Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sticky residue from new tires. Effect balance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like this is a stupid thing to ask but I have never had this issue before. I have never had an issue with new tires before.

I got new tires yesterday and instantly noticed a very slight vibration sound. This morning I started looking at the tires and noticed that two of them had quite a bit of sticky residue on it that caked up over a patch of the tire. I'm guessing they didn't fully remove the stickers and the caked up patches are causing the light vibration sound. Should I 1. Take it back to the tire shop and have them fix the issue 2. Just drive and let the residue wear off 3. Attempt to wash off the caking with GooGone or something?

Would that residue on the tire screw with initial balancing?

Would not affect balance enough to matter. Drive on them it should come off on its own. If the vibration is still present they balanced them poorly.
I dunno... I’ve seen minuscule amounts of caked-on mud severely throw off the balance. It’s plausible if there’s a ton of crap. But ya I second this - drive around until it’s worn off and then deal with it if it’s still an issue.

I dunno... I’ve seen minuscule amounts of caked-on mud severely throw off the balance. It’s plausible if there’s a ton of crap. But ya I second this - drive around until it’s worn off and then deal with it if it’s still an issue.

If it is something other than sticker residue it is absolutely possible. For example, on my track wheels rubber from tires builds up over time on the inside barrel of the wheel and can affect balance.