Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A hybrid approach with SpaceX integrating Swarm tech (which they acquired) into the Starlink sattelites. Swarm (or other communication protocol) for phone links, Starlink for backhaul. With continuous sat improvements and launches, it's feasible to mix in any LEO signaling system (eventually).
I don't think the VHF frequencies that Swarm uses are adaptable for voice or low latency data because of the frequency sharing rules in that band. But it does seem possible that Tesla, for instance, could use Swarm for SOS service worldwide. VHF frequencies are ideal for that. And of course, Swarm might be on the lookout for other lesser-used frequencies to add more real-time bandwidth.

Swarm's management team is well aligned with SpaceX's way of doing business and goals with Starlink. So the acquisition is probably related to SpaceX looking toward the future leaders of the company.

Last edited:
Starkink didn't work out for me - difficult to get an unobstructed line of sight, and even when it was good although the download speed was excellent, the ping too slow. Guess I'm not the right demographic for it anyway as I live in a capital city, already had a decent VDSL connection, but I was hoping to move to Starlink as I dislike the national telco

Anyway, I cancelled the service, initially Starlink support said to keep the dishy - of what use is that to me though? I told them I realised I wouldn't get a refund, but would like to send it back anyway, maybe they can gift it to a good cause, so they created an RMA and sent me DHL return label

What surprised me is that it goes all the way back to Hawthorne, from EU, I would have thought they'd setup local hubs for this

Starkink didn't work out for me - difficult to get an unobstructed line of sight, and even when it was good although the download speed was excellent, the ping too slow. Guess I'm not the right demographic for it anyway as I live in a capital city, already had a decent VDSL connection, but I was hoping to move to Starlink as I dislike the national telco

Anyway, I cancelled the service, initially Starlink support said to keep the dishy - of what use is that to me though? I told them I realised I wouldn't get a refund, but would like to send it back anyway, maybe they can gift it to a good cause, so they created an RMA and sent me DHL return label

What surprised me is that it goes all the way back to Hawthorne, from EU, I would have thought they'd setup local hubs for this
That was very thoughtful of you.

According to the court, the recent Starlink ruling negated a decision by Arcep, France’s telecoms regulator, back in February 2021. Arcep had granted Starlink two bands of frequencies that would link the company’s satellite constellation to France-based customers.

• Informative
Reactions: replicant
"Hawaiian said the service will allow passengers to stream content or play online games with people on the ground without having to go through registration pages or payment portals. The airline did not indicate plans to offer the service on flights between islands in Hawaii."

Reactions: AZRI11
It is magnificent

a0864aa6-aa6f-4f12-8886-04ffac79fdd4.jpg

"A private yacht captain based in the Caribbean told Rest of World that he started using Starlink last year because the price was so much lower than the up to $6,000 per month he had paid for commercial internet on the open sea. “If [Musk] starts selling it to commercial airlines, boats, trucks, and buses, he is going to make a lot of money,” the captain told Rest of World. “His plans are likely much bigger than helping Ukraine and people in remote locations.”"

• Informative
Reactions: riverFox