Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to regret my purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyway, on Maui you do have Mobile Service. Enjoy your car when it comes.:D
Are you talking about a tech that goes to your house? We have one for the island, and anything he cant fix Tesla will pay to have my car shipped back to Oahu to get fixed but :/ Lets hope it doesnt come to that

You should not have to cross your fingers when you buy a $50,000 car.

I am heavily researching buying a Tesla. It seems like there are a very high percentage of problems with the new Model 3s. That is based largely on anecdotal evidence, but also based upon things like the Consumer Reports rating, and next move cancelling an order of 100 vehicles after getting 15 of them.

I also understand that a cars will have problems. But the problem with Tesla is that the service centers are so jammed right now, and many won't even pick up the phone. This is a major problem if you are one of the owners who is unlucky
Yeah you're right, but I know a family that has an X, S, and 3 and they've all had problems. They havent had to pay anything for it but its still an inconvenience. They sold all of their boutique cars and have never regretted getting the Tesla's. The X had cosmetic issues, fixed in just under two weeks. The S took a ridiculous amount of time since they got that very early into production. The 3 went back for a panel fix and it took 3 days.

My only concern is that if I have any of these problems, I have to get the car shipped back to Oahu.

That was precisely my point. They are not niggles but they are treated by Tesla Service as such, with the expectation that the customer is sufficiently ignorant to not know better or otherwise with their attitude and actions they attempt to bully the customer into dropping the requests and walk away with unresolved issues.

Well, after half a year of continuous quality and Service catastrophes, during which time I observed and tested a lot of other similar vehicles (and took mine apart myself on a couple of occasions) only to find the same issues on almost every one of them, yes, I fully expect a bunch of things to fall apart, sometimes right from the start.

I made no comment about “those that say their cars are fantastic”, because they actually are fantastic. My comments pointed out that the “fantastic” part may obscure the “crap quality” part and some tolerate that better than others.

Again, I don’t consider Teslas to be crap at all, but I do believe some of them, especially the Model 3, to be of crap quality.

As for “my agenda”, that should be bloody obvious by now: I’m a Texas shill, paid by Big Oil to hang here and bash Tesla. After enough bashing, I took my Big Oil earnings, bought a Tesla and proceeded to the Service Center where I naively presumed they serviced Teslas. I turns out I was incorrect, that’s where they tell you that you’re full of *sugar* and that your expectation that the door be able to close properly is unrealistic with Tesla. So I went back to bashing on behalf of Big Oil. With yet more earnings from this activity, together with the money Tesla gave me back when they saw my stack of documentation, I proceeded to follow my anti-EV bias and bought an e-Tron, which I was planning to drive until enough heretics like me manage to annoy Tesla to the point where they’ll make and sell me a car that works properly and is actually serviceable. Shady stuff, I know!
Amazing response.

Reactions: Petrocelli
I have been driving a Mercedes for 21 years, and am considering a Model 3. Stories like this scare the hell out of me.
Until today I would have said "Buy a Tesla, you'll never regret it". Today I got a repair bill for my 2015 Model S - $3400.00. Replacing front subframe and some other parts, found problems when they could not get the car into spec trying to align it. I didn't wreck the car nor hit any large potholes. 69k miles. I have to say, if you can wait a few years, maybe Tesla will get better, or VW or somebody else will have a quality vehicle out. Personally I love that VW microbus EV prototype I've seen. If they start selling them I may ditch the S.

I have been driving a Mercedes for 21 years, and am considering a Model 3. Stories like this scare the hell out of me.
Same here. With Merc I had some set of issues, but not related to build, but software. Easily fixed. I have ordered M3-LR-AWD and its been weeks with no communication from Tesla (they act like smug now), every day getting more concerned as i read issues. May cancel my order soon if no delivery or more such sad posts. Starting to regret my decision, why I jumped on this Tesla craze.

I had a new leased company car every two years. Personal pleasure cars some leases some purchased during the same period.
And my wife has always had some sort of sports car or high end sedan.
All over a period of 50 yrs.
In all that time American Swedish English Japanese or German every car has had issues.
Some at delivery some in the first year and a few problems that were never solved and transferred to the next owner.

