Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink and Ukraine War discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The objective here is to give a negative color on Musk and his companies.. never mind this war would have been long over in favor of Russians, without Starlink.

Obviously Starlink is a useful resource, but do you have anything that describes it as being THE critical capability in the war that has prevented the Russians from winning?

Why did US govt buy Starlink services for Ukraine if they could provide something better and more robust?

Because it was the best solution for a useful capability?

I'm questioning what evidence there is that it's the critical capability that has prevented the Russians from winning?

Wars have been fought and won without it in the past... in some cases by armies less technically sophisticated.

Reactions: DrGriz and navguy12
Because it was the best solution for a useful capability?

I'm questioning what evidence there is that it's the critical capability that has prevented the Russians from winning?

Wars have been fought and won without it in the past... in some cases by armies less technically sophisticated.
There are multiple reasons (and combinations thereof) why wars are won. Anything from more determined fighters to weather. But having a good tool is better than not having one. Ukraine seems to be heavily using drones and without that capability, there is a bigger chance for defeat.

Perhaps there can be a repeat of this but maybe not:

There are multiple reasons (and combinations thereof) why wars are won. Anything from more determined fighters to weather. But having a good tool is better than not having one.

Again, not trying to be argumentative, but what evidence do you have for asserting that the Ukrainians would have lost without Starlink (and "long ago", implying it's not only critical but overwhelmingly so)?:

...this war would have been long over in favor of Russians, without Starlink.

There are other communications/data dissemination methods.... radio being a traditional one.

Again, not trying to be argumentative, but what evidence do you have for asserting that the Ukrainians would have lost without Starlink (and "long ago", implying it's not only critical but overwhelmingly so)?:

There are other communications/data dissemination methods.... radio being a traditional one.

Radio can be jammed, no?

Ukraine seems to heavily use drones.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz and tivoboy
Radio can be jammed, no?

Ukraine seems to heavily use drones.

Paywalled. Does it have something to support your assertion, or are you just avoiding answering directly?

Paywalled. Does it have something to support your assertion, or are you just avoiding answering directly?
I honestly don’t know what you are after.

Ukraine seems to think Starlink is pretty darn important to their success. Sent you articles stating how critical it is.

Here’s another. There was even a video on X a while back of several Ukrainian soldiers thanking Elon for Starlink. (Can’t find it.) Even Zelensky recognized it. If it wasn’t that vital, I doubt they would have done it. Remember, Russia knocked out most (all?) other forms of electronic communication. If you can’t communicate, you are pretty much SOL for coordination.

I honestly don’t know what you are after.

Ukraine seems to think Starlink is pretty darn important to their success. Sent you articles stating how critical it is.

Here’s another. There was even a video on X a while back of several Ukrainian soldiers thanking Elon for Starlink. (Can’t find it.) Even Zelensky recognized it. If it wasn’t that vital, I doubt they would have done it. Remember, Russia knocked out most (all?) other forms of electronic communication. If you can’t communicate, you are pretty much SOL for coordination.

Just like to see evidence for categorical assertions.

While folks may hold strong opinions, that's not the same as stating something as fact.

Just like to see evidence for categorical assertions.

While folks may hold strong opinions, that's not the same as stating something as fact.

The EVIDENCE is the fact that the leader of Ukraine, several military personnel in Ukraine and the US have made it clear it is “IMPORTANT”.

Wether or not they would have fallen is based on my “expert” OPiNION. Should have been obvious. Just like anyone stating the opposite. Difficult to prove a fact on a hypothetical with real life and no ability to run a parallel simulation.. you seem to want to say they wouldn’t have fallen. Can you factually prove they wouldn’t have fallen by now without it?

What a ridiculous discussion.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Electroman
The EVIDENCE is the fact that the leader of Ukraine, several military personnel in Ukraine and the US have made it clear it is “IMPORTANT”.

Lot of things are important. Starlink undoubtedly is as well. You simply asserted the Ukraine would have already lost without it, long ago no less.

Wether or not they would have fallen is based on my “expert” OPiNION. Should have been obvious. Just like anyone stating the opposite.

I did not know if you had seen a statement by someone with firsthand knowledge to the effevce it prevented the Russians from winning some time ago. Hence my question.

Difficult to prove a fact on a hypothetical with real life and no ability to run a parallel simulation..

Hence the danger in making categorical assertions. ;)

you seem to want to say they wouldn’t have fallen.

Nope. Never said, or even implied any such thing. Please supply if you disagree.

Can you factually prove they wouldn’t have fallen by now without it?

Nope. But I never asserted they would have.

What a ridiculous discussion.

It would have been much easier if my initial question had been answered directly.

You simply asserted the Ukraine would have already lost without it, long ago no less.
@SO16 didn't say that, I did.

Now ask me that question and I will answer.

I am a self professed military expert and I know that Ukraine's defense would have been far less effective without any (even rudimentary) electronic communication. Given that the whole war has been in a balance for quite some time, it only takes a few dominoes to fall before the whole façade crumbles. For all his good intentions, I blame Elon for extending this war needlessly.

Why did US govt buy Starlink services for Ukraine if they could provide something better and more robust?

It’s worth noting that such a service doesn’t exist. Starshield isn’t a thing yet and there’s no way The Man would let Ukraine—a country that’s closer to The Enemy Of Our Enemy than Best Buds on the Are They An Ally? spectrum—use DOD satcomm solutions anyway. (Existing or not)

There may be a few western GEOs that cover Ukraine (SES? Eutelsat?) that perhaps could be considerd, but that would probably make for akward bedfellows considering the players, plus GEOs are easier to jam.

Reactions: scaesare
It’s worth noting that such a service doesn’t exist. Starshield isn’t a thing yet and there’s no way The Man would let Ukraine—a country that’s closer to The Enemy Of Our Enemy than Best Buds on the Are They An Ally? spectrum—use DOD satcomm solutions anyway. (Existing or not)

There may be a few western GEOs that cover Ukraine (SES? Eutelsat?) that perhaps could be considerd, but that would probably make for akward bedfellows considering the players, plus GEOs are easier to jam.
I wasn’t referring to Starshield.

@SO16 didn't say that, I did.

Now ask me that question and I will answer.

I am a self professed military expert and I know that Ukraine's defense would have been far less effective without any (even rudimentary) electronic communication. Given that the whole war has been in a balance for quite some time, it only takes a few dominoes to fall before the whole façade crumbles. For all his good intentions, I blame Elon for extending this war needlessly.

Apologies for the misattribution. I guess when @SO16 took up the mantle of arguing for that, I fudged that up on a reply.

It would seem that a miltary (like the Ukraine) would have at least "rudimentary electronic communication" even if supplied by allied nations. Not sure that's evidence that otherwise they would have been overwhelmingly defeated, as implied in the "long ago: phrase...

But, as it's a hypothetical, I respect it's your opinion as an observer, rather than insider.

Last edited: