Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Status of Transfer-ability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the current ability (or lack thereof) of owners to transfer enhanced autopilot and/or “full self-driving”? I’ve read conflicting reports but most seem to indicate it is not possible without transferring your entire Tesla account. If this is true, wtf?!? How do you deal with account transfer if you also have solar? If you close not to transfer does your add-on transfer to any other Tesla you buy? Just same model? Or is it lost?

Reactions: jiehan
You cannot transfer EAP/FSD to a new car. When has anyone been able to transfer any car features from an old car to a new one? Why are people having such a meltdown over this issue? Get the advanced technology package on the latest Toyota and then tell them to transfer the features to your new base model you just bought.

• Disagree
Reactions: Misterbee
Upvote 0
What is the current ability (or lack thereof) of owners to transfer enhanced autopilot and/or “full self-driving”? I’ve read conflicting reports but most seem to indicate it is not possible without transferring your entire Tesla account. If this is true, wtf?!? How do you deal with account transfer if you also have solar? If you close not to transfer does your add-on transfer to any other Tesla you buy? Just same model? Or is it lost?

What do you mean by "Transfer"?

if you mean "Sell my vehicle with it", EAP or FSD will stay with your car, if your car was purchased with those items, if you sell it to a private party. There really isnt any ambiguity with that scenario.

Ambiguity comes from BUYING such a car, from a dealer, and wondering if the FSD / EAP you see on the vehicle will stay there. If you bought the same car from the owner of the vehicle, and they are the one who bought it from tesla (with EAP or FSD) then it stays there.

If by "transfer" you mean from one car you own, to another car you own, that isnt possible.

Reactions: clydeiii
Upvote 0
Of course I mean transfer to the new owner of the car. How is this at all ambiguous? The only reason I mentioned retaining ownership of the feature is if this is the only option available. When I sell my Tesla I’m likely done with Tesla as a brand save for selling my house with paid off solar.

Upvote 0
Good info, thanks! So this lack of transfer-ability only applies to unlimited supercharging? See screen shot below from recent eBay listing of a similar vehicle.

Attachments

• EB5C01E6-58B5-45DA-A24A-B02457286514.png
    EB5C01E6-58B5-45DA-A24A-B02457286514.png
    236.2 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0
Good info, thanks! So this lack of transfer-ability only applies to unlimited supercharging? See screen shot below from recent eBay listing of a similar vehicle.
Yes. The transfer of “Free unlimited supercharging” included with an older model is a completely different issue. Not that the general public should know all these details that many on these forums do, but your post is confusing because it’s conflating a number of issues/features/situations and therefore hard to answer definitively without more details.

In case you care to understand: your post title sounds to many of us like what many have complained about not being able to transfer FSD Capability package or EAP on a Tesla we own to a new Tesla we buy now. That’s the question @Dewg was answering.

Then there’s also the issue of private party sales of Teslas with FSD Capability package or EAP. If ownership ever passes through Tesla (like some at used car dealerships), then FSD Capability package or EAP is usually stripped/removed when a new owner transfers to their Tesla account (i.e. - takes ownership). If sold directly and never passes through Tesla (i.e. - ownership account switches directly from seller that had FSD Capability package to buyer of said Tesla), then the software package isn’t stripped/removed. That’s the question @jjrandorin was answering.

The whole mention of Tesla solar was very confusing to me (and probably others). But with more context you added later it’s more understandable why you’re bringing that up (and no you don’t want to give someone your Tesla account because yes they would own whatever other products are on that account, or maybe there’s the complicated workaround if just one car and solar that you could transfer ownership of the solar to a newly created account and then give the buyer your old Tesla account? But seems risky and not advised).

Then you brought up free unlimited supercharging which is a completely unrelated situation in regards to transferability.

Upvote 0
Yes. The transfer of “Free unlimited supercharging” included with an older model is a completely different issue. Not that the general public should know all these details that many on these forums do, but your post is confusing because it’s conflating a number of issues/features/situations and therefore hard to answer definitively without more details.

In case you care to understand: your post title sounds to many of us like what many have complained about not being able to transfer FSD Capability package or EAP on a Tesla we own to a new Tesla we buy now. That’s the question @Dewg was answering.

Then there’s also the issue of private party sales of Teslas with FSD Capability package or EAP. If ownership ever passes through Tesla (like some at used car dealerships), then FSD Capability package or EAP is usually stripped/removed when a new owner transfers to their Tesla account (i.e. - takes ownership). If sold directly and never passes through Tesla (i.e. - ownership account switches directly from seller that had FSD Capability package to buyer of said Tesla), then the software package isn’t stripped/removed. That’s the question @jjrandorin was answering.

The whole mention of Tesla solar was very confusing to me (and probably others). But with more context you added later it’s more understandable why you’re bringing that up (and no you don’t want to give someone your Tesla account because yes they would own whatever other products are on that account, or maybe there’s the complicated workaround if just one car and solar that you could transfer ownership of the solar to a newly created account and then give the buyer your old Tesla account? But seems risky and not advised).

Then you brought up free unlimited supercharging which is a completely unrelated situation in regards to transferability.
Your third paragraph answered my question, thank you for taking the time to write a detailed reply!

Upvote 0

Yes, that only applies to unlimited supercharging and has no bearing at all on the transfer of Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, or Full Self Driving as a vehicle option.

Upvote 0
Ok, so what about enhanced autopilot and full self driving? Because the crux of my question was transferring these two options to a new owner at the time of vehicle sale. Is this only straightforward in the case of person-to-person? What about a trade-in? Is full account transfer required or is this an easy thing? Because full account transfer will be a problem due to solar.

The mod’s previous answer indicates there are no issues transferring either of these but I’d like a second opinion since perhaps the original question was not clear.

Upvote 0
If you are selling to an individual, no problem whatsoever with those staying with the car. If you are selling to a third party dealership, it will also stay with the car. If you trade it in to tesla it will be removed, but since you are stating you are done with tesla, that isnt a concern it sounds like.

Reactions: Misterbee
Upvote 0
You cannot transfer EAP/FSD to a new car. When has anyone been able to transfer any car features from an old car to a new one? Why are people having such a meltdown over this issue? Get the advanced technology package on the latest Toyota and then tell them to transfer the features to your new base model you just bought.
If I bought a toyota tech package that said "You'll have this fancy feature by the end of the year!" and the life of the car (for me) expires after like 5 years and no feature has been delivered - You bet I'm gonna be (and kind of am) honked off and ask for a license transfer

Its not gonna happen obviously / sigh

Reactions: sjg98 and DanCar
Upvote 0
Of course I mean transfer to the new owner of the car. How is this at all ambiguous? The only reason I mentioned retaining ownership of the feature is if this is the only option available. When I sell my Tesla I’m likely done with Tesla as a brand save for selling my house with paid off solar.
Because most questions here featuring the keywords "FSD" and "transfer" are about transferring FSD from one car to another, not from one owner to another.

Reactions: NoLtrBeater
Upvote 0
I guess it makes sense to think of transferring from one vehicle to another you own if you view FSD as a sort of add-on like a radar detector that can just be unplugged and moved from one vehicle to another. I had never thought of it like that until now. I always assumed it was and should be linked to the car, more like the chassis than a radar detector. And therefore it should move with the sale of the car. Based on posts above, it seems this is indeed the case except for if you were to sell to Tesla. It also makes sense that Tesla would strip add-ons from the car before resale so that they can hopefully sell these same add-ons again for the same car to a different owner.

Upvote 0