Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stockport recent pick up report M3 AWD LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model: AWD M3 Long Range, black

Just some quick notes:

Delivery/hand-over:

* Only received reg number 2 hours before pickup which made arranging insurance a little more of a pita than hoped for

* Had to wait 45 minutes after appointed time until I was dealt with as car was not cleaned

* Around 8 paint issues noted and logged by the handover person in their app - variously dimples, bumps (dust/dirt painted over?) a dent and a scuff. I asked him why he thought m3 paint issues were such a problem, he said that they aren't setup at Fremont with a proper paint environment. Not sure if this was fact or speculation, but something clearly wrong here. It has been a fairly well known process to apply paint correctly for many years. Not an unexpected issue but frustrating nontheless. Felt bad for the handover guy, not how he/I want to spend time.

* Handover took probably an hour but maybe 20 of these were logging the various paint issues

* Overall, handover was a poor experience because of the late supply of rego, the wait when at Tesla and the paint issues

The car:

* Quicker than expected

* Quieter than expected

* Interior cabin quality is better than expected

* Ride is great, visibility is great

* More miles/hour when charging @ home with standard plug (9 miles per hour)

* Had some issues with the app when the car is on 4g -- need to look into this they're not talking unless car on wifi at moment. I have seen fixes on internet just not had chance to try.

* Not really had a go with autopilot yet

* Electric is the future

The company:

* They clearly want to ship as much as quickly as possible to avoid financial problems. This is impacting quality and service.

* Felt bad for the staff, this goes to the top, or at least Quality and UK Service Management (and probably higher)

* They get away with it because the car/tech are game-changing but once the early adopters are saturated people will expect better quality and service.

Overall happy with the car. I've had premium Audi before (TT, great, no issues), most recently Land Rover Disco Sport (garbage and terrible build quality).

Overall happy with the car. I've had premium Audi before (TT, great, no issues), most recently Land Rover Disco Sport (garbage and terrible build quality).

Good input, shame about your paint issues but by all accounts Tesla are decent at addressing them.

I highlighted your last sentence as it resonated with me. Current car is a top spec 2018 Audi A4 Avant, it’s a brilliant car, superbly put together. I’m still slightly sad about selling it when the Tesla arrives but have decided that the time is right to adopt the EV movement. Before buying the Audi I had a Disco Sport, bought brand new from LR. Quality was shocking, rattles and issues galore. I got rid before the warranty ran out as it would have been very expensive to maintain.

Thanks for those observations M3North2019. I'm saddened that they haven't got their act together with the quality issues but as interbear states they are decent at sorting out issues once identified.
My problem will be if there are issues with mine once I take delivery, We live almost 140 miles away from the service centre and that really is a long way to get issues sorted that should have been sorted prior to delivery. Fingers crossed that the white is spotless! I can hope...........

Reactions: Rooster6655
Some minor paint defect, the odd slight scratch, swirl marks from poor cleaning I can maybe understand. But a dent in a brand new car is unbelievable to me. How can Tesla insider it appropriate to deliver a brand new car with a dent? I don’t get it.

Reactions: MrBadger
Model: AWD M3 Long Range, black

Just some quick notes:

Delivery/hand-over:

* Only received reg number 2 hours before pickup which made arranging insurance a little more of a pita than hoped for

* Had to wait 45 minutes after appointed time until I was dealt with as car was not cleaned

* Around 8 paint issues noted and logged by the handover person in their app - variously dimples, bumps (dust/dirt painted over?) a dent and a scuff. I asked him why he thought m3 paint issues were such a problem, he said that they aren't setup at Fremont with a proper paint environment. Not sure if this was fact or speculation, but something clearly wrong here. It has been a fairly well known process to apply paint correctly for many years. Not an unexpected issue but frustrating nontheless. Felt bad for the handover guy, not how he/I want to spend time.

* Handover took probably an hour but maybe 20 of these were logging the various paint issues

* Overall, handover was a poor experience because of the late supply of rego, the wait when at Tesla and the paint issues

The car:

* Quicker than expected

* Quieter than expected

* Interior cabin quality is better than expected

* Ride is great, visibility is great

* More miles/hour when charging @ home with standard plug (9 miles per hour)

* Had some issues with the app when the car is on 4g -- need to look into this they're not talking unless car on wifi at moment. I have seen fixes on internet just not had chance to try.

* Not really had a go with autopilot yet

* Electric is the future

The company:

* They clearly want to ship as much as quickly as possible to avoid financial problems. This is impacting quality and service.

* Felt bad for the staff, this goes to the top, or at least Quality and UK Service Management (and probably higher)

* They get away with it because the car/tech are game-changing but once the early adopters are saturated people will expect better quality and service.

Lots of deliveries going on at Stockport right now?

Some minor paint defect, the odd slight scratch, swirl marks from poor cleaning I can maybe understand. But a dent in a brand new car is unbelievable to me. How can Tesla insider it appropriate to deliver a brand new car with a dent? I don’t get it.
When you deliver so many, they become a number on a spreadsheet. The key is to instill a customer mindset at every stage, but that's hard when the next one along is just a few seconds (manufacture) to 30 mins (delivery handover) away. "I'll do the next one better", but the last one was someone's car too.

A little worrying that further down the line, these paint issues before a real problem. Remember Lancia Beta's rust was rife, but I guess as ally body I assume not that problem but still paint bubbling etc. later on in its life.

Also worrying, is the knock on effect for a year or so, as lack of SC's to carry out all this work that will be required in the near future.

I guess some of this comes down to the person detailing your car before delivery, some might be better / more experienced at it than others. I'm getting mine this week so ill make sure i give it a very good check over before I leave the SC, like some others its 140+ miles trip home.

Reactions: m3gt2
I guess some of this comes down to the person detailing your car before delivery, some might be better / more experienced at it than others. I'm getting mine this week so ill make sure i give it a very good check over before I leave the SC, like some others its 140+ miles trip home.

I will be doing the same when mine finally arrives but if it's just surface scratches in the clear coat I will just make not but it'll be fully machine polished for the ceramic coating anyway. Just for anyone interested PP Protect are currently doing a M3 special where you get full interior and exterior for £399 if you take it to them and I think £499 for them to come to you.

I went to the Knutsford showroom to have a nosey at the M3 before I ordered. There’s no service centre there. Interestingly it’s currently closed Monday to Friday, and I presume the staff have been sent to Stockport to help with deliveries.

I went to the Knutsford showroom to have a nosey at the M3 before I ordered. There’s no service centre there. Interestingly it’s currently closed Monday to Friday, and I presume the staff have been sent to Stockport to help with deliveries.
I dealt with somebody at Knutsford and recently rang Stockport and he answered the phone. Not sure if they are linked for phone calls or if he was actually there