Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stone Chips - How bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've ordered the White pearl and I know people have mentioned to get a PPF or a wrap but Its out of my budget unortunately .

I know stone chips seems to be more apparent on M3's due to the softer paint but for current owners, what is your experience? are you getting stone chips daily, weekly? I know it depends on the type of roads, and how much mileage but just looking for some info around this.

The paint on the Model 3 is no different that any other paint I have had on modern cars. If you do wand some protection, you can get just the lower parts of the bumper covered for a very affordable price.

... or if cost is a concern, you can get Chinese made molded mud flaps for $20 - $40 on Amazon... Alternatively, flat style mud flaps from tsolutions... Search on "Mud Flaps" and you will receive a wealth of information.

Reactions: mswlogo
Xpel PPF for lower 'rocker' (sill) area, trailing edge of rear wheel arch and lower doors fully wrapped should cost around £350 or so from an authorised Xpel installer - installer details on their website and I cannot reiterate the use of authorised installer enough.

This, and in combination with mud flaps, will protect the high impact area from likes of salt and grit shot blasting the area from wheel pickup that is affecting some cars due to the softer paint that Tesla use compared with other more premium vehicle manufacturers. There is a whole thread on the issue in main area and technical analysis by a SME highlights softer and thinner paint than expected even on multi coat finishes - usual Tesla crap cited of 'within spec' which is even worse as its potentially all cars not just a few duff batches.

Not yet there regarding seeing impact of salt and grit from UK roads, but it is clear from debris buildup already witnessed in just a few short trips, that these areas are subject to significant road debris impact. My personal view is that these areas will suffer over time. Mud flaps best bang for buck, but PPF will provide even more effective coverage especially if salt gets behind the mud flaps.

Last edited:
Where did you get it from and what colour was it?
I bought it from Autocolourz off eBay for £6.49 delivered. Looked for Tesla. My colour is Deep Blue Metalic although they call it Deep Blue Pearl, if I remember rightly. The aim to was match the colour code, which in my case is PPSB, which is found on the VIN label, stuck to the front passenger side door pillar. The top has a needle type applicator if you pull the end off or a very small brush inside if you screw the top off. I used the brush as it’s easier to regulate the amount of paint. Just a tiny drop fills the chip hole. Very pleased so far and will last the lifetime of the car hopefully [its got a ball bearing inside to assist shaking]

autocolourz | eBay Stores

xx.jpg

Last edited:
I bought it from Autocolourz off eBay for £6.49 delivered. Looked for Tesla. My colour is Deep Blue Metalic although they call it Deep Blue Pearl, if I remember rightly. The aim to was match the colour code, which in my case is PPSB, which is found on the VIN label, stuck to the front passenger side door pillar. The top has a needle type applicator if you pull the end off or a very small brush inside if you screw the top off. I used the brush as it’s easier to regulate the amount of paint. Just a tiny drop fills the chip hole. Very pleased so far and will last the lifetime of the car hopefully [its got a ball bearing inside to assist shaking]

autocolourz | eBay Stores

View attachment 470427
Strangely they don’t list Tesla red. I’ve sent them an email.

Reactions: Keeper