Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State Inspection in NH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking of using Electrified Garage in Seabrook, but they don't do inspections for some reason.

In Milford, NH, I've used a little shop called Briand's Auto Repair at 116 Elm Street. Used them for the last 3 years. Quick, easy in and out. $40. They at least knew how to get in and drive the Tesla into the garage. Very Friendly.

Hey, how has your experience been with them for Model 3? Are they aware of the proper lifting points/procedure or should I print out the instructions to take along?

Not sure about lifting as they never lifted mine (I would bring the 4 hockey pucks just in case), but they know how to put a Tesla in tow mode as they've been doing roadside assistance for Tesla for a while.

I rolled into my local Valvoline Instant Oil Change this year and they had me in and out in like 5 minutes.
Update - Jan 2024 my local Valvoline Instant Oil Change was not willing to perform a State Inspection without me bringing along pucks to put it on the lift. This process is so silly.

I will check my local Tire Shop or VIP to see if they will do it and likely will have to be some super inconvenient time because that is how it goes for this kind of thing

Update - Jan 2024 my local Valvoline Instant Oil Change was not willing to perform a State Inspection without me bringing along pucks to put it on the lift. This process is so silly.

I will check my local Tire Shop or VIP to see if they will do it and likely will have to be some super inconvenient time because that is how it goes for this kind of thing
Roughly where are you? I've used Duncan's in Londonderry and Wilson Tire in Lebanon, both with good results. Wilson will do while you wait, but you need to get there early; there's always a line before they open at the start/end of the month.

Roughly where are you? I've used Duncan's in Londonderry and Wilson Tire in Lebanon, both with good results. Wilson will do while you wait, but you need to get there early; there's always a line before they open at the start/end of the month.
Lakes Region. I might just call Duncan's and be done with it. Seriously, this is the most annoying thing about owning a Tesla.

Don't ever get you Safety inspection at a location called Wilson Tires and Auto Service in Lebanon, NH. They are very incompetent with inspecting EVs in general. They'll say stuff is broken because they don't know it works in different ways. A big example is the door handle for the Model S. It extends out, but, if it doesn't extend out, you just tap it lightly and the door will pop open without having to extend the handle.

Tried explaining to these incompetent folks that you don't need to have it extend out. But, they didn't listen. Now, it's logged into the DMW database as failed because of the door handles. I had the inspection done in prior years and it was no problem. It's only at this place that says it is.

The sheer number of incompetent inspection places in the Upper Valley NH is a problem. I won't even go to the other problems this place have. DCFC stations for EV are so few up here. Why!? The stupidity of "mostly reitrees living here", "EVs not the future"....etc....That's BS! I won't dwell on that conversation. The point is, stay away from Wilson Tires and Auto Service in Lebanon, NH if you have a Tesla or any other EVs.

Lakes Region. I might just call Duncan's and be done with it. Seriously, this is the most annoying thing about owning a Tesla.
Wilson has a location in Plymouth, but I've only used Lebanon. I don't know anything about the other locations or if they are Tesla-aware; there are lots of Teslas in and around the Upper Valley.

Don't ever get you Safety inspection at a location called Wilson Tires and Auto Service in Lebanon, NH. They are very incompetent with inspecting EVs in general. They'll say stuff is broken because they don't know it works in different ways. A big example is the door handle for the Model S. It extends out, but, if it doesn't extend out, you just tap it lightly and the door will pop open without having to extend the handle.

Tried explaining to these incompetent folks that you don't need to have it extend out. But, they didn't listen. Now, it's logged into the DMW database as failed because of the door handles. I had the inspection done in prior years and it was no problem. It's only at this place that says it is.

The sheer number of incompetent inspection places in the Upper Valley NH is a problem. I won't even go to the other problems this place have. DCFC stations for EV are so few up here. Why!? The stupidity of "mostly reitrees living here", "EVs not the future"....etc....That's BS! I won't dwell on that conversation. The point is, stay away from Wilson Tires and Auto Service in Lebanon, NH if you have a Tesla or any other EVs.
Interesting. This is the exact opposite of my experience with them. They were very familiar with the S. Knew all about jack points, putting the air suspension in jack mode, etc.

Wilson has a location in Plymouth, but I've only used Lebanon. I don't know anything about the other locations or if they are Tesla-aware; there are lots of Teslas in and around the Upper Valley.

Interesting. This is the exact opposite of my experience with them. They were very familiar with the S. Knew all about jack points, putting the air suspension in jack mode, etc.
They marked the handle as doesn't work. It doesn't need to extend out for it to work. I clearly showed them, but, they will not listen or remove that from their report. Because they logged it into the database, I cannot go and get a 2nd opinion. I need to fix it. I agree the suspension needs fixing, but, the door handle works as it should.

The doors will pop open if it doesn't extend out. And, the user manual clearly indicates that too! It shouldn't be a problem. In prior years, I had the car inspected in other places. All passed and didn't have problems with the handle not extending out. I call them out as incompetent since they fail to think reasonably and will not respect a customer claim.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    933.2 KB · Views: 14
There's a lot of illogical stuff in NH state inspections. For instance, the laws state any factory-installed lights must work and be in good condition, even optional ones not required by DOT (fogs, truck cab-mounted markers, etc). I had an Audi that was failed for a cracked foglight lens. My truck has cab-mounted marker lights. The middle 3 are a single unit and work intermittently, but it will fail inspection if they are out. My mechanic knows they are troublesome and won't inspect it unless they are working.

My old Mini Cooper had a set of aftermarket PIAA driving lights. I was failed for "too many front aux lights", but if they were the factory original ones, I would have been fine. I could either remove them or cover them up to pass. I removed them for the first inspection, then printed some snap-on covers to pass subsequent inspections.