Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

steering, a little odd!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're taking it back to the same SC that couldn't find any problem, and DIDN'T correct the problem the 1st and 2nd time? It seems to me that you're wasting their, and your, time.

I find it hard to believe that there isn't a better FEA shop in a city the size of Toronto.

• Helpful
Reactions: TinkyWinks
HAHA! I just picked up my MY this morning, and wow, the steering is very different than the demos I drove, or any car I've driven before. I guess I prefer a bit of "dead on center" neutrality when going straight ahead. With this car, the slightest touch on the steering wheel makes it deviate from a straight line. It's like a go cart.

The good news is that the car tracks perfectly straight, so after a few miles, I was able to adjust to the sensitive input.

I'm not sure if an alignment would help, as I'm not sure exactly what I'd ask the tech to change.

Any thoughts????

HAHA! I just picked up my MY this morning, and wow, the steering is very different than the demos I drove, or any car I've driven before. I guess I prefer a bit of "dead on center" neutrality when going straight ahead. With this car, the slightest touch on the steering wheel makes it deviate from a straight line. It's like a go cart.

The good news is that the car tracks perfectly straight, so after a few miles, I was able to adjust to the sensitive input.

I'm not sure if an alignment would help, as I'm not sure exactly what I'd ask the tech to change.

Any thoughts????
What steering mode are you using? Comfort, Standard or Sport?

Tried them all, no difference in feel.
The issue is not steering weight, its front end response or lack of. I can go as far as saying that the front end feels like floating, sometimes; car steers without moving the steering wheel ....other times tracks perfect on the road, different times the slightest touch of the steering wheel sends the car way off either direction. This is what I meant when I said I feel like I am always fighting with the steering wheel to keep the car between the lines. Even on auto steer, you can see or feel the steering wheel moves ever slightly right and left continously.
Like the above said, resembles a go cart, in a bad way!!!

Okay, after 200+ miles, DFW urban and rural, I've gotten quite comfortable with my steering situation. Incredibly quick and sensitive to input, but it tracks so perfectly straight that I can drive for miles with my hands lightly on the steering wheel that it requires zero effort to keep it straight. Road imperfections don't cause any instability, either.
I'm not sure if our situations are similar at all!!!

I don't have anything like what you're describing.

>4000 miles with and lots of highway and spirited driving and it's been super easy. I use autopilot almost every time I drive as well.

The issue is not steering weight, its front end response or lack of. I can go as far as saying that the front end feels like floating, sometimes; car steers without moving the steering wheel ....other times tracks perfect on the road, different times the slightest touch of the steering wheel sends the car way off either direction. This is what I meant when I said I feel like I am always fighting with the steering wheel to keep the car between the lines. Even on auto steer, you can see or feel the steering wheel moves ever slightly right and left continously.

Ever since I got my MY, I feel the steering is a bit odd!
1. I feel the steering wheel very sensitive.
2. I find myself needing to continously adjust the steering wheel to stay in the center of the road
3. Steering wheel does nit return to neutral (center position)

Not a severe condition but since it is steering, I thought I ask around; anyone experiencing these symptoms or others with their MY steering?
By the way, I also own a MX and the steering there has none of these issues.
Same here; they could not find anything, planning to ask them to check for alignment.

This is exactly what I'm feeling too. I can actually see (and feel) how the autopilot is constantly making microadjustments.

I haven't had time to take it back to the SC yet. I'll report on how that goes eventually, but I'm not holding my breath.

TinkyWinks: Did you get a computer readout of alignment Before and After???
My car, with 800 miles, goes perfectly straight, requiring zero input from me. Even road imperfections don't throw it off line,
The steering wheel is perfectly centered, as well.

Reactions: madmax240
Hope it helps: I visited SC today and asked them to check it out again. I told them exactly what I was experiencing , fatigue of driving this car on interstate made me think of selling this car (Auto Pilot was saving grace) ... Their Lead Tech and Service Mgr thought behavior is in-line with other cars but did the alignment check. Left Toe Rear was out of spec and they adjusted that. I drove back almost 100 miles and felt significant difference, I was able to hold steering with one hand while the elbow rested on middle rest point. I could not have done that earlier. I do not believe service tech would have felt/experienced the issue in one drive so trust your guts. Anyway, I am glad car is fixed.