Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to feel like Cybertruck is going the way of the Roadster: Vaporware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've supercharged once, and it was just to try it out. Much more expensive than home electricity. No thanks!

If I do a big trip, I can see supercharging being useful of course, but I'd rather drive 5.5 hours with ICE and a 5 minute fill up than take 7 hours because of a couple of longer charges.
If you're only driving 5.5 hours and spend 1.5 hours charging, you're doing something very wrong.

I had a reservation for the Ford lightening. I'm In Canada. I recently was told that I could now put money down and make it an order. They couldn't tell me how long the wait would be. Maybe a year was there guess. The price was too high for me. I think it was $80k Canadian for the mid trim truck. I declined and they gave me my $100 back.
I figure that the Tesla charging network is a large part of the value of a Tesla. It's hard to put a number on but let's say the charging network adds %20 to the value of a Tesla. So I'm my mind, the Ford would have to be an equal truck to the Cybertruck, and be %20 less because of the lack of a charging network. Of course I don't know what the price will be for the Cybertruck, but I'm thinking it will be similar in price or maybe a bit cheaper than the Ford. So to me, the Cybertruck is the better value.

Didn't Tesla just open up their entire charging network, to ALL EVs?

I assume you have to pay to charge in a Tesla or otherwise? Seems like a wash.

I LOVE the CT, however I think the Roadster 2.0 is the smart move just because there is no competition, the customer's will pay a price that results in high profitability, it's slippery so range will be great plus trailers aren't in the equation, etc...

There is zero chance the CT will be sold at $40K and frankly I suspect the base model will run $65K+.

Sure the truck market is huge, but it's going to be divided up 5 ways by the time Tesla arrives. Just a lot going against them..

One other thing, I'm sick of seeing the same 3 colors on every Tesla. It was fine when there were few of them but now that they are on every corner it's cheap looking.

In that vein, the CT might begin to look very monotone when they are common and every single one is stainless steel in color. Hopefully wraps are plentiful and affordable for them.

Reactions: JBT66 and Hank42
If you're only driving 5.5 hours and spend 1.5 hours charging, you're doing something very wrong.
How slow do you drive?

I figure the MY is good for 200 miles of range from full at 70-90mph, accelerating and slowing down to get around slower traffic and not get caught in speed traps, AC blasting the whole time. Then charge for 45 minutes or so to get to 80%. Then drive on for another 160 miles or so. Charge for 45 minutes. Then drive until I arrive at the destination. ~420 miles.

Now I could maybe go 65mph from full charge and make it in only one 45-minute charge 280 miles in. Or I could turn off AC and sweat like a pig the whole time.

This is why I don't think EV fast charging matters, and range only matters with around 500 miles of real world range, which nothing has. I can just get there faster with ICE.

Confirmed.
w4OGai5.jpg

Reactions: Suns_PSD and house9
These are Tesla models Tesla does not want to produce. There is only one assembly line for Model X and zero for Cybertruck. All energy is on producing as many Model Y's as possible and bringing down the price. That is Tesla's golden child. Everything else is a loss leader. The truth hurts :(
Bringing down the price? 😅 I think you mean bringing down the internal cost. The price is only going in one direction & it isnt down...

How slow do you drive?

I figure the MY is good for 200 miles of range from full at 70-90mph, accelerating and slowing down to get around slower traffic and not get caught in speed traps, AC blasting the whole time. Then charge for 45 minutes or so to get to 80%. Then drive on for another 160 miles or so. Charge for 45 minutes. Then drive until I arrive at the destination. ~420 miles.

Now I could maybe go 65mph from full charge and make it in only one 45-minute charge 280 miles in. Or I could turn off AC and sweat like a pig the whole time.

This is why I don't think EV fast charging matters, and range only matters with around 500 miles of real world range, which nothing has. I can just get there faster with ICE.
I'll never confess my speed in writing, however, I definitely don't drive slowly. I do charge fast.
I don't stick around after the charge rate slows down below about 70 KW. I hit the road again. Better to splash and dash that sit around slowly sipping electrons.
I have a long range Model 3 so I may get a little better efficiency than your Y but I've rarely spent 45 minutes charging unless I was eating a meal.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz and Hank42
I'll never confess my speed in writing, however, I definitely don't drive slowly. I do charge fast.
I don't stick around after the charge rate slows down below about 70 KW. I hit the road again. Better to splash and dash that sit around slowly sipping electrons.
I have a long range Model 3 so I may get a little better efficiency than your Y but I've rarely spent 45 minutes charging unless I was eating a meal.
The more people charging at a supercharger, the slower the charge. I figure 50kw is about as fast as I'll get. Average charge speeds on even the fasted L3 chargers are far lower than what carmakers claim. And the splash and dash method is what? 30 minutes? One extra 15 minute stop? Keep the charge between 0 and 100 miles and stop often for 15 minute charges? That sounds awful.

