was getting an average of 50-75 KW. The highest it ever spiked was 163 KW, but then it was back down under 100 within a few minutes, and even with less than 50% battery life. Generally, I was getting around 50-75KW speed with less than or close to 50% battery life at all Supercharging stations (I visited them 12 times during my trip), and this cannot be right, especially at V3 charging stations....right?! (see attached images)

I need to know what the speeds I should be getting are, because I brought it into the shop upon returning and am being told that everything is normal. I know that cannot be the case because I compared my speeds to dozens of other people along my trip and all of them were getting faster speeds than me. I even used the same stall as someone who was getting double the speed I was getting on an older Model S, and did not get anywhere near the speed he was getting.

To answer your questions: Yes, the battery was being preconditioned; the outside temperatures did not have any impact as I drove through hot and cold weather without any difference in speed; no, I was not sharing a stall with anyone; I usually arrived at the charging stations with anywhere from 8mi to 70mi left; yes, I know that the battery charges quickly at first, and slowly as it approaches 80%. But from everything I know, the charge speeds should be significantly higher when my battery is far below 80%

I'm very close to demanding a new car, as everyone I have spoken to says the speeds should be much faster (except for Tesla, which tells me everything is normal).

HELP!
IMG_8657.jpg
IMG_8651.jpg
62966286644__0C5EB511-029A-4507-972C-65C4B4449B3D.jpg
IMG_8647.jpg

(moderator note: Moved posts in this separate thread to thread on standard range+ supercharging speed, referenced below)

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Standard Range plus cars are not capable of full V3 supercharging speeds.

The speed of these things varies pretty wildly in my experience even in a long range car. There’s almost certainly nothing wrong with your car.

Edit: it sounds like you already know this but having the max charge slider set to 100% will GREATLY skew the estimated completion time. Anything beyond 80% gets really slow.

Reactions: Big Earl
Standard Range Plus is not capable of full v3? Is that well-known? Can you provide a link?

In any event, 65KW or so when the battery is close to 50% goes against everything I've read and seen, but it seems no one really knows. Despite the production of millions of cars, it still seems like the Wild Wild West with this stuff.

Good thought on the slider. I was on a road trip so I wanted to get the most mileage, but the speed after 200 miles was like 30KW, which is unmanageable, so I would leave around 200mi every time. But putting it closer to 80 would probably give me more accurate "Time Remaining"

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
When I had my SR+, it usually peaked around 15-20% SoC, and began to throttle down from there. By 50%, charge rate would typically be in the 60-65 kW range. Similar to what you’re seeing.

Charge time ranged from 20-45 minutes depending on distance to next supercharger or destination.

Reactions: Big Earl
Here you go, from Tesla.com.

The standard range plus cars charge at about 2/3 the speed of long range.

Nothing likely to be wrong with your car.

View attachment 620589

Wow, I had no idea. That’s very enlightening while also disappointing as that makes it impossible to take this care on a real road trip like this (800 miles). Added an extra 4 hours to the drive.. but I guess it could continue to improve via software updates

When I had my SR+, it usually peaked around 15-20% SoC, and began to throttle down from there. By 50%, charge rate would typically be in the 60-65 kW range. Similar to what you’re seeing.

Charge time ranged from 20-45 minutes depending on distance to next supercharger or destination.
Thanks for the feedback. Guess this is standard. Disappointing though.

I guess the move is to charge only as much as needed to get to the next station so you spend less time at slower speeds

I know that the battery charges quickly at first, and slowly as it approaches 80%. But from everything I know, the charge speeds should be significantly higher when my battery is far below 80%
Anything beyond 80% gets really slow.
There is NOTHING special about 80%.

Standard Range Plus is not capable of full v3? Is that well-known? Can you provide a link?
Thread: Standard Range Plus Supercharging Speed

Wow, I had no idea. That’s very enlightening while also disappointing as that makes it impossible to take this care on a real road trip like this (800 miles). Added an extra 4 hours to the drive.. but I guess it could continue to improve via software updates

Give yourself some time before being disappointed with charging speed. I’ve done many 2000+ mile trips and the difference in speed ends up being like ten minutes per stop.

