Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink IPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a quick look at the ARKX prospectus. Seemed to me like it assumes the fund will only invest in public companies. So, no SpaceX, which for me means I'm not interested.

Agree with you. If no SpaceX, I would not be interested either.

Following is a line in the SEC filing
"Under normal circumstances, substantially all of the Fund’s assets will be invested in equity securities, including common stocks, partnership interests, business trust shares and other equity investments or ownership interests in business enterprises."

Would SpaceX fall in any of the later categories such as 'partnership interests, business trust shares and other equity investments or ownership interests'? To me this seems broad enough that SpaceX could be included.

• Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak and mongo
Starlink is an existential threat to authoritarian regimes. The free spread of ideas through an uncensored internet is a greater threat to them than anything they have ever faced.

Starlink will never be authorized in:
Russia
China
Venezuela
North Korea
Iran
Cuba
(add your favorite authoritarian regime here)

Generally agree, yes (maybe not "never" on all of those)...and there's further complication beyond just the hard no from places like DPKR and China. Simply working around the regulatory hurdles of providing space based service from various nation states can be very time intensive. Beyond low level things like individuals in the authority chain trying to get (extort) their piece of the pie, things like lawful intercept get complicated. Plenty of countries demand that all traffic passes through an in-state ground station, etc...

Generally agree, yes (maybe not "never" on all of those)...and there's further complication beyond just the hard no from places like DPKR and China. Simply working around the regulatory hurdles of providing space based service from various nation states can be very time intensive. Beyond low level things like individuals in the authority chain trying to get (extort) their piece of the pie, things like lawful intercept get complicated. Plenty of countries demand that all traffic passes through an in-state ground station, etc...
in-state ground stations should be a trivial solve, as long as they're willing to do so. Until inter-sat links are a thing, this would happen most of the time anyways ... so it's mostly a case of forcing the routing for a given list of user terminals to a given list of ground stations. I actually think we'd see China allowing starlink in this way before we see Russia (since China isn't really doesn't have the ego problem with their space program vs SpaceX like Russia does)

in-state ground stations should be a trivial solve, as long as they're willing to do so.

From an infrastructure standpoint, yeah, its a non issue. Its more a local government roadblock. Extortion runs deep, and it depends on how much SpaceX wants to play ball or ignore, especially with the smaller countries that don't necessarily need an in-state ground station(s) to support constellation geometry/coverage. For better or worse, back to a long standing point of mine, maybe it doesn't matter much as many of those players are countries with populations generally unable to afford Starlink...

I actually think we'd see China allowing starlink in this way before we see Russia (since China isn't really doesn't have the ego problem with their space program vs SpaceX like Russia does)

Its hard to imagine either buying into Starlink, I'd actually see it the other way, though in either case it depends on how much SpaceX wants to cave to demands of the respective governments. Russia has no illusion of launching an internet constellation, but China has two in the works.

From an infrastructure standpoint, yeah, its a non issue. Its more a local government roadblock. Extortion runs deep, and it depends on how much SpaceX wants to play ball or ignore, especially with the smaller countries that don't necessarily need an in-state ground station(s) to support constellation geometry/coverage. For better or worse, back to a long standing point of mine, maybe it doesn't matter much as many of those players are countries with populations generally unable to afford Starlink...
As long as they're geolocking the terminals I wouldn't be surprised if they subsidize the hell out of it for lower income countries - as long as they can eventually pay off the UT costs and whatever overhead is required per customer, making some money from the area is better than none. Might have to wait on UT costs to come way down with mass production though, as well as inter-satellite links (so they don't have to drop ground stations in middle of nowhere). Otherwise every time a satellite passes over that region it's "losing money" (really, just failing to make 100% utilization of potential income streams).
Its hard to imagine either buying into Starlink, I'd actually see it the other way, though in either case it depends on how much SpaceX wants to cave to demands of the respective governments. Russia has no illusion of launching an internet constellation, but China has two in the works.
Russia, or at least Roscosmos, wants to launch their own. It may never get funded, but they've been making noise about it lately, and naturally how superior it will be in every way - they're really embracing the stereotype of russia/soviet PR with it, as Roscosmos often does. If SpaceX gets allowed in Russia it will because Roscosmos has flopped with their own (either never funded, or it's a technical or otherwise failure). China might allow it as long as they play by Chinese ISP rules just as a means of lighting a fire under their own industries' asses (see: Tesla's favorable dealings in China, the first of their kind).

Reactions: Cosmacelf
As long as they're geolocking the terminals I wouldn't be surprised if they subsidize the hell out of it for lower income countries - as long as they can eventually pay off the UT costs and whatever overhead is required per customer, making some money from the area is better than none. Might have to wait on UT costs to come way down with mass production though, as well as inter-satellite links (so they don't have to drop ground stations in middle of nowhere).