For long range driving, hydrogen really is the answer.

How slow do you drive?

I think you might be driving up hill both ways. I just took my wife's MY Performance on a 500 mile trip (250 miles each way) doing 75 with the a/c at 69-70 (air temp between 87-95). I made it there and back and only needed to charge once, for 50 minutes. But that was at dinner, so I didn't actually lose any time.

The more people charging at a supercharger, the slower the charge. I figure 50kw is about as fast as I'll get. Average charge speeds on even the fasted L3 chargers are far lower than what carmakers claim. And the splash and dash method is what? 30 minutes? One extra 15 minute stop? Keep the charge between 0 and 100 miles and stop often for 15 minute charges? That sounds awful.

For long range driving, hydrogen really is the answer.
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. However, my charging stops tend to be between 20 and 30 minutes long unless I'm grabbing a bite to eat. Usually, by the time I've used the facilities and possibly grabbed a snack, I'm not waiting long. When I eat, I try to find place near a Supercharger and I'll charge for as long as I feel like eating. It just means I'll be able to go farther than the splash and dash would have gotten me.
By the time I'm down to 50 KW, I'm unplugging my car to head down the road. How fast do automakers claim cars will charge? I regular charge at over 1000 mph when the car is low on charge. The attached was last weekend:

IMG_3158.PNG

It tapers of fairly fast but it certainly gets a lot of range in that short time. This will only get better and happen for longer as batteries improve and they get cheaper so you can afford bigger ones.
One can really get places if you push it - just like with an ICE, or you can take it easy and enjoy the scenery. I once drove across the country in 3 days. I left the Tidewater area in eastern Virginia early in the morning, then arrived in time for a 5:00 pm meeting near LAX in Los Angeles 3 days later. That was before Arkansas was covered in Superchargers so I even had to detour almost to Dallas. There were no V3 Superchargers then either.
Good luck doing that with Hydrogen.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
I charged at a local supercharger at maybe 40% charge. I think it maxed out at 75 kwh. I was not impressed with the speed of charging, not even slightly. Gas, however, moves at about 6000 miles of range per hour.
And this is why I think the supercharger network is a marketing tool more than it is a meaningful use. And this is why, should I take another car trip, it won't be in the MY or any other EV I own.

Have fun sitting in your car and watching youtube?
I've never watched a video in my car in over 120K miles (except for one SpaceX launch, where I made a stop at a convenient CHAdeMO and topped off while watching because I was there when it happened. I figured I might as well make the stop useful). I've only sat in it while charging once or twice, when it was extremely cold outside - but had other things I needed to do anyway.
How often have you bought gas?

I had a reservation for the Ford lightening. I'm In Canada. I recently was told that I could now put money down and make it an order. They couldn't tell me how long the wait would be. Maybe a year was there guess. The price was too high for me. I think it was $80k Canadian for the mid trim truck. I declined and they gave me my $100 back.
I figure that the Tesla charging network is a large part of the value of a Tesla. It's hard to put a number on but let's say the charging network adds %20 to the value of a Tesla. So I'm my mind, the Ford would have to be an equal truck to the Cybertruck, and be %20 less because of the lack of a charging network. Of course I don't know what the price will be for the Cybertruck, but I'm thinking it will be similar in price or maybe a bit cheaper than the Ford. So to me, the Cybertruck is the better value.
Lightning.

I charged at a local supercharger at maybe 40% charge. I think it maxed out at 75 kwh. I was not impressed with the speed of charging, not even slightly. Gas, however, moves at about 6000 miles of range per hour.
And this is why I think the supercharger network is a marketing tool more than it is a meaningful use. And this is why, should I take another car trip, it won't be in the MY or any other EV I own.
If you charged at a local Supercharger, you're not going to get good rates.

If you charged at a local Supercharger, you're not going to get good rates.
Not to be pedantic, but the way you phrased that makes it sound like Tesla charges a higher rate at SuperChargers for local owners than owners who are passing thru. I understand Tesla charges different rates at different locations depending upon the electric utility but I believe the rate at any one SuperCharger is the same for all owners, no?