Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel scroll wheels get really hot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both 'within spec'.

This is a trade-off for having the metal scroll wheels on the newer 3/Ys. Hot in summer, cold in winter.

The Center screen getting excessively hot has been an issue since 2017, some have failed (potentially as a result) and needed to be replaced, others continue to work even after years in desert and tropical climates and outdoor parking.

Not much you can do while driving into the sun or with the sun directly above.
While parked, consider a winshield sun screen, cabin overheat protection to keep the interior temps down a bit, and/or the numerous screen covers (perhaps in white) to keep some of the heat at bay.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Tinting your front windshield can also help, something I plan on doing with my next paycheck.
I also recommend a cover that goes around the border of the screen (mostly designed to block sun from the screen but should help with heat overall)
Amazon link but its black.

Haha, yeah the metal scroll wheels are soooo much nicer than the cheap rubber ones whenever the weather is moderate.
But otherwise they get damn cold! And hot!

Could be worse though. Back when I lived in Arizona my old Mini Cooper had a bare solid metal gearshift knob.

Screenshot 2021-08-12 223903.jpg

Does anyone have experience the scrolling button on the steering wheel of Model 3 2021 gets very hot and also the back of the computer?
New Model Y from Jan-23, the scroll wheels are now plastic. It’s so much more comfortable to handle these as they’re not ice cold every morning! They’re the same ball like shape, so perhaps Tesla service can replace yours.

New Model Y from Jan-23, the scroll wheels are now plastic. It’s so much more comfortable to handle these as they’re not ice cold every morning! They’re the same ball like shape, so perhaps Tesla service can replace yours.
Interesting, I have the metal ones. My last car’s steering wheel scroll wheels were more of a rubber type material and the molded in grip lines wore smooth making it a litttle difficult to roll them.

My Tesla’s metal wheels are a little cold in the winter months but the grip texture pattern will be sharp and crisp for the life of the car!

How can you tell that yours are plastic? I had a '20 M3, and the scroll wheels were black and definitely plastic.

On my 11/22 build '23 M3, they are a dark gray color but feel more like plastic to me.

I've noticed the same thing with the scroll wheels in a 2021 Model Y. I don't think the heat is from the sun. It feels like the scroll wheels are being heated from the inside. Very strange.
It's from the 'Steering Wheel Light' option. I'm pretty sure it's caused by the LED light for the little arrows next to the scroll wheel. I would like to know if the heat is normal or not.