Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stopped by Tesla today...wow...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the distribution/logistics business and I can say is wow. Stopped by Tesla to check on car. One week ago got a 2-5 week text. Last night I received a text stating to complete my online profile. I logged in, of course it was complete. So I was near Tesla today and stopped in. The sales person was kind enough to let me view their screen as they checked my order.

All I can say is I have never seen such a horrible logistics setup. First, they have ZERO visibility on when cars will arrive. Zero visibility on what comes off the assembly line...Basically a trucking company will call 1 day out to arrange delivery. Then when the cars arrive, they are manually received into their system. Here is the best part, then a human needs to go and manually assign a vehicle to an existing order. They told me that if someones financing falls through, or they back out of the vehicle, then they have to manually assign that vehicle to someone else. They did have a RED MY on the lot and he actually demonstrated to me how he assigned the vehicle to an order....Then I was told a story how when M3 came out, an employee failed to assign close to 30 vehicles for a two week period and alot of folks got mad....Hard to believe a technology company like Tesla has no technology in place to expedited and fulfill deliveries.

I am in the distribution/logistics business and I can say is wow. Stopped by Tesla to check on car. One week ago got a 2-5 week text. Last night I received a text stating to complete my online profile. I logged in, of course it was complete. So I was near Tesla today and stopped in. The sales person was kind enough to let me view their screen as they checked my order.

All I can say is I have never seen such a horrible logistics setup. First, they have ZERO visibility on when cars will arrive. Zero visibility on what comes off the assembly line...Basically a trucking company will call 1 day out to arrange delivery. Then when the cars arrive, they are manually received into their system. Here is the best part, then a human needs to go and manually assign a vehicle to an existing order. They told me that if someones financing falls through, or they back out of the vehicle, then they have to manually assign that vehicle to someone else. They did have a RED MY on the lot and he actually demonstrated to me how he assigned the vehicle to an order....Then I was told a story how when M3 came out, an employee failed to assign close to 30 vehicles for a two week period and alot of folks got mad....Hard to believe a technology company like Tesla has no technology in place to expedited and fulfill deliveries.
Different than my understanding. I agree their logistics is a mess but the 4 times I checked with my sales contact she was able to track my VIN - on a train to Arkansas, off the train waiting for space on a truck, in transit to Austin on the truck, off loaded at the Tesla store.

Reactions: Reborn
Very strange...In my online profile, I do not have a VIN assigned.... They did show me how they assign a VIN on their GUI. One thought is maybe pay types matter..If financing or a trade in is involved, maybe a vin needs to be assigned?

My friend also took delivery of his MY last month, at no point in time did he ever have a VIN show up in his account. The only communication he had was a text message that stated his delivery would be ready on a specific day and reply to accept it.

Most efficient drive-train and electronics 10/10. Delivery Logistics 3/10. Question to ask is which metric is most important once you drive off in your new Tesla and which metric is nice to have before you do?
What metric is poor build quality and reliability? There are more than fit and finish issues.

For EVs being inherently less complex, our Tesla’s have far more issues than any Honda or Toyota we’ve owned, and on par with the finicky European brands.

Reactions: InternetDude

I went to my Delivery Center today and they were able to see some EST dates in the system but then I received my VIN right after I left which means a human is responsible for manually assigning the vehicles.

I honestly believe there's no rhyme or reason as to how Tesla decides who gets their vehicle first.

Here's a recap of my Tesla journey...

08/01: ordered All black with 19" gemini's and paid $100 deposit Original est delivery of 4-8 weeks
08/08: upgraded to 20" induction's and submitted credit app
08/10: credit app approved (slight delay b/c I had to unlock TU otherwise would've prob been approved instantly)
08/10: estimated delivery window disappeared from my account page
08/10: spoke with (phone) Service Advisor at Tesla store who told me to expect delivery mid to end of Sept because my car was in "pieces" at the factory
08/11: uploaded insurance info for my current vehicle as placeholder to ensure my file was complete
08/14: spoke with (phone) Service Advisor at ACTUAL Delivery Center location who said they couldn't see the est delivery date but the original window (4-8 weeks) should still apply so expect vehicle by mid Sept
08/15 @ 10:30AM: Drove to Delivery Center and spoke with a different Service Advisor IN-PERSON who pulled up my account and showed me that the order date in Tesla's system shows 08/10 (date credit approved) Est Factory Build Date of 08/24 and Est Delivery Date of 09/02
08/15 @ 1:30PM: Received text that my Model Y delivery is ready to be scheduled

I received all necessary docs and VIN (33XXX) within an hour after the text and scheduled pickup for Wed. 08/19

It's ironic that I received a text for delivery w/in 3 hrs after visiting the Delivery Center today so I'm guessing the Service Advisor manually assigned it to me.

I called to ask if the car was rejected by someone else and was told it was originally assigned to someone who is unable to pick up because they are stuck in another country due to COVID. So I'm either really lucky or they're lying about the reason. Hoping for the best.

There are so many revolutionary things about this company and its products. That's probably the reason that you're reading this. Most of us want our experience to be as perfect as possible, but we're happy to have a good experience -- one that is unique in the automotive industry. I remember ordering our Volt at the Chevy dealer, 7 years ago, and wondering if they got the order right, and all of the things that have been mentioned here. We waited and wondered what was happening at the plant in Detroit. We're about to order our MY and I'm REALLY looking forward to not having to go to the dealer, and squabble, and negotiate and play all of those BS games. I AM glad to learn from all of you about how to best navigate this new process. It's sure different here in the 21st Century... Better, I think.