Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stone Chips - How bad?

Mikeoneuk85

Oct 13, 2019
Droitwich Spa
I've ordered the White pearl and I know people have mentioned to get a PPF or a wrap but Its out of my budget unortunately .

I know stone chips seems to be more apparent on M3's due to the softer paint but for current owners, what is your experience? are you getting stone chips daily, weekly? I know it depends on the type of roads, and how much mileage but just looking for some info around this.

jelloslug

Jul 21, 2015
Greenville, SC
The paint on the Model 3 is no different that any other paint I have had on modern cars. If you do wand some protection, you can get just the lower parts of the bumper covered for a very affordable price.

Reactions: mswlogo

jebinc

MSM Model S PLAID, cream/FSD; MYP, white on white
Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
The paint on the Model 3 is no different that any other paint I have had on modern cars. If you do wand some protection, you can get just the lower parts of the bumper covered for a very affordable price.

... or if cost is a concern, you can get Chinese made molded mud flaps for $20 - $40 on Amazon... Alternatively, flat style mud flaps from tsolutions... Search on "Mud Flaps" and you will receive a wealth of information.

Reactions: mswlogo

VanillaAir_UK

Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
Xpel PPF for lower 'rocker' (sill) area, trailing edge of rear wheel arch and lower doors fully wrapped should cost around £350 or so from an authorised Xpel installer - installer details on their website and I cannot reiterate the use of authorised installer enough.

This, and in combination with mud flaps, will protect the high impact area from likes of salt and grit shot blasting the area from wheel pickup that is affecting some cars due to the softer paint that Tesla use compared with other more premium vehicle manufacturers. There is a whole thread on the issue in main area and technical analysis by a SME highlights softer and thinner paint than expected even on multi coat finishes - usual Tesla crap cited of 'within spec' which is even worse as its potentially all cars not just a few duff batches.

Not yet there regarding seeing impact of salt and grit from UK roads, but it is clear from debris buildup already witnessed in just a few short trips, that these areas are subject to significant road debris impact. My personal view is that these areas will suffer over time. Mud flaps best bang for buck, but PPF will provide even more effective coverage especially if salt gets behind the mud flaps.

Last edited:

Obliter8

Jul 20, 2019
UK
2k miles in, and not a sausage. Buy the car, love the car, don't sweat the small stuff!

(With the caveat that I got mine ceramic coated)

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
I’ve done 3.3k miles and so far all I’ve got is a small stone chip on the bonnet. No sign of any damage around the wheel arches.

You could always leave it in the garage ;)

Reactions: pow216

ProfessorK

Aug 5, 2019
UK
I'd just get bodywork insurance if you're that worried. I may get it as I'm leasing the M3 (tech's always changing) so want to keep it tip-top.

Keeper

May 16, 2019
Surrey GB
I bought touch up paint with a small brush in the lid for £7ish delivered and the chips disappear. A very good colour match. Took the colour code from the sticker on the passenger door pillar.

m3p_uk

Aug 1, 2019
UK
I bought touch up paint with a small brush in the lid for £7ish delivered and the chips disappear. A very good colour match. Took the colour code from the sticker on the passenger door pillar.
Where did you get it from and what colour was it?

Keeper

May 16, 2019
Surrey GB
Where did you get it from and what colour was it?
I bought it from Autocolourz off eBay for £6.49 delivered. Looked for Tesla. My colour is Deep Blue Metalic although they call it Deep Blue Pearl, if I remember rightly. The aim to was match the colour code, which in my case is PPSB, which is found on the VIN label, stuck to the front passenger side door pillar. The top has a needle type applicator if you pull the end off or a very small brush inside if you screw the top off. I used the brush as it’s easier to regulate the amount of paint. Just a tiny drop fills the chip hole. Very pleased so far and will last the lifetime of the car hopefully [its got a ball bearing inside to assist shaking]

autocolourz | eBay Stores

xx.jpg

Last edited:

BelfastEV

Jul 7, 2019
Belfast
Anyone know what the code is for the white paint they supplying as the free colour now ? I’ve a white SR+ coming mid Nov. Would like to order for touch ups .

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
I bought it from Autocolourz off eBay for £6.49 delivered. Looked for Tesla. My colour is Deep Blue Metalic although they call it Deep Blue Pearl, if I remember rightly. The aim to was match the colour code, which in my case is PPSB, which is found on the VIN label, stuck to the front passenger side door pillar. The top has a needle type applicator if you pull the end off or a very small brush inside if you screw the top off. I used the brush as it’s easier to regulate the amount of paint. Just a tiny drop fills the chip hole. Very pleased so far and will last the lifetime of the car hopefully [its got a ball bearing inside to assist shaking]

autocolourz | eBay Stores

View attachment 470427
Strangely they don’t list Tesla red. I’ve sent them an email.

Reactions: Keeper

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC