Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink IPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I understand public ETFs cannot hold non-public assets because they need to be priced based on the basket of stocks they own and private stocks have no value so impossible to price.

I could be wrong. But I think this was the reason Cathie wanted to create an alternative investment vehicle (something like an ETF but not an ETF) to allow the average investor to get access to private companies.

Disclosure: I haven't yet read the fund's SEC filing.... Will do it later today.

https://sec.report/Document/0001104659-21-003837/
thank you for the link, though much is mind numbing legalese
however
--------snip-----------
The Fund will not invest more than ==> 30% <== of its total assets in securities issued by a single company, fund or of short-term financial products of such company.

The Fund will not invest in more than 20% of the total number of outstanding shares issued by a single company or fund.
----------snip-----------------

Reactions: Buckminster
As far as I understand public ETFs cannot hold non-public assets because they need to be priced based on the basket of stocks they own and private stocks have no value so impossible to price.

I could be wrong. But I think this was the reason Cathie wanted to create an alternative investment vehicle (something like an ETF but not an ETF) to allow the average investor to get access to private companies.

Disclosure: I haven't yet read the fund's SEC filing.... Will do it later today.

https://sec.report/Document/0001104659-21-003837/

Baron mutual funds like BPTRX own SpaceX along with other publicly traded companies.

TSLA.. or NKLA.. not sure one of the two. I think the one that has actually delivered a car to a customer.

I took a quick look at the ARKX prospectus. Seemed to me like it assumes the fund will only invest in public companies. So, no SpaceX, which for me means I'm not interested.
Personally I'm holding all Chamath Palihapitaya's SPAC funds hoping and praying that one of theme will merge with SpaceX and/or Starlink. It's a prayer I know, but seems the most likely of the unlikely and easily accessible scenarios.

Personally I'm holding all Chamath Palihapitaya's SPAC funds hoping and praying that one of theme will merge with SpaceX and/or Starlink. It's a prayer I know, but seems the most likely of the unlikely and easily accessible scenarios.
Which are remaining? I'm holding IPOE now and did well with IPOB in the past.

I took a quick look at the ARKX prospectus. Seemed to me like it assumes the fund will only invest in public companies. So, no SpaceX, which for me means I'm not interested.
Unless that Starlink IPO is coming online...

Honestly this fund would seem like a strange move by ARK if they can't invest in the biggest space based company.

• Informative
Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
Which are remaining? I'm holding IPOE now and did well with IPOB in the past.

Unless that Starlink IPO is coming online...

Honestly this fund would seem like a strange move by ARK if they can't invest in the biggest space based company.

Agreed, but thinking out of the box, how could they do it?

Baron funds and SpaceX.

Is it just an ETF thing? If so, wonder why ARKX isn't just a mutual fund?

Agreed, but thinking out of the box, how could they do it?

Baron funds and SpaceX.

Is it just an ETF thing? If so, wonder why ARKX isn't just a mutual fund?

Yes, it is an ETF thing. ETFs must own liquid assets that have daily price discovery. As to why use an ETF as a vehicle, I believe they end up charging less fees (regulatory reasons? I have no idea), so they can be more investor friendly. When ARK started out, their funds were pretty small. So being an ETF, with low fees, was an attractive differentiator. It has worked well for ARK and ARK investors combined.

• Informative
Reactions: Nocturnal
Yes, it is an ETF thing. ETFs must own liquid assets that have daily price discovery. As to why use an ETF as a vehicle, I believe they end up charging less fees (regulatory reasons? I have no idea), so they can be more investor friendly. When ARK started out, their funds were pretty small. So being an ETF, with low fees, was an attractive differentiator. It has worked well for ARK and ARK investors combined.

A Space ETF without SpaceX would be like an EV ETF without Tesla?

Being serious.

I agree. But as you can tell from watching SPCE, there is plenty of appetite for space investing, so ARKX might do well anyways.

Surely Elon would cut Cathie Wood in a funding round if she desires.

She can one up Baron's 3%-4% BPTRX holding percentage easily.

Well worth the inconveniences of a mutual fund product versus an ETF for that kind of exposure.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Surely Elon would cut Cathie Wood in a funding round if she desires.

She can one up Baron's 3%-4% BPTRX holding percentage easily.

Well worth the inconveniences of a mutual fund product versus an ETF for that kind of exposure.

I have no idea if it’s possible but the demand is there. Even if you have the cash to go private equity it’s still hard to invest in SpaceX. I was able to get some recently but not as much as I wanted.

Reactions: MXWing