Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stealth Performance Now Available!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one knows. But likely they will never actually display 322 miles. Even the 2020s don't display 322 miles yet (not that it matters at all, necessarily) - they seem to display 314 miles instead...(odd). Assuming a software upgrade comes out for the 2020s that actually updates them to 322 miles, then we'll have a better idea of whether they are going to mess around with older vehicles. (They may well improve efficiency on older vehicles, but that doesn't mean any of these displayed numbers have to change.)

Pretty sure I've reported to you in another thread that I think Tesla has figured out how to limit the drive train losses between AWD vs RWD variants where the only negative is the additional weight of the 2nd motor which does not impact range linearly. I've definitely noticed around a 5% increase in efficiency in my vehicle.

Pretty sure I've reported to you in another thread that I think Tesla has figured out how to limit the drive train losses between AWD vs RWD variants where the only negative is the additional weight of the 2nd motor which does not impact range linearly. I've definitely noticed around a 5% increase in efficiency in my vehicle.

Yeah, I think it's likely that to the extent they can apply improvements they will. But the display isn't going to change on the older vehicles. I haven't noticed any efficiency change in my vehicle, but it would be pretty hard (impossible) for me to tell.

Note the efficiency of RWD vehicles seems to have improved somewhat as well so it's not just the AWD drivetrain loss limiting that is at play. Seems to be a combination of improvements (as would be expected).

It's a little confusing here, so I went to the Tesla site and looked at prices. Stealth performance is 145MPH top speed and 322 miles. My stealth (del. 12/19 - a 2020), has a range of 310 (279 mi @90% SOC). Performance with extras is 162MPH top speed and 299 miles.

Well I can attest to the fact that as stealth does not charge to 322 miles - even though Tesla advertises it this way.

As far as Track mode goes - my stealth already has track mode. Is Tesla going to take it away? I don't care, but lots of other people will.

A stealth now only comes with Aero wheels. When I got mine last quarter, some of the stealths had 19" wheels.

A stealth (P3D-) or full performance (p3D+) costs $56,990 (before fees) whether you get the extras or not. My stealth cost me $51,990 (before fees) - or the cost of a LR AWD plus $2,000. So a stealth is now $5,000 more than it was last quarter?! Did a P3D+ cost $56,990 last quarter??

Seems strange to me to not charge more for the brakes and wheels/tires that you get on the performance with extras. The spoiler and pedals are not that expensive to begin with. I personally wanted the stealth as it is now advertised. For $5000 more than I just paid? Maybe - maybe not.

Perhaps the November "dump" of stealths was an experiment to see how strong the demand was for them. This is all so weird!!!

Tesla just does these things without any explanation or sense as to why they do them.

Reactions: petergy
The other thing I found interesting on the Model Y performance option is that the Carbon Fiber spoiler remains on the car regardless of the performance option being chosen. Not sure if that's web UI issue or a real thing lol.

Seems to be real as it's not in the Performance upgrade list either. It's not going to be as stealthy!

Last edited:
Well I can attest to the fact that as stealth does not charge to 322 miles - even though Tesla advertises it this way.

Yeah, that's weird, yours probably goes to 314. We'll see whether that changes with the next software update. I feel that it should, but who knows. Presumably the vehicles that do ship in 2020 to the US will show 322 at 100%. Keep an eye on that charging constant!

As far as Track mode goes - my stealth already has track mode. Is Tesla going to take it away?

No.

So a stealth is now $5,000 more than it was last quarter?!

Yes. It's a terrible deal.

Did a P3D+ cost $56,990 last quarter??

Yes.

Maybe its a subtle way for Tesla to say "stop bugging me", and if you are going to make me go out of my way to put together this custom package, well then you are going to have to make it worth my time.

Wonder if people chasing down stealth models was tracked down as a huge inefficiency in quarterly/yearly reviews. Or something SA's constantly complained about.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Yeah, that's weird, yours probably goes to 314. We'll see whether that changes with the next software update. I feel that it should, but who knows.

No.

Yes. It's a terrible deal.

Yes.
It charges routinely to 279 at 90%. Never one mile higher.

I did make a mistake. My stealth was red. It would cost $58,990 now. But then again, the cost of the car has been lowered by $1000 since then. It's all confusing.

At least they make the stealth on the menu. I wanted a stealth the way it was. I wanted 18" wheels. But for $58,990 plus fees and tax? Yeah I can afford that, but I don't know if I'd pay that.

I'd say this looks like a mistake but it's the same for the Model Y.

Yeah that's what I thought at first too, but now thinking the same thing...with the Model Y setup looking very similar...

Guess Tesla is going to see how many people they can get to to pay these prices and then will adjust accordingly. Based on @GigaGrunt's other posts about RWD, it sounds like they might be front motor limited rather than battery limited, so maybe that somehow plays in here too. Who knows.

I seriously doubt the top speed will be 145 and no track mode, because if it is. your basically paying 8 grand more then the awd long range to take the 0-60 from 4.4 to 3.2 that would really be the only difference..

or a awd with 2k boost. So it would be 6k to go from 3.5 to 3.2 0-60.

Would Be worth it if they gave you full self drive instead then it would be worth the price instead of the upgrade hardware.... at least to people who want full self drive

Last edited:
Don't all the LR AWD variants with 980 rear motors rate at 310? I thought it only was 322 for the newer AWD with 990 rear motors.

EPA for the 3P with 18" is 332 voluntarily derated to 322. Data is here. True efficiency is about 3.6% better than the AWD in Tesla's test.

One of these days I'll post the original spreadsheet but there are some things I want to figure out first.

basically paying 8 grand more then the awd long range to take the 0-60 from 4.4 to 3.2 that would really be the only difference..

Yeah it's terrible. Guess they really don't want to sell any! People are just going to buy the 3P+ and suck up the small extra cost for a set of efficient 18" wheels/tires if they really want the range (and can't see that being a big deal for most). Really too bad Tesla does not make a set of 18" wheels which fit the aero covers and the brakes.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: phantasms
EPA for the 3P with 18" is 332 voluntarily derated to 322. Data is here.

One of these days I'll post the original spreadsheet but there are some things I want to figure out first.

Well, my stealth is a 11-19 build - and never goes beyond 310 (279 at 90%). It's a stealth alright - the VIN confirms it as does the console page.

I can't vouch for the top speed as I never have gone close to 145 MPH!

I cannot floor that car in any situation with other cars around. It's too damn fast. Where (other than a track) can you open the throttle on a car with a 0-60 of 3.2 sec?

The best value now seems to be the AWD and boost. Even then, I bet it is hard to floor the car and stay alive and unhurt!

My guess is that it’s a mistake. Surprised no one else has thought it

The spoiler, brakes, bigger tires etc are all listed as free optional components. If its a mistake then the price of performance is a mistake, its not like they made two separate entries one stealth and one standard performance. Seems like a weird mistake to make, to list stuff that costs a few grand as free optional.There would have to be mistakes on several levels, firs the price of the base Performance would have to be a mistake, then listing all those extra components as free optional would have to be a mistake.

I think that they want to make it worth it for them to make these non standard stealth ones. They probably hear from SA's non stop about people requesting them, heck lots of reviewers expressed they wished performance could be bought with standard wheels. So they saw it as a potential source of revenue.

Isnt stealh basically a LR AWD with a software change?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
My guess is that it’s a mistake. Surprised no one else has thought it

They have. I did at first but coming around to the idea that it's a money grab. Not like they need to sell a lot of Model 3s - they're ramping Model Y!

As with everything Tesla they'll probably move the prices around until they get the product mix they want.

Performance Stealth available in configurator!