Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still have not had an update pushed to my car (on 2019.12.1.2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I picked up my M3AWD about a week ago. It came with 2019.12.1.2 however I still have not had the option to update to any of the newer releases.

I will concede I don't have access to WIFI in my garage, however I have been driving around with it connected to my phone as a mobile hotspot in the hopes of tricking it into updating over that.

Is it normal to wait this long for an update?

Well its not that I mind waiting a week, i certainly don't expect weekly updates, however if several updates have been released since my version, shouldn't they be pushed to the car? Or does the roll out take several weeks to reach all Tesla owners?

Well its not that I mind waiting a week, i certainly don't expect weekly updates, however if several updates have been released since my version, shouldn't they be pushed to the car? Or does the roll out take several weeks to reach all Tesla owners?
I am also still on 2019.12.1.2
Over 10% of Teslafi cars are still on it.
You aren’t doing anything wrong.
Sometimes holding both buttons down and resetting the system helps instigate an update.

Don’t Panic!

From what I read, 16 had a lot of problems, those multiple updates that have passed are fixing problems for people. 12.1.2 is pretty darn stable

Driving around with your car on your hotspot is likely not going to make it download an update. To answer your other question, it sometimes takes SEVERAL weeks for an update to roll out. its not like apple or phone updates, they dont update the entire fleet at once.

Not having wifi where you park is going to make you only get what tesla calls "critical" updates, and will likely push you to the end of the deployment cycle.

Finally, there are plenty of us who are still on 12.1.2 and who have wifi in the garage, no stuck updates etc. There is nothing you can currently do to "force" an update, other than taking the car to a service center and either asking them nicely to push one for your car, or telling them you have some problem (like with your rear view camera or something).

otherwise you will just have to wait. Plenty of us still are waiting with you

If you contact Tesla via chat they can check to see if a download was attempted and possibly failed, and they can tell you what the latest version your car is eligible for.

I actually did this (based on an earlier recommendation you made to this effect), via chat. The rep on chat told me, after verifying my identity and getting the vin of my car, "I dont see any failed updates or any issues with your software updates. It appears it just has not been pushed to you yet". I told the rep "Ok thanks for checking.... I was just wondering... since I am supposed to have earned priority updates as a referral reward and am now 2 versions behind".

They then gave me the line about how updates are staged etc, which I already knew.

Of course, tesla being what it is, I am not sure the chat rep actually knew what to check for. I am thinking of going by the Oceanside CA service center to see if they can trigger it for me... but the issues some report with the 16.X updates has given me just a little pause.

Folks on 12.x... you don't have to keep your car connected to wifi all the time. if you go to the software tab, you will see if an update is ready to be downloaded. If so, there will be a message there that says "Software Update Available. Connect to WiFi to download." At that point you can connect to WiFi and it will download. Until it says that one is waiting, connecting to wifi won't help unless it just so happened that one was made available between times the car checked.

Before 12.x, you had no way of knowing when one was ready and so you just had to connec to wifi often. After 12.x, you can check if an update is ready to download without needing to be on wifi. They added this for those who don't get wifi in their garage/work.

(remember you only get the notice on your phone after the download is done and it's ready to be installed).

Not all cars get the same update pushed to them and certainly they don't get all the updates released. Your car will tell you when you have an update sent to your car and you'll need to download it. It will appear as a yellow clock at the top of your screen. If you have your settings on your phone set for notifications, you'll also get a notification to install pushed to you. You'll be able to do it remotely by phone if you want. Just be sure when you are ready to install the update (time to do so will vary) that you don't need to use the car until it's done. You'll be locked out of driving essentially.

BTW you can also go on your phone app to Schedule Service and near the bottom of the list is "Software Update". You can type in your request there.

Updates are usually pushed out to small groups first to get feedback and once things seem pretty set and buggy, will be sent out to more of the fleet.

Count yourself luck your M3 came with 2019.12. I received my care (home delivery) last Saturday and it is running on 2019.7. So I'm currious too on how long I'll have to wait to receive updates. I'm connected to WiFi too. I'm thinking of calling Tesla Support to see if they can expedite it, because I would like to have Sentry Mode before I have to take a trip to San Antonio in a month.

Count yourself luck your M3 came with 2019.12. I received my care (home delivery) last Saturday and it is running on 2019.7. So I'm currious too on how long I'll have to wait to receive updates. I'm connected to WiFi too. I'm thinking of calling Tesla Support to see if they can expedite it, because I would like to have Sentry Mode before I have to take a trip to San Antonio in a month.
do a chat with tesla support, they can let you know if your car (by VIN) was queued for an update or not