Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT: Order Starlink right now if you want it. Orders will be fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis sometime in 2021. Have your cc ready.

Starlink

Now please continue with the Tesla buying Bitcoin discussion.
If i have fiber to the house why would i get this?
upload_2021-2-8_16-52-59.png

If i have fiber to the house why would i get this? View attachment 635118
I have google fiber, which is great. I ordered Starlink as investment research. If I had anything except for google I'd cancel it but I will keep both.

I just got the email as well.... now if only the fiber trucks were not literally working their way down my street... $100mo for 1Gb/1Gb service.

Stinks though it states it will only work at the service address. Really wanted to bring it camping. I am selling all of my TSLA shares, this is ridiculous.
Sounds like a great test. Perhaps they only guarantee service at a fix address?

Reactions: 22522
Yeah, I suspect that since it is still a beta that they want reliable statistics form predictable locations.

Found this though about the obvious future of the system: " Mobility options - including moving your Starlink to different service addresses (or places that don't even have addresses!) - is coming once we are able to increase our coverage by launching more satellites & rolling out new software. "

OT: Order Starlink right now if you want it. Orders will be fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis sometime in 2021. Have your cc ready.

Starlink

Now please continue with the Tesla buying Bitcoin discussion.

Thanks for the heads up. Ordered though I have no need (just got 500/500 Mbit fiber installed) but just like @MXWing I see this purely as investment research. Also, maybe it's even better than my fiber line???

FWIW I also placed a Starlink order soon as I saw it was possible.

In my case I actually need it.

The "best" internet I can get here is 8Mb DSL. And only by paying business line rates do I get it without data caps. Folks a little further down the road can't get more than 3.

Something like half the US population doesn't have real access to broadband (if you use real data not the garbage the FCC has been spitting out in recent years)

It’s time for a new approach for mapping broadband data to better serve Americans - Microsoft On the Issues

If i have fiber to the house why would i get this? View attachment 635118

Investment research as there is a big money flow here and it competes with fixed wireless 5G that T-Mobile is rolling out.

Also, since it is non-geosynchronous, the satellite you pay for will intrinsically subsidize rural customers.

At least I believe it is non-geosynchronous as they wanted to lower the orbit.

Starlink is going to be huge. Every boat, RV, or house in the middle of no where will want to have it. With communication linked, next thing Elon could build is floating cities powered by solar and battery. You don't need to buy a private island.. just build one from ground up... I mean ocean up!

If you live in NoCA with PG&E and the frequent Public Safety Power Shutoffs (at every possible wildfire or storm), then you experience outages with your ISP. Mine is Comcast. The Gigabit speed is great when up, but when down, I am dead in the water with no internet access (...very bad cell coverage at my home, where I use WiFi calling). Even though I have Powerwalls, the Comcast network relies on hubs and nodes that need power. If my neighborhood is under a PSPS, then Comcast goers down in a couple of hours. Oh, and I do have Xfinity/Comcast video and VoIP phone lines.

So I got HughesNet satellite internet as a backup. Sort of like the restaurant where 'not only is the food bad, but the portions are small'. Slow service (like 25 Megs down), bandwidth cap (like 5 Gig per month), and pricey (like$80/month). So I can't wait to tear the big ugly HughesNet dish off of my roof and use Starlink as a real backup.

Reactions: Rarity