TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Steering wheel upgrade discussion

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by feverXDteala, Dec 15, 2015.

1. feverXDteala

feverXDteala New Member

Does anyone has experience about steering wheel upgrade? If yes, please show your new modification steering wheel picture. I wanna get more idea and build one for mine. Thanks in advance. :smile:

2. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

57 Bel Air?

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I had these carbon fiber wheels made, one with black leather another with tan. The former was sold to another owner, the latter is on my car.

DSC_6127.JPG

DSC_6380.JPG

DSC_6129.JPG

DSC_6370.JPG

4. ION eDRV

ION eDRV Member

Any mods out there that do wood accent steering wheels?

5. CurrentRide

CurrentRide Member

artsci, from what I gather, you are a preeminent diy engineer. What is the story about the rear view mirror in the picture above?

6. artsci

artsci Sponsor

That's an LCD mirror the shows an overhead image of the car from the Rydeen 360 system. It uses four cameras, front and rear and two on undersides of the side view mirrors. I can turn it on and off at will. I'm not sure the Rydeen 360 is worth the expense -- the image is rather low quality. I only use it in dire situations when I need a view that the Tesla rear and front cameras don't provide, which are few are far between.

7. SUPRKAR

SUPRKAR Member

There is a company in Texas that will do a wood wheel. Craft Customs. Pretty nice work. You will be without your steering wheel for several weeks though.

8. feverXDteala

feverXDteala New Member

9. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Carbon Fiber Element in New Jersey for the first and Craft Customs in Texas for the 2nd. I had a spare steering wheel so I could drive the car whenever.

10. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

what did Craft Customs in Texas charge to produce the carbon fiber and tan leather wheel and what was the turn around time?

Is there a link/number to there website?

11. houstonian

houstonian ಠ_ಠ

@Reekdog - think their number is 214-564-1170. Interested in a wood steering wheel that retains the heated option. Sent them an email and hoping to hear back soon from them.

12. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

Thanks I'll check it out

13. houstonian

houstonian ಠ_ಠ

Just got off the phone with them - quoted $599 for wood (believe it was the same for Carbon Fiber?). They do need the steering wheel to perform the mod so unless you've got a spare one laying around...or know someone who does...there may be a logistics issue.

Estimated about a three (3) week turnaround time for a wood steering wheel and a five (5) week turnaround time for carbon fiber.

Side question: any ideas where one can snag a temporary steering wheel for a few weeks? Anyone have one just laying around?

• Informative x 1
  14. Shawn Snider

Shawn Snider Member

lol...

15. UnpluggedP

UnpluggedP Vendor

We have a number of options for custom steering wheels as well as full custom interior. We typically re-wrap the OEM steering wheels in carbon fiber and alcantara but can also do wood grain, leather or any other material of your choosing.

Unplugged-Performance-P85D-Blue-Demo-Car0051.jpg IMG_5770_BE.jpg

16. Jeff-6293

Jeff-6293 New Member

I SO hope that Tesla will provide a synthesized top-down view from the 8 cameras in the new hardware. it's just begging to be done.

Also, for built-in dash-cam functionality.

One can hope!