Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel / Yoke option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting data point on the wheel/yoke discussion. I had a mobile service appointment today for my Model S and X to have the yokes replaced. They have canceled my Model S as the airbag parts are different and they are totally out of stock.

There’s a significant demand for the retrofit that overwhelmed them and they are shipping certain parts to specific distribution centres. Some are getting Model S parts and some are getting Model X.

Reddit would have me believe that yoke is extremely popular. The reality is that they can’t keep up with the demand to have them swapped out.

Reactions: kazamm
Now how did they break this?!
IMG_3195.jpeg

Now how did they break this?!View attachment 929172
If you have FSD, why do you even need any sort of steering input device? According to Elon, all human input is error anyway. I am surprised they aren't coming out to just totally remove your yoke since FSD is so good! ;)

On a more serious note, sorry it is dragging on for so long. Hopefully they finally get it done in 2 weeks but we all know how Tesla Time can stretch out a bit...

• Funny
Reactions: 4SUPER9 and dmurphy
On a more serious note, sorry it is dragging on for so long. Hopefully they finally get it done in 2 weeks but we all know how Tesla Time can stretch out a bit...

Just spoke with the mobile tech -- who was AWESOME by the way... apparently, the issue is that the module inside the round wheel needs at least the 2023.4.x series firmware - support for it is there.

Well, FSD11 is still based on 2022.44.x... so we don't have the firmware included yet for the new steering wheel module. Which means they can swap it physically, but the buttons won't work. That's... an issue.

They expect a patch with the next FSD11 release so we'll just move the appointment.

I mean, it's not ideal but I really, really appreciate how well service has handled it. They explained what's up and got in the weeds with me -- I always appreciate that.

Not the outcome I was looking for today but really reinforces how good my local service center and mobile techs are. Good folks, all of 'em!

Not true, they did my wife's Model X running 11.6.3 a few days ago.

Well, the mobile tech and the in-house tech both advised me they had multiple issues with getting the wheel to work with the current FSD build and advised waiting for 2023.x. They were specific and said the buttons wouldn't light up or respond to input.

Maybe they had a bad unit, or maybe there's a different batch that needs updated firmware?

Not sure but I've got it handled ... one way or another.

I am the reason for that!!!!! Sorry.
I don’t believe it’s the round wheel but the fact we have FSD and retrofit wheel makes us very rare. The FSD didn’t like the wheel and would give me the timeouts without warning. Instant boot on the trip. (Red wheel) had 6 on a 200 mile trip. Another 5 in 200 miles.
I honestly think it’s a FSD mess up not the wheel. Guess the camera thinks you’re using a nag device. I kept my wheel but I am not in FSD right now.

Attachments

• 2FAE2E26-CBD9-4D61-B16B-07EDE1F1E4F8.jpeg
    2FAE2E26-CBD9-4D61-B16B-07EDE1F1E4F8.jpeg
    563.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Helpful
Reactions: dmurphy
So I presume you were Patient Zero with this issue? :)

Good news is that it looks like 2023.6.15 is out with employees now, so hopefully we'll see it soon - maybe this weekend if all goes well?
So I presume you were Patient Zero with this issue? :)

Good news is that it looks like 2023.6.15 is out with employees now, so hopefully we'll see it soon - maybe this weekend if all goes well?
still have EAP so I really don’t care. FSD sucks anyway.

I don’t believe it’s the round wheel but the fact we have FSD and retrofit wheel makes us very rare. The FSD didn’t like the wheel and would give me the timeouts without warning. Instant boot on the trip. (Red wheel) had 6 on a 200 mile trip. Another 5 in 200 miles.
I honestly think it’s a FSD mess up not the wheel. Guess the camera thinks you’re using a nag device. I kept my wheel but I am not in FSD right now.

I think this is actually a different problem than the one they were talking about. They told me the wheel they installed wouldn't light up - the buttons stayed dark and wouldn't respond. They tried pushing firmware to it and it wouldn't program... Then they did a 2023.6 (non-FSD) upgrade, and *that* firmware package applied and lit the wheel up.

So yeah, I agree -- I think there's something with the FSD firmware for sure, but sounds like 2 different problems. 1 with FSD maybe seeing the wheel and assuming a cheat device (as you suspect?), and the second is programmability. Just sounds like 2022.44.x doesn't have the right firmware package for whatever's in the round wheel.

I'm a patient guy (not really!) so I'll give this another ~2 weeks to let 2023.6.x roll out.

I think this is actually a different problem than the one they were talking about. They told me the wheel they installed wouldn't light up - the buttons stayed dark and wouldn't respond. They tried pushing firmware to it and it wouldn't program... Then they did a 2023.6 (non-FSD) upgrade, and *that* firmware package applied and lit the wheel up.

So yeah, I agree -- I think there's something with the FSD firmware for sure, but sounds like 2 different problems. 1 with FSD maybe seeing the wheel and assuming a cheat device (as you suspect?), and the second is programmability. Just sounds like 2022.44.x doesn't have the right firmware package for whatever's in the round wheel.

I'm a patient guy (not really!) so I'll give this another ~2 weeks to let 2023.6.x roll out.
Like this lol. In defense of the yoke, after having the wheel I would prefer the yoke on the highway and wheel in the city. So just drive more on the highway. Truth is they don’t have a clue why the wheel is causing the disconnect. I am being watched like a hawk. Removal of FSD has fixed the disconnect so who really knows except chat-gpt4.

Attachments

• FF1ECD83-7D3B-4347-96A6-0235B0640878.jpeg
    FF1ECD83-7D3B-4347-96A6-0235B0640878.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: dmurphy
Like this lol. In defense of the yoke, after having the wheel I would prefer the yoke on the highway and wheel in the city. So just drive more on the highway. Truth is they don’t have a clue why the wheel is causing the disconnect. I am being watched like a hawk. Removal of FSD has fixed the disconnect so who really knows except chat-gpt4.

I mean, I'm sorry you're having these issues but it's *awesome* to connect the dots! Thanks for validating everything they were saying. It's great when the system works -- even if there's a technical problem, great to know the tech community inside Tesla is active and talks.

Agreed with you on yoke/round. I do like the yoke for straight-and-level flying driving, but the awkwardness of local driving is so bad, it outweighs the good. Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it (nothing!)

2023.6.x can't get here fast enough .... problem I have -- I can't remove my FSD, since it's a permanent car feature, not the subscription model.

Reactions: Duke846