Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stiffer or solid rear subframe bushings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is way too much subframe bushing deflection and the rear of the makes it feels like a pogo stick. Some side to side movement can also be felt. Those with both coilovers and aftermarket control arms likely feel even more of what I just mentioned above. Anyone with a solution?

What suspension mods do you have on the car currently including mount and bushing upgrades?

With 100% stock suspension I certainly know what you mean here. I'm asking what mods you have because if I still feel the rear end bouncing around after adding my coilovers, I'll be interested in this too...

What suspension mods do you have on the car currently including mount and bushing upgrades?

With 100% stock suspension I certainly know what you mean here. I'm asking what mods you have because if I still feel the rear end bouncing around after adding my coilovers, I'll be interested in this too...
MCS 2WNR with Swift springs, spherical top hats, articulating rear height adjusters, MPP front lower control arm bearings.

I can move the rear subframe without much effort using a foot and a half long pry bar. Just imagine what the spring can do!

The subframe movement/bushing deflection can't be damped by the dampers no matter the damping setting. It's not a very confident inspiring feeling in mid corner bumps.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
@MountainPass Curious if maybe the MPP control arm bushing inserts would work on the subframe bushings, or maybe a similar design? Looks like from photos online, the rear subframe hydro bushings also have a slot cut out in them like the control arm bushings do. Those little inserts stiffened up the control arms quite a bit, and I thought they were just going to be a gimmick.

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 8.56.00 AM.png

@MountainPass Curious if maybe the MPP control arm bushing inserts would work on the subframe bushings, or maybe a similar design? Looks like from photos online, the rear subframe hydro bushings also have a slot cut out in them like the control arm bushings do. Those little inserts stiffened up the control arms quite a bit, and I thought they were just going to be a gimmick.

View attachment 730352
Inserts will likely be a good upgrade for most applications short of a serious street or track car.

Other vehicle platforms with less than ideal subframe bushings have easy insert solutions. Urethane would work. We don't need to over-priced MPP inserts.

Inserts will likely be a good upgrade for most applications short of a serious street or track car.

Other vehicle platforms with less than ideal subframe bushings have easy insert solutions. Urethane would work. We don't need to over-priced MPP inserts.

If you know that the inserts are insufficient, maybe you could reach out to Whiteline and have them design and produce a set of poly bushings for you? But, if you think that some CNC'd inserts are overpriced, wait until you see how much having a new style bushing manufactured ends up costing.

Reactions: Lindenwood
If you know that the inserts are insufficient, maybe you could reach out to Whiteline and have them design and produce a set of poly bushings for you? But, if you think that some CNC'd inserts are overpriced, wait until you see how much having a new style bushing manufactured ends up costing.

Likely less than $200 for urethane and less than $300 for solid alum.

Likely less than $200 for urethane and less than $300 for solid alum.
After you find someone that's already developed them. Issue with you complaining about those inserts is that they had to spend money for somebody to design those and then see and see them and they have to recoup their costs. Even if they're only using $50 worth of materials in manufacturing on the parts, they probably invested at least a few thousand having them designed. Which is the same situation you would be in since there are no poly bushings made right now is you're going to be the person investing a few thousand have them designed, and not just $200

Reactions: Lindenwood
After you find someone that's already developed them. Issue with you complaining about those inserts is that they had to spend money for somebody to design those and then see and see them and they have to recoup their costs. Even if they're only using $50 worth of materials in manufacturing on the parts, they probably invested at least a few thousand having them designed. Which is the same situation you would be in since there are no poly bushings made right now is you're going to be the person investing a few thousand have them designed, and not just $200
Where is the price drop? I am sure the R&D has already been recouped.

Whiteline and Powerflex don't gouge.

Where is the price drop? I am sure the R&D has already been recouped.

Whiteline and Powerflex don't gouge.

The price of a thing is usually set so as to maximize profit, unless someone is just being charitable. The inserts could cost 10 cents to make, and have taken 10 seconds to design with no upfront cost, and they would still charge the same price, unless they hate money.

Reactions: Mash and Sam1
Good find! Looks like they have a full line of Model 3 upgraded bushings and control arms for the Model 3. No prices though.
Hardrace/Megan/Truhart actually make a lot of stuff for the Model 3. I appreciate seeing some more affordable options on the market, but lots of hate for them though as cheap or untested the last time I mentioned them.

I pointed you at the manufacturer page. Look around a bit and you can find retailers for them. Those inserts are pretty new, so a bit hard to find, but I assume they'll be showing up soon in a lot more places. Probably all on a boat stuck outside Long Beach.... The aussies and europe vendors all seem to have them in stock.

Last edited: