Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range Plus Supercharging Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look I’m trying to help someone who is clearly brand new to the concept and usage of superchargers understand what’s going on.

Being above 80% SOC results in much slower charging than below, in general, and if one sets the slider for estimated time to completion above 80% (or 77.3 or 81.7 or whatever pedantic amount you’re after here) it will give a disproportionately longer estimated time to finish. This makes it seem like stops take much longer than expected.

This new driver is clearly discouraged by what they’re interpreting to be extremely long charge times and I’m trying to get a concept across. Supercharging slows dramatically at high SOC and I don’t think a detailed plot point is going to be super helpful.

So while there is NOTHING SPECIAL about 80% it’s a good figure for someone who’s never done this before to understand why they’re seeing something they didn’t expect.

Period.
Look I’m trying to help someone who is clearly brand new to the concept and usage of superchargers understand what’s going on.

Being above 80% SOC results in much slower charging than below, in general, and if one sets the slider for estimated time to completion above 80% (or 77.3 or 81.7 or whatever pedantic amount you’re after here) it will give a disproportionately longer estimated time to finish. This makes it seem like stops take much longer than expected.

This new driver is clearly discouraged by what they’re interpreting to be extremely long charge times and I’m trying to get a concept across. Supercharging slows dramatically at high SOC and I don’t think a detailed plot point is going to be super helpful.

So while there is NOTHING SPECIAL about 80% it’s a good figure for someone who’s never done this before to understand why they’re seeing something they didn’t expect.

Period.
I appreciate the info. It's really helpful. Just don't think I will be taking it on too many long road trips.

I hear you, but it added 4 hours to a 12 hour drive. I don't know how you can do seriously long road trips when you have to stop every 1.5-2 hours and wait 30-45 minutes per charge... how is this a good road trip car?

In many of your pictures, it appears that you’re plugging in with around 40% state of charge remaining. This will result in long charging stops since you aren’t utilizing the portion of the battery that charges the quickest.

Try targeting 15% on arrival at each supercharger (more if it’s below freezing, snowing or there is a strong head wind). Also, don’t try to skip superchargers unless they’re really close together. Stretching your legs beyond 120 to 150 miles will also result in lengthy charging stops.

Utilizing these tips should cut your charging time down by a significant amount. You can also experiment with trip planning and see how weather and elevation changes impact range at A Better Routeplanner ... this is an essential tool for long distance driving.

You bought an SR+ for a road trip car? I think the issue is that you bought the wrong car. Not trying to be a jerk, but it’s like buying pocket knife and expecting it to carve your thanksgiving turkey and getting upset when it doesn’t. Even a long range Model 3 operates at a significant handicap to a gas car for long distance travel, especially in cold weather, and so the SR+ even more so.

The SR+ can certainly do long distance travel, but you’ll pay for it with your time. This is coming from a happy 2019 SR+ owner. I appreciate the car for what it is and was intended for.

Thanks for the feedback. Guess this is standard. Disappointing though.

I guess the move is to charge only as much as needed to get to the next station so you spend less time at slower speeds

That’s exactly the approach with any Tesla. I have a long range now, but still take the same approach. Only exception is when I know there will be a planned lunch/dinner stop at a sit down restaurant.

I’m in the East coast where SC’s are typically 100-120miles apart. I typically pulled into superchargers at under 10% and charged to 60% on average. Made for quicker stops.

We did two 800 mile one way trips with our SR+ (Atlanta,GA to Tulsa,OK) and charge time was about 2.5 hours total.

If you aren’t familiar with it, download A Better Route Planner navigation app. It’sa great tool to help plan long trips in your Tesla.

I picked up my new Model 3 Standard Range Plus a week ago, and had to immediately take it on a road trip from South Florida to North Carolina. I was so excited...then excitement turned to a sinking feeling in my stomach when it was taking 45 mins or so at V2 and V3 chargers throughout the trip. For the majority of the charge, I was getting an average of 50-75 KW. The highest it ever spiked was 163 KW, but then it was back down under 100 within a few minutes, and even with less than 50% battery life. Generally, I was getting around 50-75KW speed with less than or close to 50% battery life at all Supercharging stations (I visited them 12 times during my trip), and this cannot be right, especially at V3 charging stations....right?! (see attached images)

I need to know what the speeds I should be getting are, because I brought it into the shop upon returning and am being told that everything is normal. I know that cannot be the case because I compared my speeds to dozens of other people along my trip and all of them were getting faster speeds than me. I even used the same stall as someone who was getting double the speed I was getting on an older Model S, and did not get anywhere near the speed he was getting.

To answer your questions: Yes, the battery was being preconditioned; the outside temperatures did not have any impact as I drove through hot and cold weather without any difference in speed; no, I was not sharing a stall with anyone; I usually arrived at the charging stations with anywhere from 8mi to 70mi left; yes, I know that the battery charges quickly at first, and slowly as it approaches 80%. But from everything I know, the charge speeds should be significantly higher when my battery is far below 80%

I'm very close to demanding a new car, as everyone I have spoken to says the speeds should be much faster (except for Tesla, which tells me everything is normal).

HELP!
View attachment 620580 View attachment 620581View attachment 620583 View attachment 620582

(moderator note: Moved posts in this separate thread to thread on standard range+ supercharging speed, referenced below)

You are charging all wrong and wasting time. You are going in to each charging session with too high state of charge and stopping too often. Try to plan out your trip beforehand by using abetterrouteplanner.com. You will see that you didn't need to stop so many times. And you need to get in to each station with less than 20% charge remaining and stop charging at the level you need to get to the next charger with buffer. (This is usually under/around 80%)

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
I hear you, but it added 4 hours to a 12 hour drive. I don't know how you can do seriously long road trips when you have to stop every 1.5-2 hours and wait 30-45 minutes per charge... how is this a good road trip car?
This is the way to do it. If you ride the bottom of the battery and only charge enough to make it to the next station, you can cut the charging time almost in half. Driving time between stops is about an hour to an hour and a half and charging is only 10 to 20 minutes.
ABRP Miami-Raleigh SR+.jpg

One trick you can try next time is to enter the next Supercharger in the NAV while charging and it will send you a notification on your phone when you have enough charge to make it there.

A Better Routeplanner