All that said my p3d even with minor fit and finish issues has Been the best car ever. I’ll see if I feel the same way by the time it’s paid off but so far the honeymoon is far from over.

Reactions: jebinc
For those who are interested:
A YT comment from Nextmove about their cancelled 100 Model 3 purchase and the issues they had with the cars and with Tesla.
It´s in german but has english subtitles.

I think the most striking question I heard in that video was "does Tesla even care about us?"...That`s kind of the quintessence of all negative service experience reports I´ve seen so far.

Same here. With Merc I had some set of issues, but not related to build, but software. Easily fixed. I have ordered M3-LR-AWD and its been weeks with no communication from Tesla (they act like smug now), every day getting more concerned as i read issues. May cancel my order soon if no delivery or more such sad posts. Starting to regret my decision, why I jumped on this Tesla craze.

Advice: Cancel the Tesla, and go to your Mercedes dealer and tell them you are thinking of getting a Tesla. They will wheel and deal for your business.

I just got a C300 Coupe (NOT the sedan) for $615 a month, and $2400 down. This price includes the first 3 services.

• Informative
Reactions: super20g
I think switching from Mercedes to Tesla Model 3 will be a tough transition for many long time Mercedes owners who have grown accustomed to the Mercedes customer experience. The Mercedes build quality, features and service experience is just too good...particularly for lease customers who won't be dealing with post-warranty, niggling parts failures.

We sold a 2013 BMW 528i to switch to the Model 3. The BMW's AC condenser had recently failed (at only 6 years old), and the engine mounts needed replacing, so we pulled the plug on the 528i. We had owned BMW cars consistently since 1997, so we had become intimately familiar with the repair timeline. Still, it was not easy to give up the BMW driving experience...but we both admitted it had changed for the worse since the mid 2000s.

My wife misses some BMW amenities that are lacking on the Model 3, but she's enjoying the Tesla.

I enjoy driving the Model 3 much more than I did the 528i. I have to admit, though, that I would prefer the more traditional controls, and the more comfortable seats of the Model S, but the Model S costs more than we're willing to pay at this particular point in Tesla's evolution.

Last edited:
Reactions: super20g
the Mercedes customer experience.

I have a few colleagues at work that are long Mercedes customers they are using some very strong words towards Mercedes' dealerships and customer experience. Saying that today you could be treated better at Hondas or Chevys.

It looks like every kid here in the Toronto area is driving Mercedes or BMW now...

Meanwhile, I am pretty surprised to read all those horrible stories about Tesla's customer service. Our experience from the first test drive until delivery was very good. Could not complain of anything yet.

A YT comment from Nextmove about their cancelled 100 Model 3 purchase and the issues they had with the cars and with Tesla.

I think the most striking question I heard in that video was "does Tesla even care about us?"...That`s kind of the quintessence of all negative service experience reports I´ve seen so far.

This video contains the most unbiased examination of the Model 3 and Tesla's customer service. Everyone should watch it before buying a Model 3.

This video contains the most unbiased examination of the Model 3 and Tesla's customer service. Everyone should watch it before buying a Model 3.
Now that you've made your decision to lease a Mercedes, it seems you are still grappling with your decision and finding it necessary to come up with reasons to validate your decision.

Wouldn't it be a relief to let it go and simply enjoy your new car?

Now that you've made your decision to lease a Mercedes, it seems you are still grappling with your decision and finding it necessary to come up with reasons to validate your decision.

Wouldn't it be a relief to let it go and simply enjoy your new car?

I have spent dozens of hours studying Tesla. I find it to be a fascinating company. Just killing time during lunch.

Good video - yes it is clear they don't care. I'm so tired of getting updates that give me more games to play (I didn't buy an Xbox I bought a car) and BREAK essential items - like the latest update made my usb drives not usable and also doesn't allow me to use SENTRY MODE (eg sentry mode cannot be activated with voice control and can only be turned on permanently or not at all). What are they thinking?

Reactions: Petrocelli