Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to get expensive to charge….

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that was a 'must have' when I went looking for a car.

It's actually something of a unicorn car....2001 facelift features (3.2 ltr engine, 6 speed box, perforated leather interior, improved traction controletc etc,) but with the pop-up lights (another 'must have' for me).
My other car is a Prius - used to be the tagline for celebrities on their Ferraris or their luxury limos. How times have changed! But still 3.2l and all not very good for the environment- though I am not part of any groups.

My heart goes to anyone who is trapped in a flexible cap and unable to find a cheap tariff. The situation is clearly not going improve in 2023.
Those of us who have the benefit of cheap night rates for the present also have an uncertain prospect when their tariffs end.
Those of us who have solar at least have some respite. Getting solar has a waiting list to rival the NHS.
These are indeed difficult times!

2020 M3 LR Blue/White. FSD, 11Kw PV, 49Mw lifetime gen. 2 PW2’s + backup gateway, 2 Zappi V1’s, Eddi, Outlander PHEV & 2 eBikes for slo-mo fun. Peugeot e-Rifter on order
Octopus referral code available for your kind consideration

These are indeed difficult times!
Im not being funny but this makes me laugh as I said this recently 🤣

The other day I went to my brother in-laws and he was moaning of his £1000 a month electric bills and there is me thinking... £1.5 million house, custom built defender, Jaguar Ipace, GT3 RS for fun and the rest..... I said, yes mate....these are difficult times🤷‍♂️🧐

Sounds like an excellent plan to me. Old Japanese car values are only going one way for nice examples of desirable models like your 200sxView attachment 890167

This sits in my garage for hi-days and holidays and if I had to choose it certainly wouldn't be the M3 that'd be staying. (The old Honda is a darned sight cheaper to own into the bargain).

Coming back on-topic.....another vote for solar panels - for 7-8 months of the year they make a huge difference.

Our 4kwh system was installed 7 years ago with a decent FiT rate. It paid for itself within ~4.5 years, so everything generated and used is free electricity....and the government also give us ~£900/year through the FiT.
Wonderful. Sold mine in 2005 after my first was born. Had put 89,000 miles on M896BMB. Gearbox about to blow and traded in for £14k. What a silly move.
310032CC-2977-4109-A139-04E1DEBC6D52.jpeg

Reactions: SR-Plus
Wonderful. Sold mine in 2005 after my first was born. Had put 89,000 miles on M896BMB. Gearbox about to blow and traded in for £14k. What a silly move. View attachment 890613
£14k.....wow!!

Excellent work putting nearly 90,000 miles on the car though. They take the miles well - there are cars in th US on original engines and gearbox which have covered over half-a-million miles. Can't be many Ferrari's which have done this.

Reactions: candida
£14k.....wow!!

Excellent work putting nearly 90,000 miles on the car though. They take the miles well - there are cars in th US on original engines and gearbox which have covered over half-a-million miles. Can't be many Ferrari's which have done this.
New gearbox was £15k….
Had a new baby, another on the way… sigh.

run the car or to scrap it

Not understanding why the option is to scrap it, rather than sell it on? All the ICE vehicles will move down the ownership chain ... until no longer roadworthy.

I had a fire breeding dragon when I bought an MS in 2015. Never drove it after that, not once. It was noisy (in a nice way :) ) and great fun but very impractical (so not quite like yours!), the MS different fun - straight line rather than tail-alongside, but I liked that the MS was quick and also very practical - space for loads of luggage / cargo and 5 adults ... whereas the Toy was only good for one passenger and maybe a toothbrush for "luggage"

We kept a "Backup" ICE for a while (until primary EV increased from 240 to 300 miles motorway range). and then the people-carrier ICE for a while (for cargo - an EV with tow-hitch replaced that) but basically we moved on all our ICE as soon as we could. We are EV-only now - including mowers and strimmers / hedge trimmers etc.

But for an ICE toy that only does a 1,000 or so miles a year I doubt it makes any odds if kept or moved on.

Not understanding why the option is to scrap it, rather than sell it on? All the ICE vehicles will move down the ownership chain ... until no longer roadworthy.
They don’t though. Until total vehicle registration numbers start dropping then they aren’t all being taken off the road.

Empirically, what seems to happen is that smaller vehicles get replaced with bigger less road/environmentally friendly vehicles or the bigger/perceived more luxurious ones just become and extra car in a household.

So we actually end up with a growing average fleet size.

we actually end up with a growing average fleet size

But presumably number of miles driven doesn't increase as a consequence, thus an increasing portion of miles-driven is taken up by EVs. Increasing carbon-tax (fuel-duty / whatever) will push more drive-miles from ICE to EV. My Range Rover driving mates are complaining about it already - I have no idea why they don't just buy an EV for the school run ...

Personally I would subsidise the highest mileage drivers ... whereas luxury tax has meant that high mileage drivers, who ergo need a large battery, don't choose to afford it.