On long trips you put the end destination in the nav and it will calculate out the stops and how long you need to stay at each one. You don’t wait for the full 80% or whatever at each stop; it just helps you hop from one to the next as quickly as possible.

Don’t let max supercharger rate discourage your trips. It’s a wonderful road trip car.

I picked up my new Model 3 Standard Range Plus a week ago, and had to immediately take it on a road trip from South Florida to North Carolina. I was so excited...then excitement turned to a sinking feeling in my stomach when it was taking 45 mins or so at V2 and V3 chargers throughout the trip. For the majority of the charge, I was getting an average of 50-75 KW. The highest it ever spiked was 163 KW, but then it was back down under 100 within a few minutes, and even with less than 50% battery life. Generally, I was getting around 50-75KW speed with less than or close to 50% battery life at all Supercharging stations (I visited them 12 times during my trip), and this cannot be right, especially at V3 charging stations....right?! (see attached images)

Your kWs in your images seem pretty close to what I see when I super charge my plus. I don't charge/set to 100% so I've not seen a 45 minute estimate. When I'm low, around 20%, I see about a 30 minute estimate to charge up to 80-90%

Well I’ve got tens of thousands of supercharging miles under my belt and the taper gets more significant after 80%.

Not sure why you’re yelling about it but there’s not really much debate about charge taper as SOC climbs past 80%.

May I ask what you’re disagreeing about? Your supercharger speeds don’t taper dramatically at high states of charge?

• Funny
I guess the move is to charge only as much as needed to get to the next station so you spend less time at slower speeds

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. :)

That is exactly how you should charge for a trip. Start the day with 100% if possible and plan to drive below 20% for your first stop, and then just charge enough to be in the 10-20% range by the next Supercharger stop. (Or lower if you are comfortable.)

Give yourself some time before being disappointed with charging speed. I’ve done many 2000+ mile trips and the difference in speed ends up being like ten minutes per stop.

On long trips you put the end destination in the nav and it will calculate out the stops and how long you need to stay at each one. You don’t wait for the full 80% or whatever at each stop; it just helps you hop from one to the next as quickly as possible.

Don’t let max supercharger rate discourage your trips. It’s a wonderful road trip car.
I hear you, but it added 4 hours to a 12 hour drive. I don't know how you can do seriously long road trips when you have to stop every 1.5-2 hours and wait 30-45 minutes per charge... how is this a good road trip car?

Again, there is no special taper event at 80%. Period.

Of course the battery tapers, but being above or below 80% is irrelevant.

Look I’m trying to help someone who is clearly brand new to the concept and usage of superchargers understand what’s going on.

Being above 80% SOC results in much slower charging than below, in general, and if one sets the slider for estimated time to completion above 80% (or 77.3 or 81.7 or whatever pedantic amount you’re after here) it will give a disproportionately longer estimated time to finish. This makes it seem like stops take much longer than expected.

This new driver is clearly discouraged by what they’re interpreting to be extremely long charge times and I’m trying to get a concept across. Supercharging slows dramatically at high SOC and I don’t think a detailed plot point is going to be super helpful.

So while there is NOTHING SPECIAL about 80% it’s a good figure for someone who’s never done this before to understand why they’re seeing something they didn’t expect.

Period.

• Funny
Reactions: Zoomit
I hear you, but it added 4 hours to a 12 hour drive. I don't know how you can do seriously long road trips when you have to stop every 1.5-2 hours and wait 30-45 minutes per charge... how is this a good road trip car?

As said above you only want just enough to get to the next supercharger and the car’s GPS can help you figure that out.

Waiting until charging is “done” (at whatever percent you’ve specified since apparently I shouldn’t name one for fear of being chastised) will just waste time. You want to let the car help you draw down charge low and then use the fastest charging speeds before taper to get as many miles as quickly as possible to get you to the next one

It takes longer than gas but in my experience it’s rarely a bother. Just give it some more practice before becoming discouraged.