Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Mode Setting vs AP performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While driving a P90D loaner last week, I noticed the steering feel was very tight, and definitely had a big effect on the effort it took for me to steer on tighter turns, especially at speed in HOV lanes with limited side clearance. Of course, a quick check of the settings showed it was in the performance / sport mode, and I changed it back to the standard mode to prevent my already strained arms (unrelated to the vehicle) from additional pain. This got me thinking...when in the AutoPilot mode, does the vehicle have to fight this additional resistance to the steering as a human driver would, or does AP bypass that system to provide equal performance regardless of the steering mode ? The reason being, if AP has to use additional effort for sharper turns or steering corrections, it might do a better job in the easier steering setting than in the firmer steering setting. I'm admittedly ignorant of the system design regarding AP and if it operates pre- or post steering mode adjustment.

Has anyone seen a difference in driving situations where AP performs better / disconnects less with a lighter steering setting ?

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I don't have the definite answer but an educated guess would be no... that setting does not concern AP... because all it is doing is give you less assistance when you are moving the steering wheel...

It makes no sense for the car to fight itself and even if it does... the system which steers the car is a lot stronger than you and to the point that it can break your arm... so even if it somehow does give itself more resistance to turn the wheel... it wouldn't really care