Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still on V9 software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
Is everyone else on version 10 by now? I'm still on V9 2019.32.2.2 da05838 - Model3 SR+ with tow bar.

Is it time to point this out to Tesla? I changed my software setting to "Advanced" a few days ago to see if that made any difference ... it didn't. Since v10 came out the car has been on WiFi for plenty of time ... in fact it sat for a week while we were away ... but no software download or update. The screen says the software is up to date. Could there be a towing element in the new software that's yet to be added? Anyone else with a SR+ with tow bar been upgraded?

We have LR with tow and have got latest (that I heard) 2019.32.12.2

I had turned off advanced, not wanting to take next big update, but 12.2 caught me out so I put advanced back on. It took maybe a day to recognise the 12.2 update.

Maybe a full reboot, leave it a day, then if still nothing, communicate with Tesla - think there is a software update option in the app service settings.

tbh, you are not missing much. I was expecting much more useful stuff with such a big fanfare as major version update.

Updates prefer to arrive over WiFi. And most prefer to come over Tesla service centre WiFi.

Standard cellular connections are often left behind... presumably to keep their data bill under control.

If your desperate and not too far from a service centre drive over one evening and park in their car park for an hour...

The message/icon to say update available seems to be independent of wifi/mobile connection although I think that may have been a V10 improvement so not relevant here. The actual download does however seem to require wifi.

Last edited:
Is everyone else on version 10 by now?

Crowd Sourced data suggests that 90% are ... I'm not. My downloads are hit and miss, and I have Advanced on. It will come when it comes ...

If your desperate and not too far from a service centre drive over one evening and park in their car park for an hour...

I don't recon that trick has worked for a couple of years ... since Tesla carparks started getting rammed with cars each time an update came out. But happy to be corrected on that.

I don't recon that trick has worked for a couple of years ... since Tesla carparks started getting rammed with cars each time an update came out. But happy to be corrected on that.

Not compelling evidence I know, but of the 2 updates I've had one was downloaded during my (only) visit to a service centre.

Still on v9 myself too. I managed to get a park in my street the other weekend and perched my WiFi range extender on the window ledge to get a poor-medium strength signal to the car, but to no avail. Seemed to be really burning battery when it was struggling with a poor-medium WiFi signal BTW.

Yes, I've avoided the WiFi channels that USA WiFi tech doesn't normally use. Also we are out in the sticks so there is no problem with competing channels here. I've tried using 11 and am currently on channel 1 ... will try 6 next. However, that shouldn't be the issue because the car does connect and has internet connectivity (though I do find the car's Wifi sensitivity rather low). It successfully downloaded a maps update a few weeks ago.

for the op and anyone else

1. make sure you have named your car
2. Wifi seems to be a requirement does not give software update over LTE, pair phone if wifi not avaliable
3. once downloaded , if you schedule a software update it may not work , I had to use the phone app four times to get a update to V10

However, that shouldn't be the issue because the car does connect and has internet connectivity (though I do find the car's Wifi sensitivity rather low). It successfully downloaded a maps update a few weeks ago.

thats what happened to me. Got a download on ch 1 and thought great, then it just got totally unreliable often managing to connect but not authenticate - often had to reenter the password. Gave up and moved to ch 5 and by and large, it just connects although parking at slightly different angles coincidentally seems also to make a difference.

I've had one was downloaded during my (only) visit to a service centre.

I've definitely had updates when my car was in for service, but I assume you were meaning "just visiting"?

If you have control of wifi channel

maybe someone can point me int he right direction pls?

My car connects to WiFi as soon as I park. The nearest hub is only a few metres away.

But that's it. I can't do any on WiFi such as play music or set a SatNav destination (i.e. it reverts to "Enter an address" off line mode)

I have no idea what, if anything, is being downloaded over WiFi ... but (looking at history) I get updates about once a month

WiFi channel would be set on the hub I would think. So whoever supports that would need to take a look. I randomly chose ch 5 and that made things far better than when I was on ch 1, but others recommend 6 based on less random thought process so would try that. I’m in the camp now of if it ain’t broke etc. so sticking with what I have working most of the time.

But WiFi connectivity is certainly is not it’s party trick.

WiFi channel would be set on the hub I would think

Can that account for "Connects and then doesn't appear to transfers data"? I was assuming that a good connection (which would include logon) meant that channel selection was fine (but interest to hear anyone's views on that)

I have two networks here, Business and Visitors. The Business one has firewalls, Cicso gear and all sorts. The Visitor one is deliberately "straight out". I can connect to either, but get the same outcome from both.

On ch 1 I was witnessing similar. It would seemingly connect but I don’t think it got IP address on all occasions- certainly the case on one attempt as it eventually said so but not on others.

It’s also failed on ch 5 a couple of times so it’s not sure fire fix. It also worked once on ch 1 but never again. So for us 5 is more reliable but not totally reliable. Angle of car may also play a part. Wireless access point is in my workshop on drivers side so signal needs to pass through a garage door and an internal wall with an open door - trivial for most devices. Changing angle of car slightly when parking so it is facing the access point more seems to give a slightly stronger signal but it’s a small sample set of tests and WiFi is notoriously fickle anyway so far from conclusive. It wouldn’t surprise me if antenna was in passenger side mirror but a number of sources say this is not the case so the angle of car would have less influence drivers side.

We are at stage of it works adequately.

Reactions: WannabeOwner