Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steam integration for Model S built after Feb 2022 only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 21 refresh with 8GB of RAM. After submitting a service request, I received a different type of response from others where they stated they are working on an upgrade for it which will be able to be requested from the mobile app.

Thank you for reaching out to us about this. We would be happy to look into this for you.

Upon reviewing your vehicle configuration I see that your vehicle hardware does not have the 16 GB Infotainment RAM required to run Steam at this time. You can can check whether or not their car is equipped with 16 GB of infotainment RAM by going to Controls > Software > Additional Vehicle Information.

We are working diligently to create the upgrade required for your vehicle to be compatible with this feature and once that is available you should be able to see it through the "Upgrades" Menu on your mobile app.

*Please note that you also need to have an active subscription to our Premium connectivity package.

Has anybody had any positive experiences playing steam games yet?

I accepted delivery of my MS Plaid on Jan 31 2022, and it has the 16GB RAM.

Got the steam update, and tried installing Rocket League. Took ages to download it from steam (WAY longer than my normal computer does), and took 30-60 mins to actually start the game the first time (spent mostly doing something with processing shaders, whatever that means). But then the game just immediately kicks you out after the loading screen (video of what happens:
)

I haven't tried any other games yet, but this isn't a good first impression. Has anybody got any steam games working yet? which ones?

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: aerodyne and jebinc

Got the steam update, and tried installing Rocket League. Took ages to download it from steam (WAY longer than my normal computer does), and took 30-60 mins to actually start the game the first time (spent mostly doing something with processing shaders, whatever that means). But then the game just immediately kicks you out after the loading screen (video of what happens:
)

I haven't tried any other games yet, but this isn't a good first impression. Has anybody got any steam games working yet? which ones?
Perhaps the $350 1 tb drive available in February is tweaked / required to make things smoother…
Or not…

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and Evee
I’m so pumped to pay 2k for my car to have something I thought it had all along but didn’t and I’m so loving long load times and the fact it’s actually an emulated steam deck. Yep. I’m still doing it. I think we all might just be a little crazy. Idk what else to say.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and B@ndit

)

Yep mine works great. Check out my page,

For those having issues getting games to work, switch the game to proton (experimental).

Game settings (not overall steam settings), compatibility, force (something, can’t remember), then proton(experimental)

Sorry for the vague instructions, I’m on vacation and the car is parked at the airport, but this got all my games working, even older titles. The experience isn’t often great as mouse and keyboard isn’t well translated, but it works.

Counter Strike GO works OK, got Witcher to work slightly with much effort and and after switching to a mode for "Older PC's"

Function buttons work on the Sony Dual Sense controller sporadically, important ones like you need to fight or select a target.

Load times are very long. Anything over 70gb won't load, so you have to uninstall Witcher to run something else.

May, 2022 S here. Just played around with Steam for the first time, on 2022.44.30.5.

Some good things:

1.) Steam! In your car!
2.) Steam!!!!
3.) It's clearly gotten a lot of help from the Steam Deck, so in general if it works on the Deck, it'll work in the car, albeit with more power. It's interesting that frame-rate killers are similar between the car and the Steam Deck, e.g. Ys III - the lens flare graphics option dips frame-rates well below 60, - both on the Deck and on the much more powerful S setup.

And the bad things:

1.) Input latency is really not great. Either using my Series X controller via adapter or via a PS5 controller via direct BT, it's not ideal, probably in the ~75ms region. It's really noticeable compared to Steam Deck. You're not going to be playing competitively in the car, so don't think about it.
2.) I've noticed the car is no longer sleeping since this update. Hopefully that is resolved soon with a further update.
3.) You can't adjust screen brightness or anything when in Steam. You have to fully quit the whole game and Steam app to make any changes.

Overall, so far, it's a good start. Input latency is, though, the biggest disappointment.

@jebinc @Muzzman1

And the bad things:

2.) I've noticed the car is no longer sleeping since this update. Hopefully that is resolved soon with a further update.

So, I'm not the only one....I have noticed it's not with all Steam games, and can be fixed with a reboot.

And the bad things:

So, I'm not the only one....I have noticed it's not with all Steam games, and can be fixed with a reboot.
Oh, you, too? I did reboot the car, but then had opened Steam up again and messed around in there, and then it didn’t sleep again. I just rebooted the car again, and left it - not touching Steam etc, so hopefully it will sleep now. That means I’ll want to reboot the car any time I’ve used Steam, until this is fixed. Sigh.

First things first for me - let’s hope the car goes to sleep now! Just waiting…

Attachments

• 7E0F3E26-408D-4C7A-A69F-8782F560117B.jpeg
    7E0F3E26-408D-4C7A-A69F-8782F560117B.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 435
Reactions: aerodyne