Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel Retrofit - Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a steering wheel retrofit for my Model S Plaid having it shipped to the local service center. When I reach out to the service center they say they have no knowledge of the wheel and if it is even there. Tesla online ordering service will not email me back about status after a few times and a number of weeks. Service center says they can't help until they see the wheel. Anyone else had any luck with their retrofit? If so did they send it to their house or the service center? Are they even shipping yet and I need to just wait....

I ordered a steering wheel retrofit for my Model S Plaid having it shipped to the local service center. When I reach out to the service center they say they have no knowledge of the wheel and if it is even there. Tesla online ordering service will not email me back about status after a few times and a number of weeks. Service center says they can't help until they see the wheel. Anyone else had any luck with their retrofit? If so did they send it to their house or the service center? Are they even shipping yet and I need to just wait....
It will be shipped to your Tesla Service center and when they have it you can make a mobile appointment for them to install. Apparently they are out of stock and are waiting on production. Of course they also need the accompanying airbag so they may be out of stock too. Be patient and know Tesla is always very frustrating.

Better hope your firmware is above 2023.2.10 or its not getting installed, has to be 2023.2.12 to install, the mobile service tech just left with my wheel and cancelled my order out because my cars f'ing firmware is too low... total BS.
Total BS - they could push it out. My car was on the last version that supported radar. So he is full of you know what. The tech installed my wheel and then pushed out the SW to my care to enable the wheel icons. You got played! Tesla is pretty good at that now.

I got mine installed a couple of weeks back at the service center. When I first ordered it from the Tesla store, I got a paid invoice and made a hard copy of it. Lucky that I took that copy with me during the installation at the service center as they had no idea that I had already paid. It seems that the Tesla store has poor communications with their service centers.

Reactions: tommybahamaX
The steering wheel upgrade process is a joke and in retrospect I regret not just ordering an aftermarket wheel even as an interim solution. I ordered the wheel the night it became available. As soon as I paid for it, the app prompted me to make an installation appt which I did. The next day the SC sent me a message asking what service was being requested and then within about 24-hours after that unilaterally cancelled the appt saying they did not have the parts. At their recommendation I made a follow-up appointment for almost a month later. Went to that appt and when I went back at the end of the day to pick the car up they tell me the steering wheel didn't get installed because they didn't have the parts. Had the car the whole damn day...They rescheduled the appointment for a few days later and I had them change it to separate SC that gets better reviews. That appt. was subsequently changed to a later date and I requested a mobile tech for the new appt. I'm about 2-months into paying for the wheel at this point. Day before the appt, I get a message in the app that they are moving the appt right another month due to lack of parts. I blast an angry inquiry as to WTF is going on and at that point was told that the new airbag required for the wheel is apparently in short supply and that's the holdup.

None of this is coordinated. I'm coming from Audis where the dealership orders a part and the customer gets e-mails from the time the part is ordered until it shows up at the local Audi dealer, at which point a Service Advisor reaches out to schedule the appointment to have it installed or picked up. As frustrating as Audi ownership can be, it absolutely blows away Tesla's customer service, on a car that theoretically doesn't require that much maintenance, which you would think would allow them to focus more on doing sh*t right and communicating better with customers. I'm 5k miles into my ownership of this car and still trying to wrap my head around the treatment of customers who dropped (at least in my case) over $100k on a car. You used to get a certain level of treatment and quality at that price point.

The steering wheel upgrade process is a joke and in retrospect I regret not just ordering an aftermarket wheel even as an interim solution. I ordered the wheel the night it became available. As soon as I paid for it, the app prompted me to make an installation appt which I did. The next day the SC sent me a message asking what service was being requested and then within about 24-hours after that unilaterally cancelled the appt saying they did not have the parts. At their recommendation I made a follow-up appointment for almost a month later. Went to that appt and when I went back at the end of the day to pick the car up they tell me the steering wheel didn't get installed because they didn't have the parts. Had the car the whole damn day...They rescheduled the appointment for a few days later and I had them change it to separate SC that gets better reviews. That appt. was subsequently changed to a later date and I requested a mobile tech for the new appt. I'm about 2-months into paying for the wheel at this point. Day before the appt, I get a message in the app that they are moving the appt right another month due to lack of parts. I blast an angry inquiry as to WTF is going on and at that point was told that the new airbag required for the wheel is apparently in short supply and that's the holdup.

None of this is coordinated. I'm coming from Audis where the dealership orders a part and the customer gets e-mails from the time the part is ordered until it shows up at the local Audi dealer, at which point a Service Advisor reaches out to schedule the appointment to have it installed or picked up. As frustrating as Audi ownership can be, it absolutely blows away Tesla's customer service, on a car that theoretically doesn't require that much maintenance, which you would think would allow them to focus more on doing sh*t right and communicating better with customers. I'm 5k miles into my ownership of this car and still trying to wrap my head around the treatment of customers who dropped (at least in my case) over $100k on a car. You used to get a certain level of treatment and quality at that price point.
I feel your pain, in my case the wheel was ready right away, the mobile tech showed up with it in hand, couldnt get it to work because of firmware and airbag errors, made me a appointment a week later, had my car the whole day at tesla (saturday) and at 5pm (i was waiting, told it would be a hour) they said they couldnt get it to work on the firmware it was on, fast forward 7 days later, luckly they gave me a 2023 X loaner, but still, its on now but a complete clusterf... as well...

Reactions: brooklyn