Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Star Trek: Picard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just watched it and I can't figure out how they got Patrick Steward to act so badly. The others were predictably terrible actors just filling in till the kung-fu shoot-em-ups started, but he's a really good actor. They must have paid him a lot to not upstage the rest of the cast.

It would be nice too if science fiction shows used human writers for at least the next few years till the AI writers got better.

I really don't like how most of the new series just split one story into multiple episodes just to make up one season. Literally nothing happened in episode 2. It seems so forced how they decided to feed us only the tiniest bits of information...

I miss TNG style episodes which mostly had minimal connection one to another and they could be watched and re-watched indefinitely. Heck, I still watch TNG almost weekly.
B5, DS9 and to an even greater degree Disco had a long running story arc and didn't have self-contained eps like all TOS and almost all of TNG.

ST: D, Picard Show and shows like The Expanse and Man in the High Castle (for, example) aren't self-contained at all.

With broadcast TV dependent on ratings (e.g. Nielsen) and needing to be supported by ads (doesn't work so well when Nielsen numbers are low/declining --> can't fetch much advertising $), some shows just can't survive on story arcs due to the amount of drop off and folks who can't just jump right in via a random ep.

Since you like TNG, you might get a laugh out of Rated G Jokes, specifically "Young Person's Guide to Writing Lines for the Character of Geordi LaForge!" that's in there. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: cucubits
Having watched the 2nd episode I'm sad to say I feel a bit disappointed. I really don't like how most of the new series just split one story into multiple episodes just to make up one season. Literally nothing happened in episode 2. It seems so forced how they decided to feed us only the tiniest bits of information...

I miss TNG style episodes which mostly had minimal connection one to another and they could be watched and re-watched indefinitely. Heck, I still watch TNG almost weekly.
I must now admit, I fell asleep during the 2nd episode. I thought it was just because I was tired, but after reading your post I conclude I was bored. I will still watch every episode, as I have done from the beginning of the Star Trek franchise, but getting through this installment may be trying at times. I’m hopeful things pick up once they get rolling. I recall Discovery getting bad reviews after the first couple of episodes, but turned that around as the series gained footing.

B5, DS9 and to an even greater degree Disco had a long running story arc and didn't have self-contained eps like all TOS and almost all of TNG.

ST: D, Picard Show and shows like The Expanse and Man in the High Castle (for, example) aren't self-contained at all.

With broadcast TV dependent on ratings (e.g. Nielsen) and needing to be supported by ads (doesn't work so well when Nielsen numbers are low/declining --> can't fetch much advertising $), some shows just can't survive on story arcs due to the amount of drop off and folks who can't just jump right in via a random ep.

Since you like TNG, you might get a laugh out of Rated G Jokes, specifically "Young Person's Guide to Writing Lines for the Character of Geordi LaForge!" that's in there. :)

Sadly that makes sense. I did enjoy the Expanse a lot (especially coming from the books, I felt like I knew the characters much better from the start). I say sadly because being a long connected story, it just made me binge watch it all in a very short time and now there's zero reasons to re-watch random episodes, even though I love that universe and all the characters.

I am not a fan of Star Trek. Never have been. I was in my 20's when it first came out and my friends loved it. I hated the overarching premise that the bad guys (Romulans, obviously intended to be Russians, and Klingons, obviously intended to be Chinese) were pure evil who could not be reasoned with and the only answer was to blow them up. TNG was not as bad. By then we had relations with China and the Klingons had become our friends. And Picard was far more open to peaceful resolution of conflict than Kirk was. But I still thought the show was stupid. They travel where "no man has gone before" and find English-speaking aliens who look almost exactly like us. FAIL!

So I watched the first episode of Picard because Stewart is a good actor and because it's free on YouTube right now. I was not impressed. As someone who never liked Star Trek, I do not mind that I won't be able to watch the rest of this series.

BTW, I absolutely loved Galaxy Quest.

I hated the overarching premise that the bad guys (Romulans, obviously intended to be Russians, and Klingons, obviously intended to be Chinese)

In all my years of watching every Star Trek related series/movie out there, I have never ever thought about the Romulas and Klingons this way. I honestly have no idea where you got this from.

In all my years of watching every Star Trek related series/movie out there, I have never ever thought about the Romulas and Klingons this way. I honestly have no idea where you got this from.

It was just so obvious back then. Maybe not so much now. The Vietnam war was raging, the Russians and the Chinese were the big bad boogeymen. Then by TNG we had relations with the Chinese, so the Klingons had become good guys but the Russians were the "evil empire."

It was just so obvious back then. Maybe not so much now. The Vietnam war was raging, the Russians and the Chinese were the big bad boogeymen. Then by TNG we had relations with the Chinese, so the Klingons had become good guys but the Russians were the "evil empire."

ok, I can see how that would make sense back them. I was way too young when TNG was new to understand it.

For those who want to check out Discovery and or Picard but don't want to pay for the service (for now) or the week trial isn't enough, there's this.

As I posted at CBS All Access (?):

1-Month CBS All Access Trial Membership (New or Returning Members) Free claims
CBS.com is offering New Users: 1-Month CBS All Access Trial Membership for Free when you apply promo code DETECTIVE at checkout. Thanks BrianK5207& maxsom [Discuss]

Additionally, CBS.com is Offering Returning Subscribers: 1-Month CBS All Access Trial Membership for Free when you apply promo code INTERROGATION at checkout.

Note, you may select the plan of your choice (Commercial Free or Limited Commercials Plan).

Editor's Notes & Price Research
Written by
Offer is valid through 2/28/20. At end of the one month trial, your card will automatically be charged for your first monthly subscription period unless you cancel prior to the end of the free month.
Numerous folks on TCF report that it works along with 1 guy at my work, so far.

• Informative
Some folks who get their
I am. Not particularly happy how they found a way to show so little in each episode and drag the story... we're at 5 now (released a couple days ago).
I agree. Season 1 is only 10 episodes.

To me, what they covered in the 1st 4 eps would've been done in maybe 2 eps of TNG. I spoke to a Trek fan at my work who was caught up thru ep 5 at the time and he agreed.

And, in the old days, a season was usually 20 to 26 eps.

I also saw last month that Star Trek: Picard was already renewed for Season 2....
It was renewed for season 2 before any episodes of season aired.

I don't know how much Amazon is funding Picard show, but for all we know, it might've be similar to how ST: D was funded and CBS Viacom might just be spending Amazon's money.

The below was case for ST: D from https://variety.com/2016/biz/news/leslie-moonves-star-trek-netflix-nil-1201865908/
The price Netflix paid for the new “Star Trek: Discovery” series (sight unseen as the show went straight to series) will cover the show’s production costs.

“I go to bed at night a lot happier knowing that ‘Star Trek’ is 100 percent paid for before it goes on our All Access service,” Moonves said.

As a Star Trek fanatic, I'm definitely still watching. Hopefully the last few episodes are just a mid-season lull between a decent start and a great finish to season 1. Maybe season 2 will go next level (as with Discovery).

I really WANT to love this show. The larger story arc is very exciting to me but the execution lacks a bit.

As a drawing card, Patrick Stewart is a 10. However, can I be sacrilegious and suggest he may be a weakness of the show?