Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new owner and when I am testing out auto drive, it seems to have a very narrow range of not nagging about hand on the steering wheel to cancelling auto drive because I moved the steering wheel too much.
Is it normally so sensitive or am I not doing something right?
I understand the wheel needs to sense torque rather than a squeeze.

The torque it needs is very subtle. But make sure you are applying a light and constant force. It needs a couple of seconds of constant force to register. You'll get used to it as you gain more experience. I like to rest my hand on the bottom left or right of the wheel. The sensitivity range is not narrow my any means, it needs much more force to knock it out of autopilot. It just takes some practice!

I'll second the "practice." I drive with my left elbow on the top of the door with my hand on the steering wheel (it's how I've always driven) and I probably average 1 nag per 1/2 hour of driving.
That’s my usual position too. I wonder if I had more problems because I was trying it out on back roads with a lot of curvy turns. I wasn’t sure if my pressure should be in the direction of the turn or to resist slightly against it. I am sure more practice will definitely help

That’s my usual position too. I wonder if I had more problems because I was trying it out on back roads with a lot of curvy turns. I wasn’t sure if my pressure should be in the direction of the turn or to resist slightly against it. I am sure more practice will definitely help
It is just going to take a little experience. I would say I was a good couple of months in before I was consistent.

I often joke that even with 1MM+ ICE miles under my belt, I've had to re-learn how to drive since getting my Tesla ;)

I’m getting into the habit of doing a quick scroll wheel cruise speed adjustment (+1, -1) instead of the wheel pressure as I haven’t gotten the hang of “light and constant force” without canceling AP.
The force doesn't need to be constant, periodic is sufficient (and I don't know what that period is :) )

Also, you wouldn't be cancelling Auto Pilot, just Auto Steer. Auto Pilot has two components: Auto Steer and TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control), The only part that gets cancelled in your scenario is the Auto Steer.

Does Sport affect the turning ratio or anything?
It seems that it just makes it artificially stiffer. I don't personally see why I would want that. If I need to make radical steering inputs in an emergency I want to be able to do it as easy as I can and with one hand if needed.

I so wish that it was squeeze or conductivity instead of steering force.

It seems soooo weird to steer the opposite direction of the corner. Plus it is training you to wait past when you would turn as a human as you supervise. I don't drive down the middle no matter what like it does, I shape the lanes outside to inside (I hope someday there is a setting that says Lane Shaping)

Also, I think it is possible to get so used to AP that one day you will think that you are on AP and forget you are in manual steering and have something bad happen.

I'm not bashing and I love it so fan boys don't get mad. I just think for Tesla to get a wider public acceptance it might need to be rethought.
That and leaving cruise on when you steer out of AP. If you brake it drops out of both why not steering? Someone gonna get in trouble. I know it caught me off guard.