Its not the price of the UT, its the price of the service and the corollary user equipment (like a computer). Sub saharan Africa is a good example, where few users are going to ever have direct Starlink service since, for the foreseeable future at least, individual users are almost all on mobiles. So far more likely is local MNOs doing the starlnk-on-a-cell-tower thing which, while providing Starlink revenue through more stable and higher value commercial service agreements, will also necessarily result in a fraction of the total contracts.

Yes, the countries may do the subsidizing of those MNO towers, but you can guarantee SpaceX will not be doing that level of subsidies. Unlike a theoretical service from Amazon or Facebook which have incentive to subsidize because of adjacent revenue vehicles, Starlink has to make all the monies of monthly service fees...with the explicit goal of making enough monies to go to Mars.

Otherwise every time a satellite passes over that region it's "losing money" (really, just failing to make 100% utilization of potential income streams).

That's not really how a constellation works. Only over the densest user areas will satellites be operating "at 100%". Over less dense user areas, cumulative service demand will be a fraction of total constellation capacity because the satellites (and in general, the constellation) will be sized for the higher density areas. For every ~90 min orbit, a Starlink sat will really only be near service capacity for maybe 5-10 minutes. Another 5-20 minutes will be some degree of service (and, lucky for those folks, pretty awesome service), and the rest of the time is really just solar harvesting with occasional EP burns for maintenance and/or COLA.

That said, and this hasn't occurred to me before (perhaps it has to others), ISL backhaul of otherwise non-starlink traffic could be a potential revenue stream, especially across low traffic 'virtual arteries'. There's probably not a lot of traffic between South Africa and Australia for instance, but by and large the few hundred sats between South Africa and Australia aren't going to be doing much of anything anyway...

Russia, or at least Roscosmos, wants to launch their own. It may never get funded, but they've been making noise about it lately, and naturally how superior it will be in every way - they're really embracing the stereotype of russia/soviet PR with it, as Roscosmos often does.

There's very little noise on Sphere or anything else coming out of Russia recently, but happy for links all the same. Most of the noise I've seen lately is "we'e going to fine you if you use Starlink in Russia"...which as an aside is kind of stupid because Starlink isn't going to broadcast into Russia if its not approved to do so in the first place.

FYI you can get two way satellite internet in Russia now via legacy operators, including western operators (Asiasat, Eutelsat, SES), and also two way western services from Iridium and Globalstar. There are a number of non-Russian satellites broadcasting into and receiving from Russian and former soviet territories. Obviously not Starlink quality, but precedent nonetheless.

Certainly, far more likely is Russia would approve the Chinese service and not Starlink, but that's assuming one of the Chinese constellations actually makes it...

A few days ago my internet provider, Spectrum, informed me that they were doubling my internet speed at no additional charge. Feeling the pressure maybe? If so it worked because with the equipment costs for Starlink plus the monthly fee it wouldn't make any sense for me to switch.

Reactions: goinfraftw
upload_2021-2-9_8-58-52.png

So basically, pre-IPO investment.

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-9_8-58-24.png
    upload_2021-2-9_8-58-24.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 51
"It appears that Elon Musk’s Starlink satellite constellation is not just aiming to provide high-speed internet service. Based on recent filings to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Starlink also plans to introduce a suite of related products to its portfolio, from a dedicated phone service, emergency backup for voice calls, and more affordable internet access for low-income customers through the US government’s Lifeline program. "

Elon Musk’s Starlink filings show plans for phone service and low-income web access

Has Elon said in the past that Tesla shareholders will get IPO preference? I will be buying IPO unless it’s crazy pricey

He has said he would give retail first crack at it. Honestly, the main reason I have a Starlink dish coming to my home in two days [yay] is to hopefully get access to pre IPO shares.

Sorry, I meant the notion that buying a terminal would grant access to pre-ipo shares. Just curious because I hadn't seen that idea floated before.

Never was mentioned or implied. I'm basing this on the following.

1. When selling the OG Roadster there was an option to purchase shares in TSLA, maybe he'll use the same approach.
2. Not sure how else he would isolate or reach out to retail buyers in a fair way other than offering it first to current users/beta users.
3. The above is an excuse to get the dish. :)

Never was mentioned or implied. I'm basing this on the following.

1. When selling the OG Roadster there was an option to purchase shares in TSLA, maybe he'll use the same approach.
2. Not sure how else he would isolate or reach out to retail buyers in a fair way other than offering it first to current users/beta users.
3. The above is an excuse to get the dish. :)
Gotcha. I didn't know about the OG Roadster thing. Thanks for laying out your thinking!

Elon tweeted they have to be able to predict cash flows before IPO so not yet. He has also tweeted a negative view of SPACs so probably just regular IPO.

This is probably a large step in the right direction for predictable cash flows:

“We were subsidizing terminals but we’ve been iterating on our terminal production so much that we’re no longer subsidizing terminals, which is a good place to be,” Jonathan Hofeller, SpaceX vice president of Starlink and commercial sales, said during a panel at the World Satellite Business Week conference.